Drivers door doesn't seal

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

kegrill
Regular
Regular

Drivers door doesn't seal

Post by kegrill »

Hey guys,
I've read about the door hinge pins and bushings and was wondering if this problem would cause my door from sealing at the front edge near the window? At first I thought it was a weather stripping problem but that looks fine. I can actually see light through the door and body when the door is shut. The wind noise is terrible too. Any advise is appreciated.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Checking the hinge pins would be a good idea. Make sure that one has not just fallen down. Then if that looks good open the door a few inches and lift at the back of the door. This should reveal any slack in the hinge pins or bushings.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Open the door about 8 inches and see it it has a lot of play when you lift up on the door. If it does you may need the replace the pins and bushings.

I once watch a locksmith wedge a car door to gain access to the power door lock. I know he had to bend the door post because he had a 2 inch gap at the top of the door. If its not the pins and the gaskets are good I would drop by a body shop and have them take a look.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I need to try this as well. It sounds like you're next to a waterfall when going 70mph. :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I don't know for sure about you S10 folks but my Sonoma has a fine tuning adjustment knob for this. It's near the center of the dashboard and marked "pwr volume". Just turn it clockwise and the door noise goes away. :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

BADs Crew wrote:Open the door about 8 inches and see it it has a lot of play when you lift up on the door. If it does you may need the replace the pins and bushings.

I once watch a locksmith wedge a car door to gain access to the power door lock. I know he had to bend the door post because he had a 2 inch gap at the top of the door. If its not the pins and the gaskets are good I would drop by a body shop and have them take a look.
Remove the door panel, leave the window down, place knee firmly against door just below the window opening near the mirror mount and pull toward you. If it's not the door that's bent and it's the hinge, the lower rear of the door won't line up with the lower rear door, bend the lower hinge by sticking a 2x4 in the opening at the lower hinge and gently push the door shut until you hear the wood crunch, if it's not enough, repeat. This is the only hinge adjustment available with welded hinges, this will bring the lower door out and the upper door in :)
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
kegrill
Regular
Regular

Post by kegrill »

The door does have a little play in it. I notice that when I open it it drops a little. When lifting up the play in it doesn't seem as much as as it drops. I might try the 2x4 trick and see if that helps.
Thanks for the input.
kegrill
Regular
Regular

Post by kegrill »

OK, so I woudn't say good as new but a great improvement for sure. Thanks for the help.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

kegrill wrote:The door does have a little play in it. I notice that when I open it it drops a little. When lifting up the play in it doesn't seem as much as as it drops. I might try the 2x4 trick and see if that helps.
Thanks for the input.
If your door drops when you open it, then you need to replace the hinge pins/bushings, (as HJ said). :wink: Yes, faulty hinge pins/bushings will cause the door from sealing completely and let water/wind in. I had the same problem a year or so ago. However, now when you replace the pins/bushings, the door may not line up right due to the 2x4 trick. :roll: The parts only cost a couple dollars to fix properly, or several hundred to cut off the old bent hinge and re-weld on an unbent hinge. :!:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
kegrill
Regular
Regular

Post by kegrill »

Ordered pins and bushings today. Should have em soon.
Jim

Post by Jim »

kegrill wrote:Ordered pins and bushings today. Should have em soon.
Don't forget the spring tool :D
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK