Towing Trailer

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Eric H
Crew
Crew

Towing Trailer

Post by Eric H »

I'm debating getting a trailer to make my business mobile.

I'm looking at a tandem axle enclosed trailer, either a 6' x 12' or a 7' x 14'. It looks like the curb weight of these trailers range from 1800-2200lbs. The equipment I will be hauling will weight about 2500lbs. This will bring the total weight in somewhere around 4300-4700lbs. The owners manual for my truck states the towing capacity is 5500lbs.

I plan to get a tranny cooler and a brake controller. I'm also debating putting the stock tires back on.

Does anyone have any experience towing this size/weight trailer with their truck?

Is a weight distributing hitch the way to go?
I don't know much about these hitches. Is it just a special type of hitch/ball combination that attaches to the Class III reciever on the truck with bars that go to the trailer tounge?

Do you think the wind drag difference between a 6' and a 7' wide trailer will make a big difference?

Thanks!
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Definately get all of that (hitch, brake controller, and cooler)

I towed my Xtreme on an open trailer behind the ZR5 earlier this year, and between a 2200lb trailer, and a 3200lb truck I was pushing that 5200lb limit. Even without electric brakes on the trailer, a good hitch, or anything else, the CC towed it just fine.

I wouldn't expect it to live as long as normal driving, and you most defiantely would be better suited to get a fullsize when the time comes, but the crew will work OK for a little while.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I tow an open 5 x 10 trailer around quite a bit. Its nearly that weight but doesn't have the wind resistance that a covered trailer would. It really doesn't have any issues. The Boise Spring Kit was a GREAT help with this. The tow haul button seems to be a 'nice' addition but not a huge help. I think the HP I picked up with the flash was more where the $$ spend was justified. (see tow haul button thread) I've towed a 6x12 U haul loaded. Im sure this was the same wind resistance and weight you are looking at. Out in the Flat Lands of IL it did great but as I headed into the minimal hills in WI it was working pulling the hills. You had to run the throttle yourself and let it pick up speed on the down hill and let it loose a little on the up hill. I'm not sure I'd want to head out through he Rockies loaded like that.
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

You should be OK leaving your current tires on. I run 30x9 MTs also, and I haven't had any problems hauling my 20' camper. The 30x9's are just one size bigger than my stock tires. Definitely do the tranny cooler and brake controller, and I would also do the weight distributing hitch (or the BSW kit). I would lean towards the WD hitch due to the fact that if you change to a different truck, :shock: , you still have the WD hitch system for another truck. I'll probably do both the BSW kit and WD hitch this summer, plus install the tranny cooler. My camper tends to squat the truck a little too much for my liking.

Is it just a special type of hitch/ball combination that attaches to the Class III reciever on the truck with bars that go to the trailer tounge?
Basically, yes. It really helps out with my father's truck, GMC Sierra.

I wouldn't worry about the wind resistance between a 6' to 7' trailer. You are not going to notice the difference.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]