Manual Tranny

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

coreylubahn

Manual Tranny

Post by coreylubahn »

Anyone ever thought about what it would take to drop a manual tranny in a crew cab....I would absolutely love that...that was one of the things that I was pissed about when I bought the crew...although for towing the auto is probably easier, but nothing beats the feel of a 5 (or dare I say) 6 speed. Just wondering if it would be a fairly easy switch out or not.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I wanted a 5 speed for mine and hated that they didn't offer one but the traffic around my area is so bad that I guess the auto is better. Working the clutch gets old fast in stop and go traffic!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I was after a manual trans also and almost bought a Tacoma
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Rusty wrote:Working the clutch gets old fast in stop and go traffic!
I drive a truck all day long, :x in the city :rant:, in the congested traffic on the socal freeways :rant:. Shifting gears all day long. :twisted: Then driving home after work in traffic :x , auto is the only way to go for me. :D

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Steve2003 wrote:
Rusty wrote:Working the clutch gets old fast in stop and go traffic!
I drive a truck all day long, :x in the city :rant:, in the congested traffic on the socal freeways :rant:. Shifting gears all day long. :twisted: Then driving home after work in traffic :x , auto is the only way to go for me. :D

Steve
And you have a lot more gears to shift too! :shock:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would have one if it had been offered. This one one of the pros that I considered when I was looking at the Frontier.

The standard transmission not only offers the possible advantage of better mileage, but also compression on downhill grades, and cooler crawling. Add clutching on slick conditions to stop a slide, the ability to push start , and only mushy shifts when you want them ;)
Sure there are drawbacks too, but for wheeling I think the advantages outweigh.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

for rock crawling, the auto rocks! our crawl ratio isnt low at all. if you had a 5 speed it would be even higher. the auto actually gives us a lower crawl ratio, but i considering i dont see anyone using our trucks to do rockcrawling, the 5 speed would be cool.

you would have to deal with cpu. there were some zr2's that had manual tranmissions. so grab one of them and the cpu and you should be good.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]