long bed conversion

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

long bed conversion

Post by Justin »

I've decided to hold onto the crew for a bit longer but I am interested in this....

I have been seriously thinking about having my truck cut in halve professionally, extended, and dropping a long bed from a regular cab or extended cab pickup on the extended cab chasis. I would like this done for 2 reasons. 1) new look change and for versatility of a long bed, 2) ease of throwing my atv in the back.

Question is, would the truck still pass inspection even though it changes the vehicles gvwr or "dry weight"? I'm looking for a bed. Found some for $400 and I think that this would be needed to complete

1) lengthen frame
2) new rear driveshaft
3) lengthened brake lines
4) lengthened electrical lines
5) new exhaust
6) some new bed mounts
7) may have to relocate gas tank and or filler hose

What do you guys think? Would it be worth doing or will it just be something I would regret? I would have to think that something like this would probably cost $2500-$3000
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sounds good to me. I would like more of a bed too, but turning circle will be wide. I saw a crew cab bed for sale on ebay about a year ago...it was for sale buy a shop that does just what you are talking about.
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

yeah I saw that post a while back too. I didn't see an email on the site so i sent a message through ebay. I doubt it got to him. The place that does the conversion was in upstate New York about 1 hour from my school. Wish he contacted me ... :?
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

If your going to do that I would get a ZR2 bed and front ZR2 fenders :idea:
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Justin wrote:yeah I saw that post a while back too. I didn't see an email on the site so i sent a message through ebay. I doubt it got to him. The place that does the conversion was in upstate New York about 1 hour from my school. Wish he contacted me ... :?
did ya try running the domain through alldots or networksolutions etc.? maybe get a contact that way?
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

no that didn't help. Thanks though. I may just go to my local speed and truck shop and have the guy look around for me...
Jim

Post by Jim »

Justin wrote:no that didn't help. Thanks though. I may just go to my local speed and truck shop and have the guy look around for me...
Many new trucks are lengthened to make rollbacks & box trucks. It's done all the time. Many truck frame shops are capable of doing the job.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you need mounts , and the bed , why not just back half it?
When you buy the bed get the frame rails too then you will already have the mounts you need.
Save the CC bed and frame rails, pick up a cheap axle and make a matching trailer out of it ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

If you need mounts , and the bed , why not just back half it?
When you buy the bed get the frame rails too then you will already have the mounts you need.
Save the CC bed and frame rails, pick up a cheap axle and make a matching trailer out of it
The trailer sounds like a neat idea and i have seen it done but the whole reason why I am doing this is to eliminate the use of a trailer. I'm not really experienced with cutting trucks in half so i will contact someone as soon as possible and ask their advice. If it is better to find a longbed pickup truck beater or to buy a bed and have them do the custom fabrication to make it fit. Does seem alot easier to cut two trucks in halve and weld opposites right on. I'm assuming my suspension off the crew would bolt right up to a 2wd???
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

i dont know if the 2wd frame is the same....but you could find out...either way. cool! it can be done. i always wanted to do that to mine. instead i just bought a giant truck for 2700 bucks :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

at least your not wanting to stretch the body limo style i cant imagine what kinda headache that would be :x
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Well, I went to my truck shop and asked advice for the conversion. The guy laughed at me. He was trying to tell me what to do and I interrupted him teling him exactly what I had to do. All I asked was if there was a company that could lengthen and straighten the frame for me, I would finish. So after bs'ing with him and telling him it has been done to other trucks like mine, He referred me to a truck shop that swaps beds for utility beds. I will probbaly call monday or tuesday....
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

smokinjoe wrote:at least your not wanting to stretch the body limo style i cant imagine what kinda headache that would be :x
Check this! http://www.monsterlimo.com/
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

could you imagine parking that thing
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

smokinjoe wrote:could you imagine parking that thing
I'd think with that kind of lift, he could park wherever he wants. :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya i have seen that thing up close. its really ridiculous
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]