Coming up on 100K miles, suggestions for tune up?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

gofast505
Regular
Regular

Coming up on 100K miles, suggestions for tune up?

Post by gofast505 »

Nothing is wrong with the truck, smooth idle, performance is fine, but I am coming up on 100k and want to do some preventative maintenance if you know what I mean and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions (besides why have I waited to 100K :) . I am thinking fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, flushing the tranny and coolant. Maybe even biting the bullet and getting the hypertech, I heard i can get some of the power back from what was ropped by putting on the 31's. Thoughts, suggestions?

bl
[size=75]Send Beer.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you haven't done anything to this point, it is going to be an expensive and long process. I would plan on changing and flushing all the fluids. Differentials, transmission, brakes, power steering, coolant, etc.
Change all the filters air , oil, transmission.
Then a full tune-up with cap , rotor, plugs , wires.
Clean the throttle body and do a full SeaFoam treatment (intake, oil and transtune for the transmission)
A new belt would be a good idea.

While doing all this check the condition of bearings (waterpump , tensioner, alternator, etc.) It might be about time to go ahead and have new bearings and brushes for that alternator. Check hoses.
Watch for suspension parts in need of replacement. An alignment is overdue if you have never had one.

That will be good for a start.

Basically a comprehensive look at everything from top to bottom.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gofast505
Regular
Regular

Post by gofast505 »

Thanks for the response. I figured this would be in the neighborhood of about $1K, my local dealer does tranny, diff, coolant and xfer case for 650 which I am planning on doing. Great advice on the fuel system, can i pick up sea foam from any autoparts store is that a special order thing (never heard of it).

I have kept up on the oil and air-filter (k&n), honestly everything else has been tip top, my serp belt seems fine, i may pick another one up and keep it in the truck though.

I have had two alignments already since i put on the BL, and I lost lubrication on the caliper pin in one of the rear brakes, which caused the caliper to sieze in a location, causing a pad to burn up and then the rotar.

My hypertech programmer is on the way too, as well as some Bilstiens, and the NGK plugs.

bl
[size=75]Send Beer.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Napa, Advance, Autozone all should have the seafoam products.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Griff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Griff »

gofast505 wrote:Thanks for the response. I figured this would be in the neighborhood of about $1K, my local dealer does tranny, diff, coolant and xfer case for 650 which I am planning on doing. Great advice on the fuel system, can i pick up sea foam from any autoparts store is that a special order thing (never heard of it).

I have kept up on the oil and air-filter (k&n), honestly everything else has been tip top, my serp belt seems fine, i may pick another one up and keep it in the truck though.

I have had two alignments already since i put on the BL, and I lost lubrication on the caliper pin in one of the rear brakes, which caused the caliper to sieze in a location, causing a pad to burn up and then the rotar.

My hypertech programmer is on the way too, as well as some Bilstiens, and the NGK plugs.

bl
If you do the belt might as well switch to a Gatorback and get the March Power & Amp pulleys which won't set you back that much.
[size=75][url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?id=974]"Maxine"[/url]- K&N FIPK, Gibson Cat-Back, Knaffle Shackles and Receivers, Optima Red Top, Knaffle Sliders, etc.

I break at least 2 Federal Laws per day.[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Weren't the NGK's giving you guys alot of problems, (throwing codes),?
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:Weren't the NGK's giving you guys alot of problems, (throwing codes),?
Steve had trouble, Brule and I haven't.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I really like the NGK Irridium plugs so far.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK