Truck Vibrating

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Truck Vibrating

Post by robbtodd »

I have a Co-worker who has a 2002 S-10 X-tend a cab that is vibrating. He had all the wheels balanced and rotated. The ball joints in front were replaced and he has 4 new tires. The GM dealer can not find the problem.
The truck will vibrate between 55 - 58 mph. I told him that I would check with this website to see if anyone else has any problems.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Is this a persistent vibration between those speeds? or only after cold stars or after it's warmed up a bit?

Also do passengers feel it or is it the steering wheel that vibrates?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The U-joints are prone to problems, and can cause vibration. Also check the driveshaft for any damage. Even a small dent can be enough to throw things out of alignment/balance.
If the extended cab has a carrier bearing and slip joint in the rear driveshaft check them for slack while you're under there.

Is this a 4x4? If so check the front wheel bearings. there is no allowable play/movement side to side. They should have checked them during the alignment inspection.

Make sure that the tire pressures are all the same. If all this looks good try rotating tires to see if there is any change. It is possible to have a tire that is in good balance , yet is out of round, or has a separation that can cause a vibration.

Just some things off of the top of my head :D

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
oconee_toby

Post by oconee_toby »

well mine does it too and its a 03 crew cab seems to only do it at those speeds in over drive i can pull it back down to 3rd and it stops i was told it is the convertor

EDITED: Lets keep it family friendly-HJ
RocK
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by RocK »

Mine gets the shakes 40 to 45 MPH and it has a slight dent in the Driveshaft. But a 6061 -t6 shaft means $$$ so i can live with it untill the parts yard comes up with one. That can take out U-joints quick so dont just let it go.
[size=75]2002 GMC Sonoma ZR-5

"Watch This"

Roof Rack Lights, Air box mod, 31x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains, 2 inch rear spacers, Skidz Fender flares, 2 inch body lift.[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

RocK wrote:Mine gets the shakes 40 to 45 MPH and it has a slight dent in the Driveshaft. But a 6061 -t6 shaft means $$$ so i can live with it untill the parts yard comes up with one. That can take out U-joints quick so dont just let it go.
try here
http://search.stores.ebay.com/search/se ... =0&frpp=30
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim,

With all due respect :)

I know that this is a genuine Grade A Seller :)

Are getting a discount (tongue in cheek)?

JUst kidding, but, couldn't resist :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
duglasfur
Regular
Regular

Post by duglasfur »

I had a similar problem in the past when I bought new rims. One of them came from the dealer out of round. If that's the problem, stock S10 wheels are cheap on ebay. Cheaper than having it fixed.
[size=75]2001 Onyx Black Crew Cab[/size]