4.3L Vortec history

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

4.3L Vortec history

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Just a quick question...

I thought I remember reading somewhere that our engine is just a shortened 350? If so, is it a shortened LS1, LT1, etc... ??
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

It's a semi-shortened small block chevy......The old style 350 that has been around since the dawn of time.

LT1 was upgraded heads and cams I believe

LS1 was a COMPLETE redesign on the small block, and has ZERO interchangeable parts with the old style.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

I think the best comparison would be the L31 since it's the 5.7L Vortec engine so would be the same beast.
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

The 4.3 engine use's a 90 degree block. Its the center line between the middle of the pistons to the middle of the crank. Just like the 350 or small block v8. The 90 degree set up has alot of vibrations thats why GM installed a balance shaft. I think a other v6 motors were set up at 60 degrees.