Wheel Spacer Problems

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Wheel Spacer Problems

Post by killian96ss »

What I am about to tell you guys is something that I have known for a long time and have stated my opinion on here once or twice in the past about wheel spacers but others have argued it and have tried to prove me wrong. :( This is straight out of the latest issue of Four Wheeler magazine page 69. "The downside of wheel spacers is that moving the wheel away from the hub puts increased stress on the wheel bearings, spindle, knuckle, and the axel housing itself" I don't understand why some people here will argue that this isn't true. :? It makes perfect sense when you really think about it. I have personally seen wheel bearing failures as a direct result of using wheel spacers, but they weren't on S10's. I am not in any way trying to discourage anyone from buying spacers, but it is a good idea to know the true downside of this mod. Would this stop me from getting some myself? No way, especially considering this is one of the only ways we can get the correct backspacing for our trucks since the aftermarket wheel selection is very limited for late model 4x4 S10's. :D

Steve
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I bet if you look at all then mods that you could do to any truck or car , you would find a down side to most of them , this doesn't include replacement of oem products though ( shocks etc ) . but items that modify the truck . you always take a chance when modifiying , or replacing with anything other than oem . There is no perfect solution it seems , when modifying .

And yes , your point make perfect sense , if you move someting farther away from the fulcrum , you intern get more leverage , and increase wear perhaps .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I read the same Steve and have thought long and hard about that controversy :o

I also have learned that one can not put 100% faith in what is written 100% of the time and I do not have possess 1% of your knowledge or Brule's in the mechanical arena :)

I think that in extreme conditions what you are saying may be true but, due to civil liability laws things are purposely underrated. If a manufacturer rates a recovery strap at 12,000 lbs does it mean that at 12,100 lbs it is certain doom? No, of course not :!:

I'd straddle that strap and know that it probably wouldn't fail until 15,000 lbs or more.

The additional stress that is being applied through spacers is minimal in our mild applications but, that is my thoughts, The rear spacers are most commonly used and I haven't read about any mechanical failures directly related to them.

I am a newby and that is just my 2 cents.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:The additional stress that is being applied through spacers is minimal in our mild applications.
I agree, and like I said I don't know of any S10's that have had failures as a result of wheel spacers. The additional stress added by wheel spacers is a fact and not a theorie or urban legend. This is just simple physics. I still don't understand why some people argue that the added stress is not true. :? I have read this in several magazines and forums, not to mention having seen some real life failures as a result of wheel spacers. I know this is not possible, but can you imagine what would happen if you ran 12" spacers. :shock: Something would break or wear out real fast. :lol:

Steve
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I have been told by several friends of mine who are in the automotive field not to use spacers, that they are trouble. After I got my truck lifted and got my new rims and tires the guys that mounted them to my truck almost didn't want to do it because of the spacers on the rear, they thought I was nuts for having them on. My opinion after using them the main thing is to consistantly check them, and make sure they are torqued properly and those that have them in the front have to be even more careful especially if they are wheeling their truck. I'm sure there is a lot of people that have used spacers on the front and back without problems. Our S10's are prone to ball joint failures which would even make it more of a problem but if their trucks are holding up to it then what can you say? Just my two cents.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

we have to use spacers look at how our trucks look without them.
They just look right with spacers if GM would have set these trucks up right from the start we wouldnt have to mod them so much ,SO its GMs fault if anything should go wrong :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

jeff024 wrote:we have to use spacers look at how our trucks look without them.
They just look right with spacers if GM would have set these trucks up right from the start we wouldnt have to mod them so much ,SO its GMs fault if anything should go wrong :)
I'm with Jeff024 on this. The bad thing is that we all know that GM is going broke, so they will never admit there faults now. :lol:
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have tried to explain this many times, and the point always seems to get lost. Physics , yes, but use the right facts.

If we used a wheel with zero offset. This would offer the least leverage applied to the mounting surface.
Wheel spacers are no different than changing the rear spacing on your wheels.
Would 12 inch spacers add stress, sure. So would wheels with that much offset.

Our wheels have a 2.5" negative offset. Adding 2.5 inch spacers to our wheels you would attain zero offset and the least leverage or stress on the drive components. An increase, from zero , in either positive or negative offset will add stress to the components. I guess I really have no argument here. Yes offset can cause stress. I believe a reduction can actually improve an already poor situation.

Keep in mind here that I am referring to bolt on wheel adapters. The over the stud spacers plates do subject the studs to greater stress and I am not a believer in them.

Just my opinion.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

So by me going with 4" BS wheels and no spacers up front, it would actually be better for some of my front end components than stock?
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:So by me going with 4" BS wheels and no spacers up front, it would actually be better for some of my front end components than stock?
While the reduction in rearspacing may reduce the leverage applied to the wheel bearings and axle, the increase in footprint and radius of the arc as the wheel is turned add stress to the steering components.

So I would say, no , not better. Maybe even worse in regards to those components.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I am no mechanic, but I have to agree here. Spacers can cause extra stress on other components. Haven't any of you seen any of those older "gangsta" rides out there with the wheels sticking way out the sides? :!: (I've seen some 4x4's this way too.) After time, the vehicle starts to sag in the center and I've actually seen these cars riding on all four of the inside of the tires because everything has bowed in!!! Granted, that is an extreme case but it just goes to show that Killian is right.

Now, having said that, I don't believe that the smaller spacers that we are using could cause that much damage. Or at least, not in a forseeable period of time. I am running the 1.25" spacers on the rear of my rig and don't think that I'll ever see any problem with them for as long as I own the truck. I would be afraid to run anything over, say, 2" though. But hey, like I said, I'm no mechanic! Whadda I know.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]