lift kit

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

brent

lift kit

Post by brent »

I have an 04 crew cab,zr5. Im wanting to put a 2 or 3 inch lift kit on it. What brand and where do i need to get the kit. Im doing this so I can put larger tires on it. Is this task difficult?
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

What you're going to want to do is search the lift section on this site. But what I would suggest for a lift like that, is the Performance Accessories 2" Body lift ($200 or so), then get some lift shackles ($50 or so), then turn the torsion bars to get another 1" in the front (but you must then get an alignment)... This will accomodate 30" tires without a problem. Some are running 31" but may have some rubbing issues? Also pick up a set of 1.25" or 1.5" spacers for the rear wheels to even up the track a little more. Here's a side view photo of mine with the body lift, shackles, and 30" tires. I see that you have the Zr5 as well, you may want to opt to do the modification to the stock step bars to raise them 2" after the lift. Looks alot neater that way. Both me and top_sgt have pictures and a write ups on how to do that in other sections of this site. Good Luck!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Also search for the marvelous mystery lift , by HJ , way better choice to run larger tires with out a 6" Super lift or The BDS lift .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

A note on the rear spacers. And remember, this is all up to personal preference: 1" or 1.25" spacers will make your rear track as wide as the front. If you go with 2" spacers on each side, your rear track will be 2" wider than the front total. I've found that using the 2" spacers makes the rear tires line up with the rear fender bulge, which in turn makes them look more like the front IMO.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

[quote] I see that you have the Zr5 as well, you may want to opt to do the modification to the stock step bars to raise them 2" after the lift. Looks alot neater that way. Both me and top_sgt have pictures and a write ups on how to do that in other sections of this site. Good Luck!
[quote]

I was searching for how to raise the factory step bars but couldn't find anything. I need to do this too. I have a zr5 as well.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Ace, in my album I have a picture of each of the brackets and you can see what needs to be done. Basically, you need to drill holes two inches below the highest holes on the brackets. The bolts are welded onto the frame, so if you want to remove the lower ones that wont be used anymore, you can grind them off or just put the nut back on. The front driverside bracket needs to be modified because of a clip holding the parking brake cable. Also, you will need to drill out holes for the parking brake cable to pass through on the driverside brackets. It isn't that hard to do, but I would recommend a nice set of drill bits and a drill press for this job. Any other questions or concerns, let us know! Good Luck!

-Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

BobbleSmitty wrote:Ace, in my album I have a picture of each of the brackets and you can see what needs to be done. Basically, you need to drill holes two inches below the highest holes on the brackets. The bolts are welded onto the frame, so if you want to remove the lower ones that wont be used anymore, you can grind them off or just put the nut back on. The front driverside bracket needs to be modified because of a clip holding the parking brake cable. Also, you will need to drill out holes for the parking brake cable to pass through on the driverside brackets. It isn't that hard to do, but I would recommend a nice set of drill bits and a drill press for this job. Any other questions or concerns, let us know! Good Luck!

-Bob
Thanks guys when I get right down to doing this I might have more questions but I'm glad to see you were successful at this. My bodylift is going on this month!! Can't wait. I already have tires ready.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
brent

Post by brent »

thanks for the info guys. Where is the best place to purchase this equipment?
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

For the Body Lift, try ebay. It's part number is PA 192. If you're unsuccessful there, try SummitRacing.com or Stylinconepts.com... they should have it around 200. The Spacers, check ebay for those too. A guy on ebay (Completevalue) makes them and they're good quality. Most people suggest Hubcentric spacers. But also check the classified section on this site too, they're always for sale. The shackles can be found alot of places, including this site, ebay, a bunch of stores... Most people suggest non greasable. If you do a separate searchs on spacers and shackles you'll find tons of info on this site about them.
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

hey hey!!

is this a good deal for only a few inch lift situations?
link Link't long url-HJ

I'm just looking for more room with the 30 by 9.5 tires,
[size=75]I love Homer Simpsons shoes[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

The problem with using new Torsion Bay keys to raise the front is that you're stretching a suspension that doesn't like to be stretched. Some people have had CV boots come off by just cranking the TB's with the stock keys. Using the new keys will surely cause problems. One being that it may be impossible to align the front end. Not to mention ball joint problems, etc... All in all, it's best to get a 6"+ lift, or a body lift. Stay away from smaller (2-4") lifts on S-10's.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

30x9.5 is do-able without a lift kit. i just cranked the torsion bar and have had few problems with rubbing.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares