DTC P0455

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

DTC P0455

Post by 04crewvt »

Hey All,
I had the Crew set this trouble code yesterday. Looking it up is shows to be evap system large leak/no flow. Any ideas on what I should check out?
I got gas 2 days before and was still at well over 1/2 tank when the code set. It has been very damp/raining for the last two days so not sure if this could be part of the problem, I know it is affecting the intermittent wipers again, they have started freaking out again. :x
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

try the simple things first. like make sure the gas cap is fully seated, and the cap seal is in good condition.
this is probably the biggest cause of fuel evap. system codes...

also check the filler tube-to-tank hose clamps. some have reported that loose clamps have caused problems on these trucks before.

other possibilities include a bad tank pressure sensor, or a faulty purge solenoid, on the intake manifold.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

crew cab sonoma wrote:try the simple things first. like make sure the gas cap is fully seated, and the cap seal is in good condition.
this is probably the biggest cause of fuel evap. system codes...
Also worth noting, the code will not clear itself until after like a dozen or so "clear starts". So, if the source is the gas cap, you won't know until the code is cleared. You can speed this up by clearing the code yourself by either using an obd scanner or disconnect the battery for ten minutes.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Do you have a BL? If, so then check out the gas filler neck and don't get carried away tightening stuff, big boy! :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I cleared the code with my HPPIII this morning before heading to work. I couldn't find my auto x-ray scanner for a detailed report (I HATE MOVING) .I posted after I found the code but before I could do any checking ,the code reset on the way home tonight so I started with the simple stuff and sure enough, even though I always make sure the gas cap is on tight it had cross threaded and still gave me the ratcheting sound I expect to hear it must have taken the extra day to work loose and set the code. I will reset in the morning and hope for the best.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It take two consecutive failures to set the MIL and three ignition cycles without failure to reset on its own.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I don't know how many others have had to replace theirs but my wife's '01 blazer gas cap seal was dried out and cracked about a year ago and my '02 CC is about ready for a new cap as well. With as sensitive as this sensor appears to be, it's something to keep an eye on.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good point. I had some problems with replacement aftermarket caps on the fullsize. The caps did not maintain enough vacuum to pass the test after a while.
I finally went to the dealer to get an OEM cap and found out that there were more than one to choose from. Sounds a little screwy, but there may be several different caps for a given truck depending upon which engine it has.
I replace the troublesome aftermarket cap with one from the dealer that was for the truck and have had no problems since.
Sounds a little strange to me , but I had tried more than one aftermarket cap, and this worked. I will be tempted to go OEM supplier when the time comes.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I don't remember the code number but my wife's S10Crew set a code relating to the evap system and I found that one of the wires had broke below the front driveshaft on the crossmember that supports the transmission/transfer case.

There is a wire loom running on the front face of the crossmember that catches every stick or limb when you are off the highway. I soldered the wire back together and rerouted the wire above the driveshaft. There is a plug at the top of the transmission that can be unplugged making it easier to reroute. The best way to get the plug apart is to remove the one bolt holding the bracket and get the plug down to where you can see what you are doing.

Even if it's not your problem, it would be worth doing if you go off road any at all.

I will try to get some pictures later today to explain it better.

Edit: This picture shows where the wire was run.
My fingers are pointing at the plastic clips that held the wire loom before it was totally destroyed. I tried to get a picture of the plug on the top driver side of the transmission but the front driveshaft made it impossible. If you follow the wires, you will find it.

James
Last edited by JaVeRo on Sun May 27, 2007 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: DTC P0455

Post by BADs Crew »

04crewvt wrote:Hey All,
I know it is affecting the intermittent wipers again, they have started freaking out again. :x
I had a wiper problem similar to what you are explaining on my 1st gen Blazer. It turned out it was loosing ground to the wiper motor. I tighten the motor down and the problem was solved.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: DTC P0455

Post by killian96ss »

BADs Crew wrote:
04crewvt wrote:Hey All,
I know it is affecting the intermittent wipers again, they have started freaking out again. :x
I had a wiper problem similar to what you are explaining on my 1st gen Blazer. It turned out it was loosing ground to the wiper motor. I tighten the motor down and the problem was solved.
I'm having the same problem on my 88 S10 Blazer. :?

I've already replaced the control module with no success so I guess I should check the ground as well. :roll:

Steve