Different versions of GM's CPI ???

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Different versions of GM's CPI ???

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

I just read a post on S10 forum about there being a different CPI on 96-02 GM trucks. I cant elaborate on it now but the guy that posted this thread said that the 96-02 CPI is problematic and should be switched over to the 03-present version. Any of you heard of this?? If not, check out the post in the 262 CI forum on S10 forum.com
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Yea, they changed designs on that piece. It uses small poppet valves on the old style. The new style is similar to a regualr injector, fired by an electrical signal.

If you have the old style, leave it be unless it is causing problems. If you are intending to run a boosted application with an FMU leave the old style (the new doesn't flow as well under higher pressures than stock). If you have to repair it, then get the new style.

Not a huge deal IMO.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i agree. dont bother if yours isnt having problems. i posted in that other thread this morning. like i said, i wouldnt have a problem using poppet style injectors again....
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Ours is SFI.

Here is the updated injectors thread - New design 96-up SFI injectors!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Oh, this brings back wonderful memories for me. :evil: :lol: My original SFI system failed miserably causing my CC to run very rough and throw several misfire codes, so the dealer upgraded me to MFI at no charge. :D I can't say that I noticed much of a difference with the newer set up except for a little better throttle response. My gas mileage stayed about the same. :(

Steve