sounds, oh weird sounds...

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

sounds, oh weird sounds...

Post by Swbari00 »

Funny sound from under the pasenger side near the firewall. I would swear up and down it sounds like a heat sheild or something that is loose. But for the life of me I can find a loose one. The sound only happens when the truck is accelerating or if I am going up a hill or something that requires me to give it some more gas to maintain speed. Any ideas?
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Check the hood hinge mounting point. I think I remember someone else having this problem.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

well it is deffinantly underneath, could that still be the hood?
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Sounds like it could be a knock issue. Maybe run some high grade gas in it to see if it helps.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Swbari00 wrote:well it is deffinantly underneath, could that still be the hood?
I read of one S-10er who looked for weeks for a rattle only to find out it was the passenger side seat belt buckle taping against the center post. I'm just giving you some ideas. I am assuming you got under the truck and tapped on the cat with a rubber mallet to see if it was the heat shield.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

BADs Crew wrote:
Swbari00 wrote:well it is deffinantly underneath, could that still be the hood?
I read of one S-10er who looked for weeks for a rattle only to find out it was the passenger side seat belt buckle taping against the center post. I'm just giving you some ideas. I am assuming you got under the truck and tapped on the cat with a rubber mallet to see if it was the heat shield.
:lol: I had a rattle noise that sounded like it was near the front passenger side suspension, and it turned out to be the hitch draw bar resonating through the frame. :oops: :wink:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: sounds, oh weird sounds...

Post by HenryJ »

Swbari00 wrote:Funny sound from under the pasenger side ... The sound only happens when the truck is accelerating or if I am going up a hill or something that requires me to give it some more gas to maintain speed. Any ideas?
Hit the pre-cat with a rubber mallet. Listen for the sound of parts rolling around inside.

That is my guess. Bad pre-cat and soon to be bad cat.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

Its a very, hollow sounds, like one metal pipe in another one (like where an exhaust pipe connects to a muffler) are rattling against one another at times. I will try the rubber mallet trick. Next question...what is this "pre-cat" thing? Is there 2 cats on the truck?

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sure sounds like a bad cat- Plugged Precat

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

if that is the case, is it covered at 67k miles? and would a flowmaster muffle void a possible warranty?

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The cat should be covered, but I don't know about the Pre-cat. Seems like it should, but I have never heard that specifically. It is a part of the emissions system. It may function just fine without it though. It is there to warm quickly , since it is small. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

It would probably be worth having a muffler shop check it. If it is indeed bad, then approach your dealer about a warranty replacement.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

hey i appreciate an honest incomplete answer over a lie :) Ill have a shop check it out first, thanks!

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Oh, I don't think the free flowing muffler would cause you any difficulties. That is downstream and should not contribute to any problems.

Don't let them blame that. The precats are known to fail. I know of four that went bad prematurely. Mine may have had too many "tried and failed" modifications run through it. Too rich is not a good thing. Plugs, bad coil, Vararam, etc. I think they may have taken their toll.

- ThunderII KE7CSK