Gear Ratio Calculations

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Buckshot
Regular
Regular

Gear Ratio Calculations

Post by Buckshot »

In case you guys missed it, on Superlifts Offroad Adventures, during the tips section of the show, the host gave a simple equation for calculating RPM's with any given tire size. So I tried it out with my CC, I already knew from the code in the glove box that I have a 3.42 gear ratio. I didn't really know what the stock tire size was but with this equation I can solve for it. The trick is that you cannot be in overdrive to fiqure. The equation that was presented on the show was:
RPM = MPH*G.R.*336/T.S. To solve for T.S.(tire size) use
T.S. = MPH*G.R.*336/RPM. For my test, I put the CC in 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) and drove exactly 55 mph and noted the rpm's and in my case was 2250 rpm's in third gear. When I did the math it came out to 28.0896 inches. I want to go to a lower gear (higher numerically). If I swap my 3.42 for a 3.73, the rpm's with the stock tire size will be 2462 @ 55 mph. The rpm's with a 30" tire will be 2297 with a 3.73 gear ratio @ 55 mph. If you do not know your gear ratio, you can solve for it by re-arranging the equation to : G.R. = T.S.*RPM/MPH*336. All in all a useful tool if you want to see how changes in tire size, gear ratio's, rpm's and mph can affect each other. Just thought I'd share. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
2004 ZR5
1998 Blazer ZR2
Buckshot
Regular
Regular

Post by Buckshot »

I can't believe I didn't see the calculations sooner on the home page....ooops!!!! :oops:
2004 ZR5
1998 Blazer ZR2
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

NO problem, we all miss things :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]