WARRANTY CONCERNS OR ISSUES NEED YOUR HELP!!

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

PAULIBIKER

WARRANTY CONCERNS OR ISSUES NEED YOUR HELP!!

Post by PAULIBIKER »

MY 04 S10 crew is almost out of warranty. What are some common problems that I should look for? I want to get everything fixed under warranty that I can.
THANKS Paul
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Are you wanting to check what you can yourself and pay a shop to check the things you can not?

If you are wanting a list to hand to the dealership, you have come to the wrong place. It will do you no good and probably just serve to piss them off.

A search of this site will lead you in many directions and be time well spent. I did a quick search and did not come up with a good thread, although some work may reveal it.

Now , I will assume your intentions are good and you don't mind getting a little dirty to check out a few things.

Here are some things to check. I am sure others will add more. This is in no particular order and just what I can recall over the last almost seven years.

Shocks. Look for leakage. That will be enough to get them replaced. They are junk, and even the new ones will be poor at best. Replacing them under warranty is pretty useless, but you can if you find them leaking. Time would be better spent buying a good set of aftermarket shocks.

Radiator cap. Most of the stock caps fall into the category of the above. Stock stuff is poor at best. If the gasket has shrunk or shows signs of improper seal it would be a warranty item. If the recovery valve is not spring loaded, it needs to be replaced. Again I would suggest aftermarket replacements.

Front suspension. Pay an alignment shop to do an alignment and check of the frontend components. If you haven't had an alignment in the last 20k miles you are overdue. Have them pay close attention to the ball joints and wheel bearings. grease everything while you are checking them. Lack of proper lubrication is not the dealers problem.

Cooling system. Go to a reputable repair shop, or radiator shop. You need to have the system pressure checked. This will test the integrity of the intake manifold gaskets as well as the thermostat housing seal. Check the fluid condition. Crystals forming or a murky look to the fluid signal contamination and impending doom. Change the coolant. That is your responsibility , not the dealers. If it is contaminated, change it before taking it in for warranty repairs just to save arguments.

Fuel system. Replace the fuel filter if it has not been done in the last 10k miles. Then either buy a gauge and test the system yourself or have a good repair shop test the system. There are detailed instructions on the tests in another thread.

Four wheel drive. You need to crawl underneath and pull the hoses off of the transfercase vacuum switch to check for fluid in the lines. Make sure the system engages properly , including the front axle. It might not hurt to take a look at the actuator under the battery tray to make sure there is no corrosion or damaged parts.

Tailgate cables. They are warranted for another dozen years, so no real worry there. Do follow the inspection procedure though and check them while you are checking things.

Detailed information on all of the above is available through a quick Search.

You are going to probably be a better judge of what needs attention. Do a good tune up and check all the fluids. Keep your eyes open and look everything over closely. You may find metal , water or low levels that signal a leak or contamination. You might find a damaged distributor housing, or broken motor mounts. Who knows. You can bet the GM tech does not have the time to spend looking for things, nor will they care like you do.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Watch the language-HJ

I took my truck into the dealer a couple of months ago to get the cables warrantied/recalled and the service writer said there wasnt a warranty/recall on them
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

My CVC boots went out just out of warranty. I also had a rear tranny seal go out just before the warranty expired.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

T Man wrote:I took my truck into the dealer a couple of months ago to get the cables warrantied/recalled and the service writer said there wasnt a warranty/recall on them
Should have done some research here first. He was right, there is no recall. If you have your receipts you can get reimbursed. Print a copy of the "Special Policy".

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Didnt have him do any work on it. Ill keep it in check from here on out
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check out this thread. Tailgate Cable Inspection and Replacement
Print out the "Special Policy" and you can get them inspected. You can do this your self too. If they need to be replaced GM will do it free of charge.

Here is the inspection procedure: http://www.gm.com/cables/

- ThunderII KE7CSK