TB Crank question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

TB Crank question

Post by SomeCrew »

How many cranks on the TB does it take to get to 2". Or does it stop at 2". Just some heads up info for me, thanks.
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I believe and do not quote me that one revolution clockwise on the adjuster is approx. .20 inches.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

if you go up to 2in you will have problems I dont think any of us are up that far im at 1 1/2 and it settled to about 1-1 1/4
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is no way to predict how much you can raise your vehicle with a t-bar crank since we have no way of knowing where they are adjusted currently.If yours are backed way off you may indeed get 2" lift through adjusting. If your bars are weak and they have already been cranked up you may get no more than 1/2" or less.

Reed is correct that each turn of the adjuster bolt yields .2" according to the GM spec. sheet.

You will need to crawl under the truck to see if the adjusters are evenly adjusted. Mine , as many were off by quite a bit. One side was backed nearly all the way off and the other bar was supporting the majority of the load.

Print the trim height measurements on the stock information page, put on those dirty clothes and get some of that nasty frame coating on yourself. Take some measurements, and adjust the t-bars to the upper specification.

I would even them up, making sure the truck is level side to side and work from there.
Make sure that you do not bottom the pork chop (indexer) inside the crossmember. The bolts may or may not be long enough to do so. As an example I have about 5/16" threads left before the adjuster bolt head would touch the threaded block.

Don't forget that you will need an alignment afterward, and if you go too high they may have to lower it to gain enough adjustment to set the camber and caster.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Thanks guys!
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

I did a TB Crank of 5 complete turns and my passenger side adj bolt is close to bottoming can I bottom out then back off a quarter of a turn?

My front is 1"- 1.25" lower then the back.

I would like it even.

How far can i go?
~2001 S-10 Crew Cab Black~
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

you dont want to bottom it out
make sure your on very level ground when you measure.If im not mistaken my driver side is about 1 1/2 turns from bottoming out the pass. side might have 4 or more turns left but my truck is level at all 4 fenders
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

How close to bottoming out can I go??
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

that im not sure of but like I said mine are about 1-1 1/2 turns from the bottom
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:...Make sure that you do not bottom the pork chop (indexer) inside the crossmember. ..

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

HenryJ wrote:
HenryJ wrote:...Make sure that you do not bottom the pork chop (indexer) inside the crossmember. ..
Thanks again HJ

Wow thats hard too see. :shock:

I can not go past 4.5 turns (+ 1.250"). :x
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Tribecrist wrote:I can not go past 4.5 turns (+ 1.250")
Your "times's" if differ frum mine... 4.5 (turns) X .2 (inches per turn) = .9 inches

:lol: You're madder now I bet :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I see we are beginning to overload Brule.

Maybe. you can try to watch over us on weekends.

Have noticed allot of mistakes that can be attributed to being worn down but, a double post from you is a rare event. I try to tell newer members to wait on you or other members with the needed expertise to answer their particular question.

If you don't slow down, you will never enjoy the legitimate benifits of an AARP card.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:roflmao: Sorry I got distracted. Some kids stopped by to buy my Suburban. I must have clicked twice :oops:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

And I am from the government and am here to help you!
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Sorry to overload...
I am new to suspension modifications.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Tribecrist wrote:Sorry to overload...
I am new to suspension modifications.
No Problem :D

I "try" to live by 2 rules :lol:

1. Don't sweat the small s_it

2. It's all small s_it :lol:
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

One more stupid question ...After the TB crank I drove a week to work (2.5 miles) to make sure I was happy with the adjustment.
I didnt get an alignment yet but I will this week I need to travel 50miles this weekend ..Is it ok to do this ??
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Tribecrist wrote:One more stupid question ...After the TB crank I drove a week to work (2.5 miles) to make sure I was happy with the adjustment.
I didnt get an alignment yet but I will this week I need to travel 50miles this weekend ..Is it ok to do this ??
Only if you want to wear your tires out :shock:
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Not worried about the tires I was going to replace them soon.

Also

f9k9 ~ I did get a good look at my adjuster TB key today its not bottomed out Its darn close ... I can put a plastic shim between the key and the crossmember.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is pretty close, what kind of results did you get measurement wise?
Tribecrist
Crew
Crew

Post by Tribecrist »

Increase was 1" to 1.250".
The fender lip to the ground is 33".
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

It's gonna settle some. When you get the alignment ask for the tech's opinion on the front axle angles. I had 2 CV boots go and I got into a major fight with my dealership and GM customer assistance over my crank and it was 1.5" and well within GM's trim measurements that are found on the home page. I fought for months and now I am finished with them as a result.

Others have done the crank and if a CV boot slipped off they threw on a large hose clamp and haven't had any problems.

Do a search and read up on all the controversy with doing a crank.

I hope it works well for you!

Reed
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

may i suggest taking a look a bubaloos fender flares . they look great and will give you extra clearance needed for a larger tire . with out the risk of broken/worn out front end parts .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Very good point Blaze but, I assumed he was looking for hgt and not just tire size
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

i'm going to crank mine this next week!!!! due for an oil change,, will do it before that so the dealer can align it!!! if the tires wear...."they" aligned it!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

proabably is , but doesn't his sig say he already has a 6" SL and a BL . if he wants more hieght he is going to have to go with a SFA . a tbar crank would hardly be noticeable with that much lift already .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]