i was right all along!! ( HVAC problem )

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i was right all along!! ( HVAC problem )

Post by bubaloo1983 »

well i took my truck in to the dealer to look at a few thinsg like alingment and some wierd noises ect. but aswell my defroster doesnt really worl properly and hasnt for awhile it just blows air out the venst instead of the other settings. this has been going on for a while now and the dealer kept telling me it was normal to drive around with hot air blowing at your face and your windows fogged :?: so finally the other day i was driving and had enough and demanded they check into ut and sure enough somethings screwed up. i dont know the technical details of it but it sounded bad and like it should have been noticed earlier so basically i was right and they are idiots. they said something about fluid in the venst and the t case line is connected to it and leaked or something. i really couldnt tell ya but something like that. anyway they said it hapened to someone else and it was a 1200 dollar bill...thank god fr warranty on this one! but i just thought it was funny because when i first bought my truck it was doing it slightly and over the last 2 years has gotten worse and worse so just shows something small can eventually become a big issue.

any way thought iw ould share my story when i get the print out ill type what it said was wrong with it as i really dont know what he was talking about.

edited the title-HJ
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: i was right all along!!

Post by kf6kmx »

bubaloo1983 wrote:well i took my truck in to the dealer to look at a few thinsg like alingment and some wierd noises ect. but aswell my defroster doesnt really worl properly and hasnt for awhile it just blows air out the venst instead of the other settings. this has been going on for a while now and the dealer kept telling me it was normal to drive around with hot air blowing at your face and your windows fogged :?: so finally the other day i was driving and had enough and demanded they check into ut and sure enough somethings screwed up. i dont know the technical details of it but it sounded bad and like it should have been noticed earlier so basically i was right and they are idiots. they said something about fluid in the venst and the t case line is connected to it and leaked or something. i really couldnt tell ya but something like that. anyway they said it hapened to someone else and it was a 1200 dollar bill...thank god fr warranty on this one! but i just thought it was funny because when i first bought my truck it was doing it slightly and over the last 2 years has gotten worse and worse so just shows something small can eventually become a big issue.

any way thought iw ould share my story when i get the print out ill type what it said was wrong with it as i really dont know what he was talking about.
Sounds like the nortorius leak from the vacum activated front hubs or the trany servo.. It was getting fluids back into the a/c controls... not good... Mine hasnt done that yet, but I know a lot of non crewcab S10's that have..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

hey at least im not the only one :!:
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

Jim

Post by Jim »

Is there a way I can check for the problem before anything is screwed up, like pulling a line off to look for oil. :idea:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jim wrote:Is there a way I can check for the problem before anything is screwed up, like pulling a line off to look for oil. :idea:
I think it would be a very good idea. I plan to check by pulling the hose connection at the transfercase.
As I understand it , that is the switch in which the seals can fail.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Can someone help me out with this?

I have 48K on my truck, and I'm starting to hear what I can best describe as "gurgling" when I am accelerating, and it sounds like it is coming from inside the dash.

this started just this week, and naturally I find this thread.

My truck is out of warranty, and of course I can't afford $1200 - 1800 in repair bills.

Is there a TSB # that I can reference to make the dealer fix it due to their own problem?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Oh -- little more back story -- since the day I bought my truck I have thought it had a small vacuum leak, I have been able to hear, but not track down a hissing that seemed to come and go with accelleration - and then the truck did have warranty, and i took it in to have it checked - no fault found each time. One time they went so far as to tell me that they all made that sound, and said they were willing to take me out on the lot and start up another S-10 to prove it.

So -- I should have a history with my dealer of reporting a vacuum leak issue. think I might be able to make them pay for it if this HVAC thing is what is going on?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Can someone help me out with this?

I have 48K on my truck, and I'm starting to hear what I can best describe as "gurgling" when I am accelerating, and it sounds like it is coming from inside the dash...
Could it be air trapped in the heater core?
Are you running Dex?

There have been instances with similar symptoms that had the heater core plug.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

my truck has been in the shop since last thursday!! and i still dont get it back yet! ugh what the hell could they be doing to it!

ill keep you guys posted

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

HenryJ wrote:
adrenalnjunky wrote:Can someone help me out with this?

I have 48K on my truck, and I'm starting to hear what I can best describe as "gurgling" when I am accelerating, and it sounds like it is coming from inside the dash...
Could it be air trapped in the heater core?
Are you running Dex?

There have been instances with similar symptoms that had the heater core plug.
I haven't flushed the coolant, no - but that was one of my first things to try -- it's a little past aoilchange time too, so I might do all that this weekend. I was ythinking of putting in that new Prestone stuff that says it is compatible with any brand or type of coolant now, so that I don't have to worry about mixing.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

well the truck is back... 10 days later and she works! yay...how long it will last who knows :lol:

alignement is another story...they did one...i think :?: but it didnt change much i think im going to go to a frame shop or whatever it is like brad said...should have doe that in the first place im so ashamed :!: we will see what happends after that

justin

Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Hey adrenalnjunky. Did you find out anything because I have the exact same symptons as you? Gurglin sound from inside the dash when I accelerate and a noise that sounds like a vacuum leak. Let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I haven't had a chance to look into it any further, and with some issues popping up elsewhere, I don't have any cash to have it checked out by a professional.

If I knew what I could do to check and look for it, I would, but I dunno where to begin.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
dboyte
Regular
Regular

Post by dboyte »

I read this post and thought I would post a reply to tell you just how bad this problem can be. I own a 2002 ZR5 crew cab and have had the problem with the vacuum actuator no the transfer case and a/c switch control problems. The actual problem is the vacuum actuator on the transfer case can and will rupture. This happened on my truck and after several attempts to fix the a/c controls they found the leak and fluid in the lines/dash. The problem gets worse, week after the repairs were done, the truck malfunctioned again on the interstate. This time the vacuum/fluid leak problem caused my truck to jump into 4WD in 5 o'clock traffic. Can you say Holy S**T. I am sure you all can imagine what it was like to have your truck do that on a busy interstate as you are hitting the off ramp to a sharp curve. It totally screwed up my truck. 43 days in the shop and the truck was less than 1 yr. old. I am currently in a lawsuit with GMC over this safety defect. GMC is aware of this problem but will not do anything about it. I have to ask if anyone experienced this after taking a long trip, etc. Be very aware of this and contact GMC often and be persistant cause it can be dangerous. E-mail me if you have any questions or similar experiences like this @ dboyte@bellsouth.net
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:
Jim wrote:Is there a way I can check for the problem before anything is screwed up, like pulling a line off to look for oil. :idea:
I think it would be a very good idea. I plan to check by pulling the hose connection at the transfercase.
As I understand it , that is the switch in which the seals can fail.
What if a small inline fuel filter were installed in the vac line...it would suck air fine until oil would get to the filter causing it to plug. Then the 4x4 wouldn't work next time you do the 4x4 test, which should be monthly, you'd know you have a problem before more damage is done.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

dboyte wrote:...thought I would post a reply to tell you just how bad this problem can be. I own a 2002 ZR5 crew cab and have had the problem with the vacuum actuator no the transfer case and a/c switch control problems. The actual problem is the vacuum actuator on the transfer case can and will rupture. This happened on my truck and after several attempts to fix the a/c controls they found the leak and fluid in the lines/dash. The problem gets worse, week after the repairs were done, the truck malfunctioned again on the interstate. This time the vacuum/fluid leak problem caused my truck to jump into 4WD in 5 o'clock traffic. ... It totally screwed up my truck. ...currently in a lawsuit with GMC over this safety defect. GMC is aware of this problem but will not do anything about it. ... it can be dangerous.
OK, I am not so rushed now and have had time to think about this post a little.

I am going to side with GM after reading the limited information that I have from the above post.

There is indeed a problem with the HVAC getting DextronIII in to the vacuum lines when the seals in the transfercase's front axle vacuum switch fail.
However this will not engage the transfercase. The transfercase is controlled by the encoder motor. I do not believe that there is any way a failure of that switch could engage "4wd".

Now I realize that you may be confusing front axle engagement with "4wd" or engaging the transfercase. I find it very unlikely that fluid in the vacuum system would cause the front axle to engage, but I suppose a failure of the switch could possibly do so.
The front axle needs vacuum to engage. It is much more likely that it would not engage if a problem exists, since the default is to the open position.

OK, let's say for some reason either the front axle actuator was stuck , or it did indeed manage to be activated. Where is the safety problem? Yes it may handle differently, but it is more of a concern for accelerated tire wear than personal safety.
There are many vehicles that travel the roads every day that are this way. Chevrolet fullsize in the late seventies through the eighties has a front axle without hubs or an axle disconnect. I relies on the open front differential for differences on wheel speed during a turn. The front driveshaft spins all the time. Most people install lockable hubs to lengthen the life of the spinning parts , and promote better mileage, not for better handling in a turn.

You may indeed feel it is a safety concern. I feel that it is no different than a tire that is low on air. Safety concern, yes. Repairable, yes. Warranting a law suit, no. A tire low on air is much more of a danger, and there is no way that GM can be blamed for that either. Stuff happens.

It does sound like they did have your truck for a long time, and for that I am sorry, but if that is what it takes to have it fixed right, so be it. As long as your inconvenience was compensated with the use of a vehicle during that time, I would not have a problem and that is an issue to be delt with during the inconvenience, not after the fact in a lawsuit.

I don't think pushing for a recall of this transfercase switch is warranted based on safety issues. I don't think those "safety" issues exist. I do feel that a replacement of all affected or "infected" parts is the right answer and that does get quite involved, taking a long time to replace them all.

Summary: I do not see a safety issue here. If you are looking for a "way out" check the lemon laws for your state. If it qualifies seek satisfaction that way.
If you are happy with the vehicle otherwise, have confidence that the problem is fixed and should no longer be an issue.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
dboyte
Regular
Regular

Post by dboyte »

I have to disagree with you on this. You apparantly have never had your truck jump into 4wd on it own at a high speed while negotiating a turn etc.
It felt like a blown tire and downshift at the same time and did several thousand dollars worth of damage to my truck including a warped axle housing. I have never taken this truck off roading and I am sure most of you know the force required to twist/warp the front diff. housing. The mechanic is the one that testified that the problem is related to the bad actuator. I have all the documents including a phone conversation between two gm reps. that GMC knows of this problem. I also have the factory manuals and can verify that sudden changes in the vacuum can cause the truck to engage the front diff. I am not crazy about having to file this lawsuit but I tried the arbritration. there are several other problems with the truck but this is a safety issue. As far as repairable, the only way to repair this is to modify the parts and GM has not done this. If you disagree with me, try switching your truck into 4wd high at 55 mph in a curve. You will change oyur mind real quick.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

dboyte wrote:I have to disagree with you on this. You apparantly have never had your truck jump into 4wd on it own at a high speed while negotiating a turn etc.
You have every right to disagree, and I welcome that. I was not there , nor have I see the truck first hand. I do however understand the components and how they function. I still don't see anyway of this happening in a manner that would cause the damage that you describe. I will admit that I am a visual person, and maybe seeing and experiencing would be believing, but that may be the only way of convincing me.
It felt like a blown tire and downshift at the same time and did several thousand dollars worth of damage to my truck including a warped axle housing.
The problem that I have here is that the system is designed to be engaged on the fly. In order for there to be this huge difference in momentum there would have to be a huge difference in wheel speeds, and then the problem would only be that the system would not mesh, or engage. Sorry I just can't imagine it ever happening.
I have never taken this truck off roading and I am sure most of you know the force required to twist/warp the front diff. housing.
Yes I do and have seen it done. But, not on an IFS suspension since there is only one tube to twist and it is not rigidly attached to the spindle. The housing itself could get twisted in the frame, but how would you know? The tolerances in frame construction are not that critical in the differential mounts. That is why they can use rubber bushings for vibration isolation. Damage to the housing itself would offer little more than leaks if it did not result in complete disenigration.
The mechanic is the one that testified that the problem is related to the bad actuator. I have all the documents including a phone conversation between two gm reps. that GMC knows of this problem.
Yes , aware of the HVAC fluid problem. I have heard nothing about a severe drivetrain failure related to this. Can you provide information as to where we might find the TSB , or Service memo mentioning drivetrain damage?
I also have the factory manuals and can verify that sudden changes in the vacuum can cause the truck to engage the front diff.
What page , section or area? I have all the manuals too. I would like to read about this , since it goes against what I know about the system.
I am not crazy about having to file this lawsuit but I tried the arbritration. there are several other problems with the truck but this is a safety issue. As far as repairable, the only way to repair this is to modify the parts and GM has not done this.
Please start another thread and enlighten us on these modifications that you feel need to be done for safety. Maybe you will open some eyes to things of which we are unaware :thumb:
If you disagree with me, try switching your truck into 4wd high at 55 mph in a curve. You will change oyur mind real quick.
I will at my earliest opprotunity, even though I have in the past. Not intentionally on dry pavement, but on the throttle hard acellerating on gravel. I did get a clunk when it engaged after letting off the throttle. It will not engage until things equalize somewhat. Gears just don't mesh otherwise.
This will not be "apples to apples" thought since I will be engaging the transfercase. Your situation was only the front axle engaging since the encoder motor was not involved.
I do like to think that I have an open mind and will try it though :D

Best of luck in arbitration. What is your ultimate goal? What are you seeking to satisfy your situation?

EDIT:Tried as requested. The best I had was corners that I could get 45 mph and merging the ramps here was really straight where you can get up to 55 mph. I did feel a sluggishness after it enaged once, and another time a little torque steer as it disengaged. Nothing noteworthy though. As I said it may not be a good comparision.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
alnino10000

Post by alnino10000 »

HenryJ,

This may surprise you but my S10 Crew Cab has the AC hissing issue AND the 4WD engaging problem. And according to GM, they are related.

I have had this piece of s**t in 4 times in the past 6 weeks for this problem. I know as soon as the AC hissing starts, that if I am on the highway, the 4WD will try to engage. I was on a 2 hr trip and it tryed to engage at least 30 times.

I have had it with this problem. My warranty is about to expire and I want to dump this vehicle. I am very unhappy.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

First off...........Welcome to the forum :D

Secondly, you have documented your problem with the dealership and hopefully you have retained all paperwork.

Your issue will be covered under your warranty even though it expires soon. I have had a couple of problems with warranty work myself so, I recommend you follow all the directions in your owners manual under "customer assistance". If you have lost your manual then you can register your crew on www.mygmlink.com and download your manual........PLUS......you will see your dealerships documentation about repairs there.

Good Luck
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

ok I think that this is the second time around for this problem. I could be wrong. I believe in that post GM had determined that there was a problem with the T Case switch. In the first post there was some confusion on the part number for the replacement switch used to correct the problem of fluid in the lines. Two questions. Is there a service bulletin on this? What is the part number for the replacement switch?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BADs Crew wrote:... I believe in that post GM had determined that there was a problem with the T Case switch... What is the part number for the replacement switch?
Check this thread- Revised transfercase switch *READ THIS THREAD!
HenryJ wrote: The new #89059420 supersedes the old number, so there should be no chance of getting the old part.

- ThunderII KE7CSK