Keys and keyless entry transmitters (programming remotes)

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Keys and keyless entry transmitters (programming remotes)

Post by HenryJ »

I learned some things today about the keys and remotes.

There is nothing special about our keys for the security system. No chips, magnets, resistors, etc. anybody can cut a cheap key.

The remote- (Still a little "urked") Long story - short , my spare is lost and I need to replace it.

First problem , new parts guy tried to charge me list price for the replacemnt transmitter :x That didn't fly.

Second not being familliar , I did not know that there are no tools involved in programming the remotes. So I went ahead and made an appointment for the programming to be done.

In the mean time I checked the manual to see what was involved in the programming.

1. Close all the vehicle doors.
2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.
4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
7. Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Easy as pie!

Went back to the dealer, complained about being quoted list price, bought the remote at close to parts direct price, went out programmed my own remote, went back in cancelled my "overpriced-super-secret-programming" appointment, and felt real good about saving $60 today :D
Last edited by HenryJ on Tue May 18, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Glad you saved the 60 bucks.
I thought the remotes or at least the receiver were a little more sophisticated than that. My garage door opener has better security. :roll:
Maybe I will pick up an extra remote since they are so easy to program. Wouldn't mind having an extra.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are three different part numbers for the 2001.

Just read the top number on the back of your remote.
That should be a good number and the one you need.

Check out ebay and see if you can find the right part number available :D

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You're lucky...my wife's 2003 Malibu required going to the dealership to program a new remote. They didn't charge me anything for it though.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:...my wife's 2003 Malibu required going to the dealership to program a new remote. They didn't charge me anything for it though.
They told me that programming by the service department was the only way too :roll: , and wanted to charge me $39.95 :mad:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Battery replacement may require synchronization:

Transmitter Synchronization

* Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by the remote keyless entry system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR).
* The RCDLR will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.
* The panic button should still operate normally when the system is out of synchronization.
* Resynchronization may be necessary under the following conditions:
o The battery in the transmitter is very weak.
o The battery in the transmitter was replaced.
o The battery in the vehicle has been in a low or no charge condition for an extended period of time.
* In order to resynchronize the transmitter with the RCDLR, perform the following steps:
1. Stand within 1.5 meters (5 ft) from the vehicle.
2. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7 seconds.
The door locks should cycle in order to confirm resynchronization.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

When I bought my truck the guy gave me one gmc key and one chevy key. I have a gmc and they both work. I have a remote starter on my truck. He gave me one remote for the starter and no factory remotes. If I were to wanna get factory remotes for my truck what numbers do I look for, forewhich I don't have anything to go by?
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GM/UTA 15732803 three button remote

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Mine Start with GM/LEAR and have different numbers, does that mean the remote was made buy a different manufacturer?

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

HenryJ wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:...my wife's 2003 Malibu required going to the dealership to program a new remote. They didn't charge me anything for it though.
They told me that programming by the service department was the only way too :roll: , and wanted to charge me $39.95 :mad:
I checked through the manual on the Malibu and there's no instructions on programming. They actually used a scan tool at the dealership when they did it also.

On a related note, don't our trucks have Passlock 2? If so...the key itself acts as a resistor...no chip or anything inside though...just the resistance of the key material through the ignition. If the PCM doesn't get the expected resistance returned after startup, the engine shuts off. I ran into that installing a remote start on the Malibu. Had to buy the extra module and dial it in to the correct resistance and wire it into the ignition to keep it running.

Of course...if we don't have Passlock 2, then all the above info was useless. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:...if we don't have Passlock 2, then all the above info was useless. :mrgreen:
We don't have passlock :mg:
Passlock keys have a dimple.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Soemthing else to remember is that when you program a remote, you have to program all remotes associated with that vehicle. If you have an existing remote, and get another one, and program the new remote, it deletes the programming for the old, so they both have to be done at once.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
doughboy5499
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by doughboy5499 »

wamason wrote:Soemthing else to remember is that when you program a remote, you have to program all remotes associated with that vehicle. If you have an existing remote, and get another one, and program the new remote, it deletes the programming for the old, so they both have to be done at once.
What about a remote for a remote starter? would you have to have that one reprogrammed too?
:?:
[size=75]SOLD 2001 Red Sonoma CC Billet grille, nerf bars, Tek-Style tonneau, Silverstars, air box mod, K&N, Pioneer DEH P7700MP, Ventvisors, weather-tech floor mats, Rancho RS5000, 15% window tint
FOR SALE 2001 black Ford F-150 xlt 6" Fabtech susp. lift. 3" Body lift. MT wheels, Durango 315/75/16 tires, Pioneer DEH7700MP, Ventvisors, tint, hood scoop(bolt on), tool box, westin brush guard[/size]
S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Re: Keys and keyless entry transmitters (programming remotes

Post by S10CREW01 »

1. Close all the vehicle doors.
2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
3. Press and hold the door unlock switch.
4. While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
5. Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
6. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
7. Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
9. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Thanks I needed this
[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]