engine shut off? *Solved*

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

engine shut off? *Solved*

Post by kermit »

... so I was driving along to school this morning, obeying the speed limit and what not. I put my turn signal on to turn right just like I always do, applied the brakes, and just as I began turning the steering wheel, the engine shuts off and my steering locks up! :shock: I slammed on brakes stopping in the middle of the road. (luckily I don't live in a heavily populated area, and there wasn't any traffic.) I tried to crank the truck up again, realizing it was still in Drive, I shifted to Park and got the ignition to turn over and the truck idled a little rough. As soon as I tried to shift back into gear, the engine shut off again. After 3 or 4 tries of starting the ignition... the truck finally went into gear without shutting off and I somehow managed to make it to school on time. On my drive home, all was fine and dandy...

Any ideas on why the h*ll the engine shut off in the middle of my morning drive? :?:
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

clogged fuel injector?
how long/miles since last fuel filter replacement?
old/bad/wet gas?
bad spark plug/wire/rotor/cap? (but that likely would not have improved as described)
out of gas? (again probably wouldn't have improved)
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

i don't think it had anything to do with the gas, i had 1/2 tank

it only shut off when i shifted out of park and into gear....

???
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

barch97 wrote:clogged fuel injector?
how long/miles since last fuel filter replacement?
old/bad/wet gas?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

When I had moisture and corrosion in my distributer it acted like that. Very unsettling in traffic.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

I think I found the problem...

The ground cable to the battery was loose, possibly from the body lift... tightened it back down and so far, so good.