Peeling paint

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Peeling paint

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

I have a small problem with the paint peeling off. It's just the rear doors at the bottom on the leading edge. It's not the first time I've had paint problems, the last time the painter said it had been factory painted at least three times. He showed me the three colors as he sanded down through the paint. Has anyone else found the paint coming off really easily?

My worry is if I shoot new paint on the whole truck, is the bad factory paint going to peel off with the new paint? Do I have to get the truck media blasted first?

Are there any body guys who can help?

Thanks
[size=75]I love Homer Simpsons shoes[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I've had a problem similar to this with my 00 Sonoma. The paint on the hood started flaking in late 03 (just before I traded it for the CC). Turns out it had been painted before. My that runs the local body shop said that the best thing to do would be to sand the whole body and start from scratch.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Isn't that covered under body warranty?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!

It's a used truck and it's a used car waranty so it doesn't have a body clause. When you say 'sand' is that media blasting down to bare metal or just block sanding?

I'm going to get it painted to cover this problem, but I don't want to throw good money after bad if this going to be a "bandaid" solution. Any ideas??
[size=75]I love Homer Simpsons shoes[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I would still go talk to a GM service manager. I changed a tranny once only to find out that it had been recalled and I could have had it done for free. :twisted:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Sanded down to bare metal :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...