Weird Noise from Dash

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

ESOX
Regular
Regular

Weird Noise from Dash

Post by ESOX »

Maybe one of you guys have had this issue. The noise has been there since I bought the truck new in 02. Its not always present but its almost like a ticking sound when the truck is at idle. When the RPMs get above 1800 it goes away. I am so used it, it does not bother me but it drives my passengers crazy. Its not a constant sound it does speed up when the RPMs increase. It seems to be inside the dash because it is very difficult to hear when you have the hood open. I have looked and looked. But I don't really want to start taking things apart hunting for the sound the only present once and a while. I only have access to one car so any repair I make I have to go to the store first and I have to be sure that I get everything the first time. Like when I did the brakes last weekend and discovered the rear seals were gone. I had to take a cab to the parts store.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Relocate, lift or insulate the throttle cable under the hood where it is lying on the PCV solenoid. The ticking noise is transfered through the cable to the interior.

Buzzing Noise Behind Guage Cluster , Noise from intake?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

My crew has the tapping PVC valve that I need to fix. As in another thread my wife Blazer also makes that high pitched noise. I have not worked on it long enough to find the problem, I first though it was feedback from the radio but its not that or the blower motor. Any ideas let me know.
ESOX
Regular
Regular

HenryJ

Post by ESOX »

Your a freaking Genius. Do you work in a dealership?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: HenryJ

Post by HenryJ »

ESOX wrote:Your a freaking Genius. Do you work in a dealership?
I am not sure what Rick does, but I'm just a backyard mechanic from Oregon ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

I moved my throttle cable to the right side of the PVC valve, some how it worked its way on top of the PCV valve and was stuck between the throttle body plactic air intake and the PVC tube. A SHOUT OUT TO HENRY: THANKS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You're welcome, glad you figured it out :thumb: Thanks for letting us know :mg:

I'm not sure that I can take all the credit? This one has been around so long , I can't really remember who found it.
Thanks S-10CREWCAB.COM!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

i too have a ticking sound... i was looking under the hood today to find this pcv valve and can not locate it. what does it look like and where is it located???? i have 2 cables which i think are the throttle cables but they dont seem to be touching anything
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The positive crankcase ventilation valve is on the valve cover. The throttle cable goes from the throttle body to the firewall above the "go pedal".

If it is not transferring a ticking noise you will have to look elsewhere.

Those with auto climate controls may hear the sensor above the drivers head buzz or tick from time to time. Mostly at start-up.

- ThunderII KE7CSK