Oil Change

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oil Change

Post by CrazyChaz »

After paying my dealer $24.99 for my last oil change I have decided to do them myself. My question is that my book says the Vortec V6 4.3L holds 4.5 quarts of motor oil(mines a 2003 crew cab) but my friend has a 2000 Extended cab(same engine) and he just puts in 5 quarts when he changes the oil so which would be correct? Sorry if this sounds dumb but I just wanna make sure Im doing it right.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

1/2 a quart in the filter :wink:
CrazyChaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrazyChaz »

I never thought of that,feel kinda stupid now but thanks for the quick response.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Oil Change

Post by HenryJ »

CrazyChaz wrote:... my book says the Vortec V6 4.3L holds 4.5 quarts of motor oil(mines a 2003 crew cab) but my friend has a 2000 Extended cab(same engine) and he just puts in 5 quarts when he changes the oil so which would be correct? ...
I am pretty sure that the capacity including filter and lines is-
* 4.3 L (VIN W) 4.3 liters 4.5 quarts
Now, will it hurt to add that extra 1/2 quart? I don't think so.

If you want to know for sure, do the oil change , add 4.5 qt , run engine, stop and allow time for drain back, then check it to see if it is in the normal range of operation.

1/2 qt either way will not be a problem.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

4.5 with filter is enough
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

$24.99 isn't really all that bad. assuming of course they're changing the oil, replacing the filter and lubing all the grease points. Certainly something to consider when doing your own oil changes. With the number of lubrication related front suspension issues reported on this board, make sure you hit 'em all or bring it to a shop to have done every third or fourth oil change.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I always prime the filter before I put it on.
My truck takes 4.75 qts. to get to the top line on the dipstick.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Retep wrote:I always prime the filter before I put it on.
My truck takes 4.75 qts. to get to the top line on the dipstick.

Pete
How do you prime a filter that goes on sideways? :shock:
I always filled them on V8's before screwing them on.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Jim wrote:How do you prime a filter that goes on sideways?
A little oil is lost while putting on the filter. If your quick enough, not much oil is wasted.
I have always primed the filters on all my vehicles. Just one of my little quarks I guess.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

A diagram showing where all the zerk fittings would be nice.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Brad wrote:A diagram showing where all the zerk fittings would be nice.
There is one- Lubing and manuals

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

just to add my 2 cents, how many people know whether its worse to run to much oil, or not enough. i know, do you. and priming the filter isnt a problem, all you do is get a fork lift, now make sure you put it on the right side or instead of helping your oil filter will be upside down when you go to put it on, now that ou know the correct side, just lift your truck till its side ways, if you dont want it to roll all the way over you could put some chains or something on it, you know, now that i think about that maybe this isn't a good idea, :?: but i would be some good pictures, well, once again, maybe not, oh well
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
Paco
Regular
Regular

Post by Paco »

I put 5 quarts and have no problems. I change the oil myself. Have you noticed that when you pay to have the oil changed you hafta pay for an oil disposal fee, yet when I take my old oil to the oil change places they don't charge the disposal fee.
[size=75]Paco
03, pewter
Indianapolis, In[/size]