Throttle Body

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

Crew02
Crew
Crew

Throttle Body

Post by Crew02 »

Has anyone looked into replacing the stock throttle body with an aftermarket?
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here's A Company That Does One

CFM TECHNOLOGIES
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

That's cool that they now port TB's also. :) I have their high flow throttle blade and it made a big difference. I wonder how much they port the stock TB? They do not say on their site what mm the stock TB is, or what the ported mm size is? :?

Steve
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Is all this to simply get even more air into the engine? I assume that doing something like this will give you more power but I would also assume decrease gas mileage, but is the decrease overall or only under hard acceleration? Anyone know?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

coreylubahn wrote:Is all this to simply get even more air into the engine? I assume that doing something like this will give you more power but I would also assume decrease gas mileage, but is the decrease overall or only under hard acceleration? Anyone know?
A larger TB will give you more hp, but usually only on the top end. Low speed response will sometimes suffer unless you use a more agressive cam and heads. I can't say for sue what will happen to gas mileage, but I would bet it would drop a little. Another thing worth pointing out is 4L60E transmissions use vacuum to help control shifting. Unless you reprogram the computer for less vacuum you can damage your tranny. I have seen some F-Body, and B-Body guys change from their stock dual 48mm TB to a 52mm TB without programming and their tranmissions suffered damage as a result. Larger is not always better, for example the 350 LT1 in my SS has a 48mm TB, and so does the GM Ram Jet 502. They didn't use a larger TB because the torque curve on that monster is better with the 48mm. :shock:

Steve