Front End Fluid Seepage

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Front End Fluid Seepage

Post by F9K9 »

I've been leisurely changing drivetrain fluids this long holiday weekend. I was getting ready to change my front differential oil when I discovered this seepage between the front axle and differential. No drops formed yet but, was curious to know if this is something to be expected, it's no big deal or the beginning of a disaster? :!:

ImageImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Axle seal leakage. It would have to get much worse before I would deal with it.

If it does not leave a mess on the driveway, and does not require refill between oil changes, turn a blind eye.

Wipe it clean and watch it for a downward spiral. It may never get worse.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Thank you and my ducks thank you :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If it does get to the point of creating a "real" mess. Don't worry. Dropping the front diff and installing seals is not a bad weekend project.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:If it does get to the point of creating a "real" mess. Don't worry. Dropping the front diff and installing seals is not a bad weekend project.
As I have stated many times before now. "What Brule estimates for the time to perform a job, multiply it by 4 for me to perform it". :lol: Luckily. I have the extended warranty and if my current 33/10.50s may be implicated as the reason , I'll slap on the N90s with the 235/75s.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

f9k9 wrote:... if my current 33/10.50s may be implicated as the reason , I'll slap on the N90s with the 235/75s.
That should not be needed as the tires should not be a factor.
I would wager that the problem will not get worse until the warranty is long gone.

Oh, and you should be able to swap the diff at least twice in an afternoon. That makes the process easily done in a * "Wetter weekend".

(* Subject to proper parts availability)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:bonk:
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

Is it leaking or did a piece of grease get on to it and melt when it was getting a lube.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Valid question but, I am pretty sure it is leaking.