Reciever Hitch

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

bmann 12
Crew
Crew

Reciever Hitch

Post by bmann 12 »

I am looking to put a reciever hitch on the back of my ZR5 i was just wondering your guys' opinion on what kind i should get. the only pulling i plan on doing with it is a fourwheeler trailer with 2 fourwheelers and a jet ski. Thanks!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Reciever Hitch

Post by HenryJ »

Buy the three piece design. That is what OEM GM receivers were. Valley Industries (NAPA) sells them , as does GM accessories.

GMpartsdierct:
GM PART # 12496770
List Price: $159.00
Price: $111.30
DESCRIPTION: HITCH PKG
Weight Distribution Platform Hitch, 2" Receiver, 3,500-lb. Towing Capacity, 350-lb. Tongue Weight.

That includes the plug-n-play wiring for a truck. Not a bad price for the whole kit.

Your best buy will be a used receiver from the salvage yard for about $50

The three piece design give you the option to raise it after a bodylift. Keep an open mind and look into the benefits of that at some point if larger than stock tires are in your future.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
bmann 12
Crew
Crew

Post by bmann 12 »

what do you prefer the best set up for about 3inches of total lift? i would like to get the whole truck to sit about 3-4 inches higher as well?
"It'll buff out"
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2" bodylift , Adjust the torsion bars to the maximum Z height and add larger tires.
Personally, I was extremely happy with the "Marvelous mystery Lift".

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:2" bodylift , Adjust the torsion bars to the maximum Z height and add larger tires.
Personally, I was extremely happy with the "Marvelous mystery Lift".
X2
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
LoneWolf04
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by LoneWolf04 »

I did a lot of research on hitches before I bought mine. I decided to get a Curt hitch in part because their class III/IV hitch offers a 4,000lb towing capacity without the aid of weight distribution. This will come in handy if you tow a boat that weighs over the 3,500lb limit that Valley and I'm fairly certain, all other manufacturers list (I did a good bit of looking at major brands). With a boat and surge brakes, or even a U-haul with surge brakes, weight distribution will not be available. Just a thought for anyone looking around. If you were in an accident towing said object over the 3,500lbs, the technicality could come back to bite you in the @ss for negligence.

EDIT: Another thing I meant to post as far as hitches goes. I had an issue with my first one I purchased, which was the round tube style, which I guess is the "low profile" hitch as Curt called it talking to tech support, yet doesn't mention on their website. I have the factory step bumper and it sat too far back to use my rapid hitch reciever. Just be aware of what you are getting, might get it installed and not be what you wanted. I ended up getting the standard square tubing hitch.