Gas Mileage

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Gas Mileage

Post by BADs Crew »

Today I had a lot of work related driving to do so I thought I would check my gas mileage since I never have before. Please correct me if I'm wrong but here are my numbers.

First fill up. 15.418 Gal. 106424 miles
Second fill up. 13.914 Gal 106633 miles
15.02 MPG ( Stop and go around town)
Third fill up. 13.540 Gal 106922 Miles
21.34 MPG ( This was mostly Highway)

Is this comparable to most of our stock crews? I still have the stock exhaust and filter.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Beats me all to heck. What's your rear end ratio?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It seems like 15-17 mpg is a normal average for these trucks.

21 mpg is excellent if you can pull it off more often. :D

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I am averaging about 17.5mpg regularly on my 60 mile a day commute. Thats mostly highway but a few good hill in both directions. Haven't done many highway trips best I got was right around 20.5mpg so sounds about right to me.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

The rear is 3.73.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
williamcstonejr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by williamcstonejr »

I work construction and all of my jobs since I have had my CC have been 2 or fewer miles from the freeways. I live 1.6 miles from the 101 so all of my driving is freeway. I have played with my mileage over the last month and a half and if I drive like I used to I get between 13.5 and 17 MPG. If I set my cruise at 70 and stay in the right two lanes I get between 20.88 (worst) and 22.33 (best). I filled up last Friday after work and had 360.4 on the trip with my fuel light on what seemed like forever. It took 16.9 gallons to fill up.
360 / 16.9 = 21.3 MPG. I just wanted to push the limits to see what I could get away with; I was carrying five gallons in the bed in case I ran out. The funny thing is since I have been driving slower I seem to get to work in the same amount of time in California traffic and I pass the guys driving like a’s at least three or four times along my path to work. They speed up and dodge traffic and they lose me only to have everything come to a slow down for me to catch up 15 minutes later. The light bulb finally clicked for me. The big key for me is easy on the throttle when I am leaving a stoplight or when traffic slows down on the freeway. If I keep the rpms at or below 2000 I get good gas mileage (For this truck)
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

williamcstonejr wrote:........................................I filled up last Friday after work and had 360.4 on the trip with my fuel light on what seemed like forever. It took 16.9 gallons to fill up.....................
I'd kill for 300 on my trip! Are you some demented S-10 torturer?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

300? Sheesh, i nearly cried tears of joy when I hit 270 with the fuel light
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

Usually I fill tank up to the cap, drive 140 highway miles and get ¾ of tank when I park my truck in garage. I drive between 60 and 70 mph with no stops, DRL & AC on.
P.S. Who knows how many fuel leaves in a tank when fuel light turns on? And when it happens to run out of gas could the fuel pump get any damages?
:roll:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GAS wrote:P.S. Who knows how many fuel leaves in a tank when fuel light turns on? And when it happens to run out of gas could the fuel pump get any damages?
The fuel gauge is pretty unpredictable. I have never seen the low fuel light illuminate, and never plan to, so I really don't know what reserve you have left.
Driving on the top half of the tank is a good idea. Fuel is the cooling medium for the fuel pump. Running it low on fuel starves the fuel pump of precious cooling and the fuel sender of its lubrication.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

If I understand you right, when truck ran totally out of fuel (until motor shuts off) and fuel pump got air, fuel sender unit will get critical damage with high probability (Just like any other injector vehicles, no wonders)? :shrug:
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

I've consistantly gotten 310 miles on a 15 gal. fill-up of 70 mph interstate only driving and 245ish miles on the same 15 gal. around town.