Vibration When Accelerating?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

rider

Vibration When Accelerating?

Post by rider »

Did a search and came up with some posts that were close, but did not solve my problem. When I accelerate from a stop or slow pace (20mph or lower)... I get a loud metallic vibration that seems to come from under the truck near the muffler area. This happens in forward and reverse... hot and cold starts... no matter what temperature it is outside. I've tried numerous times to find where the noise is coming from, and the closest I have come is that it's something in the muffler? All of the sheilds seem to be tight around it and the gas tank. I'm pretty sure the noise is not coming from the cat area (though I could be wrong). Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look or what to try next? Thanks for any help 8)

Rider

F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rider,

I'm thinking something clogged but, if you can wait until about 5 PM. our time, I am sure that HenryJ and others will have some good ideas.

I just looked up Fenton, MI. You wouldn't happen to have a ZR5, would you. We're looking for one in southern MI for a member who needs to take some measurements of the ZR5 nerf bar mounts and he is willing to pay for gas.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

do you feel the Vibration at the steering wheel or you just here something vibrate?
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

...bet you anything its the catalytic converter sheild. Do you hear it rattle when you slam the doors on your truck? An easy way to tell is to wrap a worm clamp around the cat if you can and take it for a ride to see what happens.

my .02
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

if it isnt the shield, or drive shaft hitting anything while spinnging (like mine did) then i wonder if you motor mount is broke and letting your fan hit something as the engine torques over
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
rider

Post by rider »

sorry for the late reply... your help is appreciated very much. it's been raining pretty hard since late yesterday evening and i haven't had a chance to get under the truck. i did not check the sheilds over the cat... or anything even near it. i'm working on clearing out a spot in the garage right now but i've got a few projects going on and don't foresee me getting in there with the truck any time soon :? i don't remember hearing anything rattle or make noise when i close the doors. there is no vibration in the steering wheel or anything else for that matter when the noise occurs... just a loud mettalic vibration from down below. i'm pretty sure nothing is rubbing against the drive shaft. i looked really good at that and made sure it was not loose too. if it's not the cat... i think f9k9 might be on to something with the idea that something might be clogged.

as for owning a zr5... sorry, i just have a basic black cc with 20% front tinted windows, a smitty brush guard, de-badged, rear spacers and yokohama geolanders (stock size). i don't know anyone with a zr5 either... otherwise i'd offer up some help.

thanks,

rider

malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

what measurements are you guys wanting? i could measure mine and post them on here. just need to know what you want measured.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

malkavian wrote:what measurements are you guys wanting? i could measure mine and post them on here. just need to know what you want measured.
Knaffie Needs The Actual ZR5 Truck To Test Fit Some Sliders On The Factory Stepbar Studs....

Feel Like Taking A Little Drive? :wink:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe