Now that I have a Hypertech III, I have a question...

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Now that I have a Hypertech III, I have a question...

Post by Jim »

The only change I made is shift firmness for now, next spring I'll use it to correct for smaller diameter tires.
When I take my truck to the dealer for service is it necessary to set it back to stock? :?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

From What I Have Been Told You Should Set It Back To Factory, Reason Being If the Is A TSB Or An Updated Program For Your Truck And They Decide To Re-Program It Without Asking First, The Hpp3 Will Be Useless After That Cuz It Will Have A Different Factory Program In It.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is the safe bet for sure. I have done this, but when I took it in for the tensioner pulley replacement , I didn't reflash.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I took a long time for the program to load after making the settings. Can't complain for $100, I guess.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Usually takes about 10-15 minutes. I just get things going and come back after a break. I have found that just like trying to boil water ... watching doesn't seem to speed the process.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

HMMM mine only takes about 5minutes at most
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

jeff024 wrote:HMMM mine only takes about 5minutes at most
It may depend on the year. Mine unit didn't follow the steps in the manual to a "t" but it worked. The manual said it would take about 5 minutes to load but it took at least 10. It may also depend on which parameters you change with it. The thing sure seems primitive by todays standards :shock:
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Gotta K.I.S.S

We 'puter literates need to Keep It Simple Stupid ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

I set it for firmer shifts...at part throttle I don't notice much difference but at light throttle :shock: a big difference. Just tooling around the parking lot 1-2 shift is neck snapping. I have noticed a difference in drivability, when choosing 87 octane Hypertech says it still improves performance. I noticed ether more power or the TCC doesn't lock up as soon...there is much less lugging and chugging up hills. I could say I should have done it sooner but I'm so cheap I had to wait for a steal :)
Best Regards, Jim
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Actually, I've looked at what the Hypertech tuner does with the EFILive tuning program... What it does for the transmission shift firmness is it basically tells the transmission that it's getting more throttle than what you're really giving it :? , hence the harder shifts in the parking lot, and not at part throttle.

I've actually used efilive on my truck to take off the torque management and put a more aggressive shifting profile on there. It did much more than the hypertech did..it actually shifts like a good 700R4. It will let you do all sorts of things, like change the throttle kickdown points, let the torque converter lock up in 2nd gear, and turn off the A/C at a preset throttle range (like >80% or whatever you want) . All sorts of cool stuff to play with. Trying not to sound like an infomercial, just sharing my $0.02 :P
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
Single 6.5" Bazooka behind the backseat[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

1337vending wrote:Actually, I've looked at what the Hypertech tuner does with the EFILive tuning program... What it does for the transmission shift firmness is it basically tells the transmission that it's getting more throttle than what you're really giving it :? , hence the harder shifts in the parking lot, and not at part throttle.
Are you sure? The Hypertech & the B&M shift improver are only supposed to increase transmission line pressure which make the friction plates lock up quicker, and harder. I have a few friends in the ISSCA club who have the EFI Live tuner, and maybe one of them would let me borrow it for a few days to check out my Crews tuning parameters and to see what you are referring to about the Hypertech tuning. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but if you are right then Hypertech and B&M are lying about how their products work. :? :shock:

Steve
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Well, if I remember correctly, the transmission pressure is dictated by a voltage reading from the computer which ranges from something like 5v (idle pressure) to 0 v (max pressure). I'm not quite sure on the exact voltages though, but I do know that 0 volts = max pump pressure.
All the hypertech does is subtract a percentage from the voltage to make it shift harder. It doesn't modify the part-throttle or full throttle "desired" shift pressures, nor the part throttle or full throttle shift points. Basically the transmission says "I need 50 psi for this next shift" and then goes to the table of voltages and looks up what 50 psi should be in volts. Hypertech just changes the lookup table.
I was curious about this myself and compared the stock tune to the hypertech to see what they did, and found what I said above.
[size=75]2003 Indigo Blue Crew Cab - EFILive custom tune, K&N filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Rear sway bar, ZR5 wheels w/ BFG 30x9.5x15 AllTerrains

Future mods:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The only mistake would be to take it to the dealer. lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Very interesting info 1337vending! Thanks for posting it! I want to get EFI live now so I can check out stuff like this. I wonder if the wife would go for it? :?: Probably not! :lol:

Steve
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

8) Well, EFILive is only "supported" for the LS1-LS6 engines...I tried it on my truck because my dad has a CTS-V with the blower on it and needed some custom tuning, so he bought the dongle and program. I'm not sure if the 01s have the same PCM as the 03s, but I don't see why they wouldn't. Heck, the new S-10s have the same air cleaner element as the fourth gen camaros! We all know GM isn't above part sharing :lol:

Future mods:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

1337vending wrote:8) Well, EFILive is only "supported" for the LS1-LS6 engines.
Don't they make a version for the LT1 & LT4 Camaros, Impalas and Vettes, or I maybe I'm thinking about LT1-Edit or Tuner-Cat. :?

Steve
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Hmm I think LT1-edit and tunercat are different from efilive. You could check efilive.com to make sure though.

Future mods:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You must have the V7 tuning and scan tool which is LS1-LS6 specific. They also make the V7 and V4 which are only scan tools, but can be used for all GM OBD1 and OBD2 vehicles. The tuning feature on yours must be nice. :D I wonder if the new Hypertech Hyperpac allows these same tuning features? They claim the fuel and spark advance tables can be altered to your liking, but I wonder just how much it will let you do? For $700 it better do a whole lot! :lol:

Steve
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

Yeah, the tuning is very handy...makes the truck drive completely different. You can change a rediculous amount of settings with the V7...for instance I took off the throttle follow delay, which basically means when you let off the gas the truck will actually decelerate! :D Have you ever noticed going down a big grade without touching the gas that the truck will pick up speed and then after about 5 seconds slow down? Yeah, you can edit that out...very slick 8)

Future mods:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Sounds like a very nice toy. :D

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

Finally broke the 20 MPG mark with combined driving 21.5
Maybe the HPPIII and the lowering are paying off. I have it set for 87 but I use 89. I was thinking about changing the setting to regular shifts instead if firm since upping the pressure at light throttle is spilling my coffee and probably does nothing to prolong the trans life.
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:.............I was thinking about changing the setting to regular shifts instead if firm since upping the pressure at light throttle is spilling my coffee and probably does nothing to prolong the trans life.
:roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jim wrote:I was thinking about changing the setting to regular shifts instead if firm since upping the pressure at light throttle is spilling my coffee and probably does nothing to prolong the trans life.
The firmer shifts will actually prolong the life of your transmission by not allowing as much heat build up between the clutch plates. :D I see your point about the coffee though. :lol:

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:
Jim wrote:I was thinking about changing the setting to regular shifts instead if firm since upping the pressure at light throttle is spilling my coffee and probably does nothing to prolong the trans life.
The firmer shifts will actually prolong the life of your transmission by not allowing as much heat build up between the clutch plates. :D I see your point about the coffee though. :lol:

Steve
I'm still thinking about changing shifts back to stock, It finally is raining here... light throttle in traffic around turns = """`-._.-`""" :shock: shifts are inconsistant too one time nice and firm next time harsh :o
Best Regards, Jim
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Jim wrote:I'm still thinking about changing shifts back to stock, It finally is raining here... light throttle in traffic around turns = """`-._.-`""" :shock: shifts are inconsistant too one time nice and firm next time harsh :o
If you are getting harsh shifts, then something else must be wrong! :? The Hypertech shift points will only work @ WOT. and not during normal driving. The shift firmness option is done by increasing transmission line pressure, but it should not create harsh shifts. My CC does shift better with the Hypertech firmness option, but nowhere near as how you are describing yours. :? A harsh 1-2 shift is usually an indication that one or more internal parts are starting to fail. I would try completely removing the Hypertech programming and go back to stock for a week or so, and see how the tranny behaves. I would also check to see if there are any pending transmission DTC's stored in the PCM. You may need a scanner to check for pending codes, as I believe the Hypertech will only read current codes that have set the MIL or SES light.

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:
Jim wrote:I'm still thinking about changing shifts back to stock, It finally is raining here... light throttle in traffic around turns = """`-._.-`""" :shock: shifts are inconsistant too one time nice and firm next time harsh :o
If you are getting harsh shifts, then something else must be wrong! :? The Hypertech shift points will only work @ WOT. and not during normal driving. The shift firmness option is done by increasing transmission line pressure, but it should not create harsh shifts. My CC does shift better with the Hypertech firmness option, but nowhere near as how you are describing yours. :? A harsh 1-2 shift is usually an indication that one or more internal parts are starting to fail. I would try completely removing the Hypertech programming and go back to stock for a week or so, and see how the tranny behaves. I would also check to see if there are any pending transmission DTC's stored in the PCM. You may need a scanner to check for pending codes, as I believe the Hypertech will only read current codes that have set the MIL or SES light.

Steve
1337vending said the pressure is upped in the trans and firmer shifts will occur at low speeds. also the harsher shifts seem to be when the ac compressor is on. Again these shifts are only at light throttle under 15 MPH if I lean on it the shifts are all consistent.
Best Regards, Jim
1337vending
Crew
Crew

Post by 1337vending »

The reason the shifts also feel firmer at low parking lot speeds is because the torque managment in the PCM backs out timing during shifts when you apply more power. I believe below 80ft-lbs the PCM does not cut timing, but above that it cuts a percentage of the engine power(thru retarding the timing). I think it was something like 20% at 250ft-lbs.

Personally, I think that the EFILive programmer is a worthwhile investment if you want the best shifts for your trans...I've got mine shifting butter smooth around the parking lot and mild street driving, but with a nice positive upshift at WOT. And I got rid of that blasted torque managment, since I'm not redline shifting the engine that much and our trucks have a fairly loose converter. It eliminates that hesistation as it upshifts if you're going up an incline.

Future mods:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I do believe what 1337vending is saying about how the Hypertech operates, but I have 2 vehicles with the Hypertech tuning and have driven several of my friends cars and trucks also with the Hypertech tuning and I can tell you for sure that none of these vehicles have harsh 1-2 shifts even with light throttle with the exception to those that have the B&M shift improver set on level 2 which is a little harsh. Jim, does you truck shift this way without the Hypertech? I have seen many GM transmissions fail shortly after developing a harsh 1-2 shift. My CC does not shift hard even at light throttle under 15 mph, and is always consistent no matter how I drive it. :D If you truly believe the Hypertech is causing your harsh shifting problem, then I would recommend that you call them and get some sort of explanation as to why you are having this problem which is not normal. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

To be honest, I can't tell and shift change from HPPIII tuning for firm shifts and stock. I can tell you I have that ridiculous 1-2 shift lag at approx. 15 mph with both :shock:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:I do believe what 1337vending is saying about how the Hypertech operates, but I have 2 vehicles with the Hypertech tuning and have driven several of my friends cars and trucks also with the Hypertech tuning and I can tell you for sure that none of these vehicles have harsh 1-2 shifts even with light throttle with the exception to those that have the B&M shift improver set on level 2 which is a little harsh. Jim, does you truck shift this way without the Hypertech? I have seen many GM transmissions fail shortly after developing a harsh 1-2 shift. My CC does not shift hard even at light throttle under 15 mph, and is always consistent no matter how I drive it. :D If you truly believe the Hypertech is causing your harsh shifting problem, then I would recommend that you call them and get some sort of explanation as to why you are having this problem which is not normal. :wink:

Steve
I set it back to stock. The shifts have always been firm in my truck from new under regular acceleration matter of fact I never could understand why many users on this forum said they hated the soft shifts.
Under light throttle you never could feel the shifts ... smooth like a luxury car. with the HPPIII you can. I'm not worried about the trans, warranty has 3 years left and 18,000 miles. Now it's back to being smooth as can be. I'm going to use the HPPIII next time I install the program it will only be set for 87 fuel all other settings will be stock until next summer when I put my lower profile tires on.
Best Regards, Jim
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

IMOP, the Transgo shift kit is the best way to get good consistent shifts with the 4L60E. I really want to do this mod to my CC, but I still have warranty till 100k miles, and installing a shift kit will definitely void any warranty on the transmission. It is not the easiest kit to install, but far better than any other shift kit out there, plus you have the option of 3 different shift levels to choose from. I have this kit on my SS which has the same trans as the CC, and it works flawlessly. :D

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:
Jim wrote:...probably does nothing to prolong the trans life.
The firmer shifts will actually prolong the life of your transmission by not allowing as much heat build up between the clutch plates.
LS1 ZR2 wrote:Torque management is done to help transmission life, as well as other driveline parts. It is not inside the trans, it is a function of the PCM software. It can be turned off, bit the PCM will need to be recalibrated by someone that can open the software. A HPP3 can not turn it off.

The HPP3 will increase line pressure, and that makes the shift faster and more agressive. This will help trans life, because there is less slippage in the band and clutches.

Changing the servo to a aftermarket unit (or a Corvette part) will make the 1-2 shift more firm. This will help the 1-2 band last a little longer, and firm the 1-2 shift. It will not change anything else in the transmission.
I agree that the HPPIII and other mods should help to prolong transmission life.
Just thought the above post was worth importing :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

HenryJ wrote:Usually takes about 10-15 minutes. I just get things going and come back after a break. I have found that just like trying to boil water ... watching doesn't seem to speed the process.
First time does take a long time, probably cause it's making a complete copy of the factory firmware. Aftwards, changes only take a min or two.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]