Safari Bar Bounce

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Safari Bar Bounce

Post by Cajun »

Ok, so I bought and installed a Westin Safari Light Bar on my CC and added a pair of Pro Comp 100 offroad lights to it . Everything is hooked up and ready to go, it gets dark I aim the lights according to the "Site Hi-Lites" and take off for a test drive. The light bar bounces so violently that the lights are all but useless. I checked the mounting of everything and all is tight, the light bar assembly simply flexes. Anyone else have this problem? Any fix?

Cajun
[size=75]03 ZR5 Crew Cab[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I welded gussets in my brackets. That helped to firm it up pretty good.
I have heard of others who added a strap tying into the bumper bolts under the grille.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Thanks for the input. I have been thinking about adding brackets to the bumper, but wanted to know what you experienced guys thought.

I have also contacted Westin, waiting for a reply, regarding this issue. everything about the product is great, fit, look, finish..., I just think that a product marketed as a light bar should actually work as advertised.

Thanks again!
superdad

Post by superdad »

Mine needed a little something also, It's bolted at the bumper at the corners and to the existing hole in the center of the bumper above the tag mounting area. I'ts as solid as the bumper now.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew, Petwer, 2" body lift-Tbar crank-Air Shocks, B&M shift improver, B&M Trany Cooler, Cold Air Filter, Westin Safari Bar, Color Matched Reciver.[/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Mine bounces a little when you push on it, but the lights are fairly stable when driving around. Maybe the revious owner gusseted it or something :dunno:

I can easily see adding a small tab that would go from the bar to the bumper bolt. The tab could slide between the bumper, and the grill, and easily be welded to the tubing. Little powdercoat, and it would look good as new, and be twice as strong.....However I have access to all that so it might not be as practical to others.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
superdad

Post by superdad »

Sorry, Here is a pic.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew, Petwer, 2" body lift-Tbar crank-Air Shocks, B&M shift improver, B&M Trany Cooler, Cold Air Filter, Westin Safari Bar, Color Matched Reciver.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

superdad wrote:Sorry, Here is a pic.
That's a cool light bar! 8) I wonder who makes one like that? :?

Steve
superdad

Post by superdad »

It's a Westin bar with a few changes.
The yellow areas are the added parts. I also modified the mounting plate so it doesn't hang down so far,
and to work with the 2" body lift.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

superdad wrote:It's a Westin bar with a few changes.
The yellow areas are the added parts. I also modified the mounting plate so it doesn't hang down so far,
and to work with the 2" body lift.
I like how you modified it! :thumb: It looks much better that way! :D

Steve
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Very nice Super dad!!!

Thanks for the ideas guys. The ZR2 site had some ideas also. Big honkin' zip ties from the cross bar to the recovery hooks is a low tech but effective solution that will work until I have time to add a couple braces from the cross bar to the bumper.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Cajun wrote:Very nice Super dad!!!

Thanks for the ideas guys. The ZR2 site had some ideas also. Big honkin' zip ties from the cross bar to the recovery hooks is a low tech but effective solution that will work until I have time to add a couple braces from the cross bar to the bumper.
Let me know if you have trouble getting some. I some zip ties that are 1/2" wide and have a 300 pound breaking strength :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

Walt,

Where do you get zip ties that big?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Ordered them through my work. We order supplies from a company called Tessco. They sell everything from shop supplies, phone repair parts, phone accessories to Cell Tower equipment/parts. :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have some left over "flexacuffs" (disposable hand cuffs) as well if, needed. Look like big cable ties.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:I have some left over "flexacuffs" (disposable hand cuffs) as well if, needed. Look like big cable ties.
Probably the same thing :)
--Walt