Air Injection Pump

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Air Injection Pump

Post by HenryJ »

Shimaze wrote::x :x Ah, throw that pump in the trash! :x :x

I have three GM cars, a 1994 Camaro Z/28, a 1996 Impala SS and the 2001 S10 Xtreme …and every single one of them has a bad air pump. BTW, they all have the same air pump & air pump problem. My truck is a 2001 with 4.3L, 5 Speed w/ 57,xxx miles (just like yours) I have replaced the one on my Camaro before I knew better and the dealer replaced the one on my truck under warranty. They both only lasted a year. I bought the Camaro new and the original one lasted just a couple of months beyond the warranty.

If you still feel the need to replace the air pump, be sure to replace both check valves. This is the main reason they fail. Exhaust leaks past faulty air pump check valves and the moisture condensates in the air pump. This moisture is extremely corrosive. I took the old pump on my Camaro apart and I could not believe the corrosion. It looked like it was submerged in salt water for a year. One other thing the dealer did on my truck when he replaced the cir pump was run the air inlet hose to the pump under the fender near the battery. This was supposed to keep it away from the hot intake and prevent the air pump from failing. Obviously it didn’t but I guess it was better than nothing.

My Camaro has a TSB (technical service bulletin) on it and it says to replace the 25 amp fuse with a 30 amp and replace the check valves. On my Impala, it has a TSB that says to remove the air pump. Attached is a link to the Impala’s TSB and a pic of the sticker used for emissions inspectors.

If you do decide to remove the air pump, you will have to cap of the air injection tubes and you will have to have the PCM reprogrammed to delete this code. Just having the PCM reprogrammed to delete only the air pump is a waste. But if you have the EGR and post cat O2 deleted; as well as having the speed limiter removed and the fuel & ignition adjusted for better performance, then reprogramming is a cost effective method of getting the SES light to turn off.

I have attached a link to thread on S10forum.com and the links for the Impala stuff. As you will see, this is a common problem and trying to fix it is a loosing battle. Just remove the stupid thing and your problem will be avoided. I have not yet removed the one on my truck or Impala, but I did remove it on my Camaro. I will try to take some pics of my truck to create a thread when I remove the air pump.

Good luck, Shimaze

Click here for s10forum.com thread

Click here for Impala TSB

pic

For those who need to pass an inspection, this label may be of assistance - 12569123 New Emission Label , GMpartsdirect.com price $9.13

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Good riddance to the piece of junk :P

My instrument cluster looks like a traffic stop in progress because of that stupid thing (SES, ABS, and EB lights).
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have done this on my SS and can tell you that unless GM has released a specific air pump TSB for the late model S10 you will have problems trying to pass smog. The sticker part # 12569123 is specific to the cars and years it was issued for. Programming will also be expensive because there is no existing GM air pump delete option for the S10. Even on my SS which is completely legal to do this on I have been harrassed by smog techs because they just don't like to see missing or altered emission components. I have even had to show them the GM printout from my local dealership which shows that they did install the correct TSB updates in my PCM. I'm not saying this can't be done on the S10, but I don't think it's legal in any state that has smog inpections. :wink: BTW, the air injection system is worthless and is only there to help the cat live a little bit longer.

Steve