stronger IFS?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

stronger IFS?

Post by Justin »

I typed in "s-10 lift" on ebay and came across these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2433646109

Seems like someone had the time to make some custom s-10 upper a-arms that are stronger than the stock ones. Could this solve our weak ifs problems and still be used with an ifs lift?
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

...................................... :shock:.....check out that buy it now price.

Click on the "View sellers other items" link and check out the custom battery tray.....

Well, here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2433638382
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

Custom battery tray fits yellow, red, blue, and ORANGE top batteries?

Anybody ever heard or seen an oragne top Optima battery? They aren't listed ont he website anymore if they used to exist?
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I've never heard of orange, either...back to the IFS, isn't Hobie supposed to bash IFS about now? :lol:
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok--but general impression is that the upper arm is a pretty well built item. Looks well built at least.

And the pics of the battery tray do show it with a Orange topped battery -- wonder if it's some "Branded" battery that is made by optima.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I think it's nice, but not something we really need. We need a bullet proof CV shaft. My A-arms work great. All your going to do with that is stress out your CV joints. It's a usless add-on, IMO. Looks nice though. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

Powdercoated suspension components are always nice...
-Jim
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: stronger IFS?

Post by Mike H. »

Justin wrote:Seems like someone had the time to make some custom s-10 upper a-arms that are stronger than the stock ones. Could this solve our weak ifs problems and still be used with an ifs lift?
I don't think our problem is with the A-arms being weak. They look like crap, but I've never heard of anyone actually bending one except through a direct impact. Our weakness problem seems to lie with the weak CV joints, CV boots, ball joints, and front axle in general.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Is it the cv's in general or the whole front end? There must be a place that builds custom cv boots and shafts that can take more of a beating.

I am just looking at it in terms of clearance for shocks as well as added strength. I doubt he will get $700 for the set
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The only problem I have had is the boot tearing on tree branches going through deep mud holes. Other than that, my front end is tight with 44k miles so far. But I keep stock CV angles also. I have replaced a driver side hub bearing which has worn imaturely IMO. Yes, the whole thing is weaker than other makes. The 93 Dakota I had before this truck was very strong, made of cast steel. But it's a trade off with anything. I really like Chevy engines and trannies, always have. And the inside fits me like a glove and I like the interier, everything is where it should be. :)
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote:I think it's nice, but not something we really need. We need a bullet proof CV shaft. My A-arms work great. All your going to do with that is stress out your CV joints. It's a usless add-on, IMO. Looks nice though. :?

I just thought about somthing. They people that made the CV joints and shafts bigger and stronger on my atv, started out on trucks. I believe it was 350 for a redone CV and very nice think rubber boots. The web page is http://www.gorilla-axle.com/gorilla_axl ... te_001.htm . ask him about trucks I know he'll do them, he even told me he started out on trucks and then started doing atv CVs.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

If I go that far, I'll go SFA. I just don't think a better design can be made for that short of a distance.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

very true, but 700 vs 3000+. and they know how ot build CVs. I would be able to blow out both front CVs and shafts in 4 high locked F/R and now i cant blow them in low.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

LOL--another Monroe, Louisiana tie-in. As Hobie said somewhere else--Louisiana is taking over this forum :lol:

That company operates out of an old gas station here in town -- They are a shop that speciallizes in CV Joint repair on anything that uses CV's. They've done CV's on 2 of my cars, my Fiancee's car, just redid all the boots on my Dad's 94 Z71. Good people to do business with -- fair pricing and good service.

Not to mention Superlift and Skyjacker are both here in town. I'm still kicking myself for not shopping my resume' around to those guys.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

adrenalnjunky wrote:LOL--another Monroe, Louisiana tie-in. As Hobie said somewhere else--Louisiana is taking over this forum :lol:

That company operates out of an old gas station here in town -- They are a shop that speciallizes in CV Joint repair on anything that uses CV's. They've done CV's on 2 of my cars, my Fiancee's car, just redid all the boots on my Dad's 94 Z71. Good people to do business with -- fair pricing and good service.

Not to mention Superlift and Skyjacker are both here in town. I'm still kicking myself for not shopping my resume' around to those guys.

Well, tell them to get their tukish in gear and get some lifts for the s-10! :wink:
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

matt, did you have that done to your grizzley. I like the polaris conversion. 21" of ground clearance. Just a little skeptical about that setup...is the lift included? Longer a arms needed?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

NTXCrew wrote:I've never heard of orange, either...back to the IFS, isn't Hobie supposed to bash IFS about now? :lol:

sorry i am late....ya IFS blows :lol:

ya, our front diff is weak too!!!!! dont forget that part as well as the cv's
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

How do you switch out front diff's on an IFS?
-Jim
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Rip it all out, install a Dana 44 :D
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

NTXCrew wrote:How do you switch out front diff's on an IFS?

you could upgrade to the full size IFS...only know of one person who has done it though
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

a2b wrote:

you could upgrade to the full size IFS...only know of one person who has done it though

Does it bolt right in?
-Jim
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Rip it all out, install a Dana 44 :D

youz a crazy person!!
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Justin wrote:matt, did you have that done to your grizzley. I like the polaris conversion. 21" of ground clearance. Just a little skeptical about that setup...is the lift included? Longer a arms needed?

I had both my front CVs and shafts redone by them and they are impossible to blow. I believe conversions need custom suspension arms but can be done. They may sell full kits to do that im not sure, email, or call them and see what they say. Fill me in on what they say too, I like that grizzly lift up like that too. I also have thought about doing SFA and SRA on my atv with dana 10 axles made for 4x4 golf carts. Id make up some custom traction bars and keep my front shocks and weld them straight to the axle. New tie rods maybe needed, im not sure the dana 10 is only about 3"s wider. But other then that it looks like they would just plug right in.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

NTXCrew wrote:
a2b wrote:

Does it bolt right in?

not a chance
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\