tire chains

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

tire chains

Post by mjmcdowell »

Having a good set of chains would be a great asset However with stock size tires and stock suspension , GM does not recomend that you use chains, its in the manual, probably a clearence issue I suspect, and no I really don't want to do a suspension/ larger tire mod plus I don't know if large tire chains can be had. I supose a lift and stock tire size w/chains would work and chains could be used in mud also, stock size and a lift would look to unbalenced to me tho. However in some instances like the need to traverse mud/snow conditions frequently might warrent it, but not for me. That being what it is I am now going to renew my search for comercial "traction mats" so to say that could be used in snow/mud mabey see if there is some material out there that I could make a pair out of, say 4ft. X 1ft. I have given thought to this before but now will have to look at it in earnst after todays events, any ideas out there guy's? mat's such as this might be something to have, kind of like " sand mat's" used for desert travel, stay safe, mjmcdowell
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I can say that I have not had my chains on this truck. Heck , I didn't even use them on my last truck :roll:
There is no way they would clear on the front, but I should have enough room to put them on the rear easily. Just make sure that they adjust up tightly.

They are kind of like the winch. As long as I have them along I never need them , but the minute conditions might exist that would warrant their use and I leave them home ...I'll be stuck somewhere ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Tire chains on stock CC

Post by Steve2003 »

Have used tire chains on my CC many times before I lifted it. No problems at all. Saved my butt a couple of times, and even helped a couple other people who were stuck.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

HenryJ wrote:They are kind of like the winch. As long as I have them along I never need them , but the minute conditions might exist that would warrant their use and I leave them home ...I'll be stuck somewhere ;)
Sounds like the backup generator we had installed on the house a couple years ago. Before - tons of power failures. Never had one since though! :x
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

do not use the chains!!!! I used them on my way back from Seattle and they tore my truck up. $2000 worth of damage to the bed. They had just enough slack to catch on the rear of the fender. It tore it up from there, then the chain busted and slung around the outside also hitting a small part of the rear door. :x :x :x
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Just in case anybody was wondering...(I was)...the heavy duty tire chains that I bought for the 31x10.5-15's will fit the 33x9.50-15's

With the Skidz cutouts there should be enough room to use them should the need arise.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK