Tire psi question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tire psi question

Post by Steve2003 »

I've never had all terrain tires on any vehicle i've ever owned. I was looking at my tires yesterday, and they seemed kind of low. So I checked them and they were all like 5-10 psi different. My tires dont recommend a certain psi but they do say up to 50 psi. What psi do any of you guys recommend? My truck is a daily driverand its starting to get warm here in SoCal. Its getting into the 80s here and pretty soon its going to be getting into the 90s and 100s. I would appriciate any of your guys opinions.

Thanks, Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I run my BFG ATs at 35psi. I do a lot of traveling for work and when I go somewhere, I pump them up to 40psi. It rides a little rougher but on the interstate it's not that bad.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

my tires also state 50 steve I ran them for awhile at about 35 but have gone up to about 42.Just dont forget if you start with 50psi and its 90-100 outside those tires are gonna build more pressure when they get hotter.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Thanks, Yellow Hammer and jeff024.

My son who works at the wal-mart tire&lube centre told me 40 psi. So thats where I had put them. I just had to double check because he gets some off the wall ideas sometimes :!: :crazy: He's only 18

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Chesked the pressures in my BFG AT's yesterday - ran them back up to 40 - they were all at about 34.

Even at 40 they look like they're a little low, but like Yellos said - you can feel the difference in the ride quality.

I have heard that the Revos can run up into the mid 40's and still ride pretty nice. I think my dad used to run about 45psi in his Z71's revos.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I run 36 psi in front and 32 psi in the rear with my 31" MT/R's. I have tried 40 psi, but it feels like I'm riding on solid rubber wheels. :lol: As long as you don't exceed the maximum psi rating on your tire you will be ok. My tires are 50 psi max. Another benefit to higher tire pressures is better gas mileage. Always make sure you adjust you tire pressure in the morning, or when they are cold. :wink:

Steve
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I keep my Revo's set at 37 front and 35 rear cold PSI. With heat of the day ambient temperatures and warm up from driving, they will get into the 40+ psi range.

Note: I put some new nitrogen inflated BFG Traction T/A's on the Grand Prix. They don't get the differences in psi due to driving or changes in outside temperature.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I had seen somewhere a while back where you could adjust for "ideal" tire pressure by drawing a thick chalk line across the tread of the tire. Then drive a short distance (a block or two) and check the wear of the chalk line. (preferably in a straight line as turning will effect result.) If it's worn off completely in the center and still plainly visible toward the outer edges, you've got too much pressure. If it's worn on edges but not as much in center, you've got too little.

I've never tried this but it seems to make sense.

I more comonly check the pressure by quickly turning side to side at highway speed. If it's soft and mushy or any loss of control... they're too soft. :mrgreen:
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

the Tire Tech Advisor at tirerack.com says to use recommended pressure from vehicle owners manual regardless of tire. (it's the air that supports your vehicle not the tire).
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

While this article doesn't talk specifically about our trucks or AT tires, it does have some great general information and explains how to calculate the best air pressure for your tires based on vehicle weight and suspension.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

tire pressure has to do with the weight of the vehicle, wheel size, tire size and tire build and then, your own preference.

a passenger tire will need more air on your truck, but a bfg at will not because of the thicker walls.

for example. i run 2 to 3 psi with my sx's while others with the same vehicle, wheel, and tire size are running 8 psi in their mtr's.

your s-10 is light in the back, no need to run alot of psi back there. i used to run my bfg at's at 30 in the front and 25 in the rear.

also, the truck has more traction at lower psi, but it will turn and get better gas mileage at a higher psi, but ride like crap :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]