lockers

This is the place for all those mods

Moderator: F9K9

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

lockers

Post by bubaloo1983 »

wtf is it :lol: what will it do for my truck any power gain? and how much and where can i get it....sorry short on time
thanks in advance

laterZ
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

ok - I re read your post - are you asking what lockers do?

Lockers are devices in your differentials that lock your axle solid instead of allowing the limited slip that LSD's like the G80 allow. In other words, all 4 wehels turn under power, all the time.

It wouldn't create any power for your truck, and it would only be used in extreme offroad conditions. You definitely wouldnt want to run locked at normal speeds. Plus the general consensus is that the IFS on the S-10 won't hold up to wheeling with a locker installed anyway.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Well, if we are asking about locking differentials, they won't increase power but if you go off road, they might just keep you from getting stuck. I used to have a link to a sight that explained limited slip and locking diffs much better than I can. Can't find it now. Maybe someone else can jump in with something? If you search on Google for things like ARB air locker, Eaton gov-lock (which a lot of us have), Detroit Locker, you will get a pretty good idea of what they are.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Rusty wrote:I used to have a link to a sight that explained limited slip and locking diffs much better than I can.
Here's one. I don't know if it's the one Rusty is referring to but it sure does a good job of explaining exactly what's going on in term anyone can understand.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

barch97 wrote:
Rusty wrote:I used to have a link to a sight that explained limited slip and locking diffs much better than I can.
Here's one. I don't know if it's the one Rusty is referring to but it sure does a good job of explaining exactly what's going on in term anyone can understand.
Good site. Not the one I was looking for but it does a nice job of explaining things. The one I had in mind was a little more advanced and went into the difference between all the types of lockers out there (ARB vs Detroit, etc). I just found this one that does a nice job of explaining the whole 4wd system in general. http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/
Jim

Post by Jim »

Rusty wrote:
Good site. Not the one I was looking for but it does a nice job of explaining things. The one I had in mind was a little more advanced and went into the difference between all the types of lockers out there (ARB vs Detroit, etc). I just found this one that does a nice job of explaining the whole 4wd system in general. http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/
I’m a visual guy…all that site has is words no pics or diagrams, can’t understand it :? :lol:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Yeah, after I made that post I went back and read through more of that site. It really wasn't as good as I first thought. In fact I found a few glaring mistakes. I was going to come back and edit my post here but got sidetracked by my 4 year old (story of my life these days). I really wish I could find the site I first mentioned. Not only did it have pics, some were animated and really showed how things worked in all the different locker systems that are available. I think it was a Jeep site but there are so many of those I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yeah, after I made that post I went back and read through more of that site. It really wasn't as good as I first thought. In fact I found a few glaring mistakes. I was going to come back and edit my post here but got sidetracked by my 4 year old (story of my life these days). I really wish I could find the site I first mentioned. Not only did it have pics, some were animated and really showed how things worked in all the different locker systems that are available. I think it was a Jeep site but there are so many of those I wouldn't know where to start looking.[/quote]

This one may have some good info. I'm to busy to look now, you guys check it out
http://www.4x4now.com/4wht.htm
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.