Air Injection Pump Filter

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Air Injection Pump Filter

Post by killian96ss »

The secondary air injection system on our trucks does not have a filter before the air pump. Moisture and contamination is the leading cause for failure of this system. 3 years ago I removed the air system from my SS and I had an extra filter left over form my K&N FIPK. The filter was for the air pump to keep contaminates out of the system. The air injection system on my SS and CC are exactly the same so I decided to use the filter on the CC's intake hose for the air pump. It fits perfectly and I have been using it for nearly 3 years now with no problems. I can tell for sure the filter is working because I have cleaned it twice and each time there was a good layer of muck on it. :shock:

The filter is K&N part # 62-1030.

Summit has them for $15.69. :D

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Do you have a photo of where its located? I remember in my first generation S there was a filter in the bottom of a canister that was mounted to the wheel well. I had to pull the canister to change it.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

No pictures. :( The stock air pump has a rubber tube that is unfiltered and is located right next to the lower half of the fan shroud on the passenger side. The hose comes up out of the pump and then has a 180* bend making it point straight down. GM really screwed up by not putting a simple filter on the end of the hose, and this is the main reason this system fails. I have noticed that on most GM vehicles that the air pump tube either has it's own filter or the hose is connected to the factory air filter box. I guess they forgot about the filter on the late model S-Series. :roll: BADs Crew, the filter you are referring to is the charcoal canister filter which is part of the evaporative emission control system, and not the air injection system. :wink:

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Thanks for the info. I will look at it this weekend.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]