CAN THE HPIII HELP WITH THE SES LIGHT

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

TEXS10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CAN THE HPIII HELP WITH THE SES LIGHT

Post by TEXS10 »

Hey guys as I left from the power plant (work) today , the SES light illuminated (2003 Crew) :twisted: . This happened durning the summer and I had Auto Zone (I didn't have the HPIII at this time) put their computer on it . The diagnosis was code PO442 evaporation leak, I was never able to find any type of leak :!: it might be around the intake on the back side, never needed to add any coolant :!: . Now I know that SES lights is for emission and the weather has really changed here in south Texas (cold, low tonight 24 F). My questions are can I use my HPIII to get my get the diagnostic code ? And if I have to take it back to Auto Zone do I need to put back the factory setting back on ? Any help will be appreciated !!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My '02 HPIII doesn't read codes but, if you have refueled lately check your gas cap. You may have put it on incorrectly and it will toss a light. Hope that is all that tossed the light.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You will not need to flash the PCM back to stock. Autozone will be able to scan the code just fine.

Check your gas cap.

The system periodically draws a vacuum on the system and if there is a leak it throws the code.

Several parameters must be met.

If the cap and seal look good watch the filler neck at the tank. A couple of guys have had troubles with a cracked tank. Most noticed fuel leakage when filling the tank as a symptom.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I think that was the same code I set and my Gas tank started leaking at the neck and I cleared the code with my HPP
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

If I remember correctly that was code when my gas cap was loose too.

Tightening the cap doesn't make the light go immediately. I think it's something like 5 to 10 clean starts before it goes off.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

barch97 wrote:If I remember correctly that was code when my gas cap was loose too.

Tightening the cap doesn't make the light go immediately. I think it's something like 5 to 10 clean starts before it goes off.
Either that or disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes after tightening down the cap.

My gas cap needed t be replaced about 3 months ago. The seal was cracked in several places.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i get that code about once every 3 months (usually after refueling). i just clear it with the Hypertech.

my HPPIII checks for DTC's and tells you what the code is when it finds any, did i misread the posts or do yours do this too?
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
TEXS10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TEXS10 »

I was wondering if I could get, and clear the code with my HP III ? How do I go about clearing it ? The manual doesn't show any instructions ?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

if yours is anything like mine which is for the 04s when you 1st plug it in is does a scan then you just answer what it ask
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

TEXS10 wrote:I was wondering if I could get, and clear the code with my HP III ? How do I go about clearing it ? The manual doesn't show any instructions ?
Yes the newer ones that show the codes will also clear them.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

the HPPIII should walk you through everything and it should go something like this

Plug the Hypertech in and turn it on
Turn the key to on/accessories when prompted
Once all the vehicle identification stuff finishes, it should read something like "checking for diagnostic trouble codes" (DTC's)
It'll scan your system and report how many you have (if you hve any) and give you the option to view them Y to view N to not
(you'll get a prompt to write them down)
Next it'll show you the DTC's you have one at a time(copy them down)
Then it will say something like "would you like to view DTC's again?" press Y if you would N if you don't
Somewhere along here it'll say DTC's must be cleared to enter Power Programming mode, do you want to clear DTC's Y for yes N for no
Hit Y, they erase, and it clear's the SES light
Last thing it does is ask you if you want to exit the program or enter into the Power Programmer mode. you can exit now.
Let the HPPIII turn off
Unplug the HPPIII, turn key off, wait 30 seconds to a minute, and start the engine.....the SES light should be gone.

:D hope that works for ya
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
TEXS10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TEXS10 »

Hey bwenny 247. I followed your instructions to the t, but the DTC's never showed up, but I followed the loading instructions again, and it cleared the code. I'am not to concerned about the code, but I really would have like to seen the#. I made a copy of your instructions and followed them to a t, what could gone wrong ? Will be goinn on a test in a couple of minutes. THANKS
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

bwenny247s works just like mine.MY truck is an 04 so if its a leter model it may not have this feature
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

hmmmm.......was your SES light on while you were using the HPPIII? if the lights not on i don't think it will register a DTC.

my truck's an 01 and it does it and jeffs is an 04 so i think we've got all the years covered. don't know man, the truck might have cleared itself before you used the HPPIII and that's why it didn't show up
:shrug:

either way, if the codes not there anymore and the SES light isn't on. you're good to go.
TEXS10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by TEXS10 »

Thanks Guys for all the help, truck is running fine 8) and the light is off. Till next time.