Mileage

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

coreylubahn

Mileage

Post by coreylubahn »

So what kind of gas mileage does everyone get. I have done the air-box mod and put in a K&N and I also have a topper on the back, but I only get around 15 City and maybe 17 Highway (Maybe only 16). I would have thought the airbox mod and K&N would have helped but they didn't make much, if any difference. I always run 89 Octane (with Ethanol here in Iowa). Just seems to me that the mileage is really low. Would a new exhaust system help any...maybe I can convince the money manager (also known as my wife) to let me spend some money if there is some return to be had (as in better gas mileage). I don't know....I love the truck but the mileage stinks!!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

welcome to the site .......... i get right around 19.5-21 mpg i also mainly drive highway miles so i may be on the high end and all i have done is the air intake , exaust and a bed cover.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Thanks for the welcome...I've been lingering in the darkness for almost a year now just reading posts and looking at the modification info, but I thought it was time for me to start joining in.

Anyway, 19.5-21....wow....not even since new have I ever had even 20 (heck I can't remember even 19) when running a complete tank through on all highway. My mileage doesn't seem to change that much going city to highway, only a couple MPG if that. I'm not sure I have ever had the odometer past 255 miles on a single tank....most times I'm lucky if I get to 235. What the heck!!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

i usually stop for gas when it hits 295-300 and put 15 gals in the tank and always fun 89octane and when on highways i run 65-80mph so its not like im easy on it i guess i just hit the top end i also make sure all fluids are changed when the miles permit . i think the intake helped and the bed cover not sure the exaust did that much but noise and maybe a bit more pickup.
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

try using your cruise control more. and slow down. keeping the tach under 2000rpms will have a dramatic effect on your fuel economy.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

coreylubahn wrote:...I've been lingering in the darkness for almost a year now just reading posts and looking at the modification info, but I thought it was time for me to start joining in.
Come on in... the water's fine :wave: Welcome to the site.

If enough people chime in on this, I think you will find that mpg rates are all over the place with more being in the lower numbers.
I used to average 18.5 mpg or so with a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. I have even seen 22 -23 mpg on long highway trips. But those days seem to be long ago. I have been fighting a mileage problem for a couple months know. currently averaging 17 - 17.5 mix. I have no idea if I have fixed my problem or not because now it is cold here and I believe we have switched to winter formula gas (both mileage killers).
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I usually use my cruise religiously on road trips...if I don't I end up going 25/30 miles over (these trucks really move without feeling like it). Am I the only one that has this kind of mileage....I mean 300 on a 15 gallon tank is 20 MPG...Best I think I've ever had is like 18 on a road trip with the cruise set at 75 or 80...must be the RPMS....cause at my highway speed I never get below 2000. Interesting and informative....thanks guys!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

what rear gear do you have i have 3.73s?
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

coreylubahn wrote:I mean 300 on a 15 gallon tank is 20 MPG...
Crew cabs only have a 15 gallon tank??? I have a 19 gallon tank.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

no retep we have a 17.5 gal tank
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

jeff024 wrote:what rear gear do you have i have 3.73s?
I really don't know...I have a stock truck except what's listed in my signature, and 3.73 is stock is it not. Also, the absolute most gas I have ever stuck in my truck was like 15.5 gallons and the needle just about broke off...I'm going to have to go home and look at the window sticker and check out the tank capacity.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

coreylubahn wrote:Best I think I've ever had is like 18 on a road trip with the cruise set at 75 or 80...
that'll do it. try running a tank at around 65-70. and yes the gear ratio will make a big difference there also. the 3:42 will do better on gas where the 3:73 delivers more power.

I've got 3:73 and have never gotten better than 19mpg. more typically around 17mpg.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

coreylubahn wrote:
jeff024 wrote:what rear gear do you have i have 3.73s?
I really don't know...I have a stock truck except what's listed in my signature, and 3.73 is stock is it not. Also, the absolute most gas I have ever stuck in my truck was like 15.5 gallons and the needle just about broke off...I'm going to have to go home and look at the window sticker and check out the tank capacity.
More common to have 3:42 in an '03. check your glove box rpo codes to be sure.
G80 Axle Positraction Limited, Slip

GT4 Axle Rear 3.73 Ratio (Dup with 5X1)

GT5 Axle Rear 4.10 Ratio (Dup with GT8)

GU4 Axle Rear 3.08 Ratio

GU6 Axle Rear 3.42 Ratio
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Barch is correct. anything above 70 mph and mileage drops off fast.
I have 3.73 gears.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I'll have to check my RPO codes, but I'm fairly certain that I got the posi with the 3.73 gears when I got my truck. At least now I don't feel alone in the world that there are others that get close to the same mileage as me. I just started hearing 20...21 and started wondering what was up...must be gearing and speed choice. So now I know. Thanks all for your responses.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hi Corey! Welcome to the site! :wave:

Our CrewCab has 3.73 gears and when I was driving it, the gas mileage was pretty bad (12-15 range combined hwy/cty), but then I have a lead foot. My wife drives all the time now and she is much nicer to it than I was so I'm sure the mileage has improved quite a bit. I'll have to check it sometime.
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

I took a trip a few weeks ago (Approx 260 miles round trip) a large percentage of that was on interstate and over some fairly good sized mountains. I drove 75 -80 MPH the entire trip and there was a small amount of city driving. Round trip though I got 19.2 MPG. I have stock ZR5 wheels and tires (Goodyears) 3.73 gears, and I just recently (July) changed all fluids out to full synthetic. Eng, Trans, Diffs, & Transfercase.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mid 19s per gal is what i average . Finally someone else who get more then 17-18 and my trucks the same as yours Ken just no Z wheels .And i have never used anything other then synthetic , cost a bit more but i dont change it as often and hopefully it will be better in the long run.
Jim

Post by Jim »

With the last two tank fulls I have broken the 20 MPG barrier (barely). Both tanks were mostly Highway 65-70 MPH.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:My worst mileage was 14.1 mpg, Best mileage 22.8 mpg

Average of 39 fill-ups , 16.89 mpg

Like everyone else I am usually between 15-18 mpg normally. With extended offroading it hovers at or just below 15 mpg.
Gas Mileage

Welcome :wave:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

Starting out, I was getting between 21 and 22 miles per gallon, bone stock, using synthetic oil and changing every 3,000 miles. I got to the point of getting about 14 to 15 mpg around 45,000 miles. I did a full tune up, cap, rotor, wires and plugs (Plugs were burnt bad) and am back to 21, 22 mpg.
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Jeff wrote:Starting out, I was getting between 21 and 22 miles per gallon, bone stock, using synthetic oil and changing every 3,000 miles. I got to the point of getting about 14 to 15 mpg around 45,000 miles. I did a full tune up, cap, rotor, wires and plugs (Plugs were burnt bad) and am back to 21, 22 mpg.
Really? What plugs did you put in it?
I have just coming up on 42k.. I'm also down to about 15 to 16mpg from a 18-20 past avg.. But I also changed my tires (size/type) which I figure is affecting me a little at least.
I didnt think it would be needing plugs this soon, but it might be worth a check (I guess I'm spoiled by my girlfriend's that came with the 100,000 mile spark plugs in it 8) )
I know we have 100k anti-freeze, but I never looked up the avg life of the plugs..
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Fish4Fun

Post by Fish4Fun »

Hay everyone just found site and just picked up a 2003 ZR5 crew cab.
I got it about 2weeks ago and have been watching the gas mileage. Its just like my 99 gmc jimmy with the 4.3 on side note my jimmy started dropping off on gasmileage at around 45k then i rolled it at 53k and got the truck

I am looking at the original window sticker for mine (guy took great care of this truck only had 9k on it)

i have 3.42 axle
235/70R15 goodyears
17.5 gallon tank
i am avg just over 20mpg but i drive main interstate set on cruise at 69 35 miles one way to work and then back. i usually fill up after 230 miles and it takes 11 gallons. and i have 1/4 tank left on gauge.

the window sticker says 15 city 19 highway
fine print says EPA indicates that the majority of vehicles will achieve
12 and 18 in the city and between 16 and 22 on highway

with an annual fuel cost of $1367
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Fish4Fun wrote:.... my jimmy started dropping off on gasmileage at around 45k....
Might be worth looking into a tune-up around that mileage. Check the plugs, and probably replace the cap, rotor, and stock plug wires.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
Fish4Fun wrote:.... my jimmy started dropping off on gasmileage at around 45k....
Might be worth looking into a tune-up around that mileage. Check the plugs, and probably replace the cap, rotor, and stock plug wires.
I'm about to do the plug wires with a new cap & rotor, and I currently have 48k miles. I thought our plugs were the 100k mile platinums?? Almost every GM vehicle since 1996 that I have worked on had the platinums. Did GM give us the crappy plugs to cut more costs? :x

Steve
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

noooooooooooo...GM wouldn't do that!!! :lol: just look at the stocks,, ball joints,,............
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:
HenryJ wrote:... Check the plugs...
... I thought our plugs were the 100k mile platinums?? ...
They are rated for up to 100k. Check the plugs they will show signs of other problems like leaky injectors , rich/lean , additive fouling , etc.
They may even need replacement. At 50k you are halfway through the useful lifespan, things may not be operating at peak levels.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:They may even need replacement. At 50k you are halfway through the useful lifespan, things may not be operating at peak levels.
I wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade to the AC Delco Raipid Fires, Denso Iridiums, or something simular? Depending on the vehicle sometimes the stock plugs work best. :? I've had to learn the hard way about spark plug hype over the years with several different vehicles. :evil:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...I wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade to the AC Delco Raipid Fires, Denso Iridiums, or something simular?...
The stock plugs are pretty good and unless there is a problem, I'd run them out.

I switched to NGK Irridium's since I am running the MSD. They are working really well, but are pricey!

There is a thread on sparkplugs around here somewhere. I tried the Bosch Plat.+4. They didn't work out so well.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I tried the Bosch Plat.+4. They didn't work out so well.
I tried these on my SS and they caused idle problems, and surging at certain speeds. It seems to me that some of these fancy plugs work better on the old carbureted muscle cars than the current fuel injected computer controlled cars. :? Since I have been getting a little off topic, I average 16-18 mpg city/hwy, with the 3.73's, BL, and 31's. Only 1 time did I get 300 miles out of one tank, and this is when my truck was still new with no BL or 31" tires. :roll:

Steve