slop in door hinge?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

slop in door hinge?

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Anyone else had an issue witht heir door hinge pins?

I wouldn't expect it on a 2000 model with just under 45,000 miles, but I sure enough have play in my drivers door hinge.

looking at the pin there appears to be a bushing or something at the lower pivot of the upper hinge that is about half gone, Maybe one missing at the upper pivot too.

Any easy way to replace these -- the door doesn't look like it's going to be that easy to remove as the hinges are all welded on.

Think I should just take it by a bodyshop and let them look at it and quote a repair price?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

pretty poor design. my pins keep slipping out. luckily the door starts to squeak when opening and closing before the pin falls out completely. I've been whacking them back into position with a hammer and straight bar. then greasing the pin and surrounding area.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: slop in door hinge?

Post by Retep »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Anyone else had an issue witht heir door hinge pins?
Yup!!! Notorious problem on 3 door extended cabs.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok--cool now I know I'm not alone. :-)

More important question -- is this a relatively easy fix, or should I let a bodyshop look at it.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

New pins and busings are cheap.

Go by the hardware store and pick up some new spring steel press on retainers too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

The bushings were gone from the drivers door when I got the Ebay truck. I replaced 2 pins & all 8 bushings on the truck (note two different bushings upper end of the pin is larger than lower). Not a bad job, but I bought a door hinge spring compressor tool that made the job a snap :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

This happened on my 2002 S-10. Mine was still under Warranty so GM fixed it. The new pin and bushings look better than the original.