Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

JG03QUADCAB

Oxygen Sensor Replacement

Post by JG03QUADCAB »

I have a 2003 4x4 CC and I need to replace my 0xygen Sensor. I am not that great with mechanics. I am trying to figure out where the oxyegan sensor is located first. Is there a way I could buy the Oxygen Sensor and replace it myself or should I pay someone to do it? How much time should it take if I do it myself? Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a mechanic replace them for me? Thank you for any help.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

You can easily do it yourself. If you look along your exaust, you'll see 3 or 4 sensors coming out of the pipe at a 90º angle. Make sure to buy Delco O2 sensors, and all you have to do to install them is to disconnect the harness and unbolt the sensor, then bolt the new one in and connect the new harness.

Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes each, assuming you have to muscle it a little bit.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You have three 02 sensors on your CC. :wink:

1 on each side just below each exhaust manifold (pre-cat) and 1 after the catalytic converter (post-cat).

How many miles do you have on your CC? :?:

If you have less than 60k miles then you shouldn't need new sensors, but if you have between 60k and 100k miles then you should replace the 2 pre-cat sensors.

If you have over 100k miles replace all 3.

The 02 sensors are very easy to replace yourself. :)

First you unplug the sensor then remove it with a 7/8" wrench and then install the new sensor and plug it back in. :wink:

I recommend AC Delco 02's for replacement since some aftermarket 02 sensors can cause problems.

Expect to pay $50-$60 per sensor. :wink:

Steve
JG03QUADCAB

Post by JG03QUADCAB »

I have 66k miles on my CC. My check engine light came on and I took my truck to Auto Zone. They did a computer diagnostic test. It came back with error code P0135 and P0155. It said Definition H02S 21 Heater Condition (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1)
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

JG03QUADCAB wrote:I have 66k miles on my CC.
Just replace the 2 pre-cat sensors then. :wink:

BTW, welcome to the forum! :wave:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

P0155 Trouble Code
HenryJ wrote:Don't rush out and replace it unless you really want to.

It is not a bad idea to replace the O2 sensors as you near 100k. The performance does degrade over time as contamination becomes deposited.

Personally I would clear the code and see if it returns. I have seen this code surface once and never return.

You are not looking at a critical function here. This preheats the sensor so it can begin working faster. It does not say it has failed, only the heater did not respond as expected.

What do you have to lose by clearing the code and waiting for the second failure?
SES light and 70k miles?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Don't rush out and replace it unless you really want to. Personally I would clear the code and see if it returns. I have seen this code surface once and never return. What do you have to lose by clearing the code and waiting for the second failure?
Good idea! :thumb:

I am usually too quick to recommend replacement before trying the simple stuff first. :)

Steve
JG03QUADCAB

Post by JG03QUADCAB »

How do I clear the code?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:They should be able to read and clear the code with a scan tool.

Another method is to disconnect the battery cable. Make sure the radio does not have Theftloc enabled first. Disconnect both ables for 3 minutes just to be sure. I can't say why both and why 3 minutes, but seem to remember something about the positive cable and capacitor discharge? Anyway it can't hurt.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JG03QUADCAB

Post by JG03QUADCAB »

I removed the battery for 3 mintutes and the check engine light went off. My birthday is in July and my state requires emissions testing for my 03 CC this year. Could the CC fail the emissions test because of the error codes that showed up?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

JG03QUADCAB wrote:my state requires emissions testing for my 03 CC this year. Could the CC fail the emissions test because of the error codes that showed up?
Most new vehicles are not required to pass an emission test during the first 5 years, but this may vary from state to state. :?

In CA we have a 5 year grace period before the first required emission test. :D

Did you receive a notice saying that you need to pass the test this year?

As far as the test goes, if the CEL is on I believe you automatically fail the test, but I'm not sure about pending codes that have not yet set the light. :?

A local test shop should be able to answer that question before you take your truck in for testing.

If they don't have the answer contact you local department of motor vehicles. :wink:

Steve
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Don »

Just to add to this subject, I have an 2002 with
41000 +- miles on it....threw a P0155 the other day.
I was thinking the same as you guys were...that is not enough miles to be throwing a code....so I think I'll do like it was mentioned....clear the code and see if it comes back anytime soon....

Good food for thought guys...

Don
[size=75]It was just working....
02 ZR5 added tint to front windows,Huskys in the pan and Ultra X bed liner,VentVisors.
Bilstein shocks all around..
Hope to raise it up someday..[/size]
kaceysdaddy

Post by kaceysdaddy »

JG03QUADCAB wrote:I have 66k miles on my CC. My check engine light came on and I took my truck to Auto Zone. They did a computer diagnostic test. It came back with error code P0135 and P0155. It said Definition H02S 21 Heater Condition (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1)
Same prob here. Replaced all three in june, then last week got the Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 code again. anyone have any ideas ?
Don
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Don »

Well I cleared the code and cranked it up and it looked good....no SES. Cut it off went in the house and came out the next morning and started it up and bingo....the SES comes back on.....Went and got the sensor, 89 bucks and changed it out. Cranked it up and no code....we will see....
I will mention that I didnt have but the one code...P0155.
Maybe it was just a bad sensor....just out of warranty....But aint that the way it always is :lol:
[size=75]It was just working....
02 ZR5 added tint to front windows,Huskys in the pan and Ultra X bed liner,VentVisors.
Bilstein shocks all around..
Hope to raise it up someday..[/size]