Air Conditioning Smell

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

MikeyZR5

Air Conditioning Smell

Post by MikeyZR5 »

Is anyone else having "outdoor" smells come through the Vents when their AC is on? I have noticed this even when I am on the A/C and MAX A/C settings.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

As I understand it Max AC is the only position where air is recirculated.

All other settings the air is drawn from the wiper cowl.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

everytime people get in my truck, they are like, whats that smell when i first turn the a/c on.

its the desert. the sand has infultrated the system and its smells like dirt :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Yeah...that's the same thing with mine...desert smell. Every time after I'm done off-roading I roll down all the windows and put the vent on full blast and watch the dirt blow out for a few seconds. It's kind of funny actually. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:Yeah...that's the same thing with mine...desert smell. Every time after I'm done off-roading I roll down all the windows and put the vent on full blast and watch the dirt blow out for a few seconds. It's kind of funny actually. :D

:lol: ya the last time i had somebody with me i told them to put thier hand over their mouth and nose.....the didnt believe me and they got doused with dirt when i turned the the vent on :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Air Conditioning Smell

Post by quickbiker »

MikeyZR5 wrote:Is anyone else having "outdoor" smells come through the Vents when their AC is on? I have noticed this even when I am on the A/C and MAX A/C settings.

I have never, but there is a TSB on it:

#69. 99-01-39-004A MAY 01 A/C - Odor Emission in Hot Weather

If it's under warrenty, maybe the dealer will do something.

I also see you are in the big T, so you would probably notice it more than others cause of hot weather.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Oh, I just forgot, that was for my year (2001). I don't see any for 2003's. ooops. Maybe it will come out later. :?
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
TNC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TNC »

I wonder if there is a filter that you can install in the wiper Cowl to reduce the amount of dirt that gets trapped in there. I know my Silverado had one, thats what the drinch in "new car smell"... but pretty sure that the S-10's don't... if not may not be a bad mode to help reduce the wonderful dirt, mud, nasty smell that comes out the air ducts...
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

I'll look into the filter thing, if I find anything good I'll make a new post...

My thinking is that the Bravada had a filter system, and used the same HVAC system. If so, there exists part numbers to convert it (and junkyards to get it cheaper). I'll try to look tonight, but does anybody know off hand if the HVAC system ever had a filter in it's many variants?
vinnie28

Mine does...

Post by vinnie28 »

Mine keeps getting outdoor odors, specially from bad emission cars. Does somebody knows that the heated feet mod can work on this issue? Or anybody resolved using other method?

Please, any suggestion other than changing to a Tundra...
S-10 Crew Cab 2002 ZR5 Black, tonneau cover, lund spoiler, TYC carbon fiber tailights.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:lol: I started up my stang once after letting it sit for months.. all I got was a leaves dust and dirt in the face when the ac went on . :lol:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]