aftermarket shocks

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ldge
Regular
Regular

aftermarket shocks

Post by ldge »

i was reading the mod info page and under "aftermarket shocks" it said that crew cab stock shocks were worthless after 10k mile. why is that are they really that bad. How many of yall replaced yours.
red 02 crew cab, blacked out windows, remington mud brutes, 2 10" audiobahn subs, skid plate, hi-lift jack
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

replaced mine with ranchos much stiffer now rides like a truck
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I just replaced my originals after 60k miles with Bilsteins. I love them! I can't really say how much of an improvement the new ones are though since after 60,000 miles, my originals were so bad they were virtually nonexistant.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I hated mine when I got it with 600 miles on it. The shocks before my 3rd fillup but, I had traded a ZR2 for my crew and was spoiled.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I had two sets replaced under warranty. The stock shocks literally cost GM .99 and they will warranty them until expiration. I would bet that if you check yours , at least one is leaking already. This is not normal no matter what they might try to tell you.

My wife never liked the ride quality of the stock shocks, she felt car sick while riding. I really didn't notice it until I replaced them with some good shocks (Bilstein's).

Shocks are the first and best thing that you can do. These come stock with way less than acceptable shocks.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I've got about 74k miles on mine and I've grown rather accustomed to the squeaking noise they make and the gentle swaying sensation I get at highway speeds. I wouldn't change 'em for the world. :wink:
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Bilstiens at 60K... Love them, mayde a night and day difference in the way it rode, especially when pulling the boat.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

By any chance would bad (factory) shocks make the truck sway a bit at highway speeds???
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yup
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

OK. I gotta get `em! 50k miles and mine are TOAST!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Pauleo wrote:By any chance would bad (factory) shocks make the truck sway a bit at highway speeds???
Let's put it this way: They give new meaning to the term "Land Yacht". :lol:
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I know that there has been a TON of posts about shocks and that Bilsteins are viewed as the best. The thing is, I really don't wanna give $240 them! It's just out of my budget, plain & simple. Is there a "second best" out there? I heard some of you suggest the Ranchos. Are they priced any better? I guess I'm looking for a moderately priced shock and understand that I'll only get moderate performance from them. I just need something better than the stockers.

Oh yeah. And is the set up the same as an extended cab for shocks? Knowing that may make my search a little easier.
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

I suggest the Rancho RS5000's all 4 shocks for me was about $165.00(this is assuming you will be putting them on yourself). I do think the extended cab shocks are the same(ZR2's different?) as the crew's. As for the RS5000's I like them they give my crew a nice firm ride.
[size=75]2003 S-10 Crewcab Dark Metallic Green*Hidden Hitch Class 3 Trailer Hitch*Monro SensaTracs*Airaid Intake*Poweraid TBS*Custom Dual Exhaust*Tranny Cooler*Buffalo Stainless Step Bars*Hunter Grill Brush Guard*Delta Diamond Plate Tool Box*Bed Rhino Lined*APC Clear Corners*Hi Beam Mod*LT235/75/15 BFG All Terrains*Full Skid Plates with Transfer Case Done by SkidZ.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Second best and affordable? That is a good question.

I can't say I have a very good answer. Any gas charged shock absorber will be better than the stock shocks.

Do your research and taylor them to your driving. Most shocks do not do a very good job of offering excellent offroad performance/durability and still have good highway/street characteristics. An offroad shock gets pounded in and out for long periods. It needs to handle the rough without beating everything to pieces. This builds heat. So a concern here would be shock fade. You don't want a shock that rides really rough, and only rides nice after you have enough heat to fade. That is a race shock.
A good highway shock doesn't build as much heat. It needs to smooth the road and offer some resistance to body roll during evasive maneuvers. It needs to be soft for cruising, yet firm in a hard corner.

Some of the things to consider:
Oil volume- more is better
Reservoir design: monotube cools better since all the oil is in contact with the cooling surface.

These two have trade offs. A dual tube designed shock will have more oil, but sacrifices the cooling of the monotube design.

Valving- Springs weaken over time. Those that do not have springs last longer. The more springs that a shock has the lower the longevity.
Adjustable valving is fun for a few days. After they are where you are comfortable, it is likely you'll never use that adjustability again.

Piston rod- A durable finish is desireable and bigger is better.

Reservoir position- Up is better. The debris can not sit in the seals and the reservoir is higher to avoid damage.

Shielding- Plastic for sure. The metal shields tend to crack loose and rattle as well as rub the reservoir. Convoluted boots are the better choice.

These are just my opinions. I'm sure there are some points that I missed.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

I put Monroe Sensatracs on my truck after 25k miles and they handle and ride much better than the stockers (I think thats a given for any replacement to the stockers :lol:) When I took them out on the track (yes in the CC) they handled wonderfully and controlled body motion rather well.
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Yeah, I don't do any off roading to speak of. Although I WANT TO BADLY and given the chance I would!!!! All my driving is paved surfaces. So I don't think I need anything heavy duty. Just something that will make the CC ride more like a truck. And, of coarse, be durable.
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

LINK Got my Bilsteins here for under $200

Linked long url-HJ[/url]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you are shopping for Bilstein's I would recommend trying ORW they frequently offer free shipping on Bilstein shocks.
There must be some sort of manufacturer price fixing since the prices seem to be the same everywhere at $59.99 each.
It is hard to swallow spending $240 for shocks, but they are truly a lifetime shock.

However for someone who may not be keeping their truck "long term" it is reasonable to find "second best" at a more affordable price.

No answers yet, but some one will find the right answer ;)
Last edited by HenryJ on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Ok should I buy OEM ? Whats the differance between s-10 w/ zr2 or s-10 w/o zr2.

Are skyjackers junk???

Mark
~2001 S-10 Crew Cab Black~
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tribecrist wrote:Ok should I buy OEM ? Whats the differance between s-10 w/ zr2 or s-10 w/o zr2...
If you are refering to OEM-Bistein's then , Yes.

The RPO ZR2 shocks are longer due to the change in suspension mounting points.

This thread might be worth a look too- Bilstein Shocks
In checking that thread, I see that Performance Products might be a good place to look.
I bought the heavy duty front and rear shocks.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

No one's mentioned ProComp shocks, so I guess I'll throw my 2cents in. I've never owned Bilsteins or Rancho's, so I have no basis on which to compare shocks, but I'll give you my opinion.

I bought my ES9000 shocks for about $35 per shock. The front rides about the same as stock to me, but the rear is a bit stiff. It does ride more like a truck though, and swaying is greatly minimized. Body roll in curves is reduced as well. All in all, if you want a set of cheap shocks, I think the ES9000's are a good choice. But again, like someone said above, your shock selection should depend on your tastes as far as ride comfort, handling, etc... :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Thinking I might go with these.

Just cause they are RED like my CC! :wink: :lol:

$146 plus a $12.95 handling fee from this place.
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

I went with the pro-comp ES9000...

153.45 total inc. s&h & w/boots.

Mark
~2001 S-10 Crew Cab Black~
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Has anybody heard anything about them Edelbrock IAS shocks. They are supposed to be "smart".

[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
tzdevill

Post by tzdevill »

just sold a trans out of my car so i can half way fford shocks for the truck. i am thinking the pro comp but they dont show that they fit the 04 am i just losing my mind???
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

No diffrence shock wise for your '04 than earlier crews.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
tzdevill

Post by tzdevill »

that is what i thought just wanted to make sure before i threw away a couple hundred
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

tzdevill wrote:just sold a trans out of my car so i can half way fford shocks for the truck.
Hmmm, I wonder if I can get away with selling parts off my wife's car to get that lift kit I want? :idea:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

If Mrs Rusty drives anything like Mrs Barch, she'll never miss the turn signals or mirrors. :roll:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

barch97 wrote:If Mrs Rusty drives anything like Mrs Barch, she'll never miss the turn signals or mirrors. :roll:
:roflmao: :roflmao: Must be a CC wife's requirement :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

About the only thing I couldn't get away with is the stereo. Oh and the A/C in the summer. Just about nothing else matters, as long as she can blast her tunes. :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rusty wrote:...Just about nothing else matters, as long as she can blast her tunes. :lol:
Funny you should mention that :lol: I just finished installing an amplified sub in my wife's car :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

Post by jajwrigh »

I just ordered the ranchos and daystar shackles!! I hope to have a better setup by the end of the week. I have 2 blown shocks for sure and the ride is sloppy at times...the joys of modding!
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

HenryJ wrote:
Tribecrist wrote:Ok should I buy OEM ? Whats the differance between s-10 w/ zr2 or s-10 w/o zr2...
If you are refering to OEM-Bistein's then , Yes.

The RPO ZR2 shocks are longer due to the change in suspension mounting points.

This thread might be worth a look too- Bilstein Shocks
In checking that thread, I see that Performance Products might be a good place to look.
I bought the heavy duty front and rear shocks.
One thing to mention - my Blazer and most ofther 4x4 Blazers I see have OEM Bilsteins - might be worth checking a local salvage yard - bet you could pull a set for no more than $50.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

adrenalnjunky wrote:One thing to mention - my Blazer and most ofther 4x4 Blazers I see have OEM Bilsteins - might be worth checking a local salvage yard - bet you could pull a set for no more than $50.
Yeah my wifes has factory Bilsteins...maybe I should make a switch??? She'd never know...hehe....but I think I like the red of the Ranchos....man I need more money (and more time)....for modding.
tzdevill

Post by tzdevill »

Rusty wrote:
tzdevill wrote:just sold a trans out of my car so i can half way fford shocks for the truck.
Hmmm, I wonder if I can get away with selling parts off my wife's car to get that lift kit I want? :idea:
i was told by my wife to stay away from her car when selling stuff. Honda stuff has gotta go, no more extras.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

check ebay for shocks I found my fronts new in the box for 50 bucks delivered the guy bought the wrong shocks.