Full Synthetic Oil?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Buckshot
Regular
Regular

Full Synthetic Oil?

Post by Buckshot »

At what mileage should I switch a full synthetic motor oil? My ZR5 has less than 20k and I was wondering if it's too early to switch to that type of oil.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I switched at 3K. It's not a big deal and if, you are still under warranty, use the 5-30W that is recommended.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Buckshot
Regular
Regular

Post by Buckshot »

Since you mentioned 5W30 motor oil, I know that is the recommended oil to use, what is the deal with the various weight motor oils? I usually run 10W40 in the winter months and 20W50 in the summer months. I seem to remember someone saying something about lighter weights in the winter and heavier weights in the summer. But all of my vehicles have in excess of 50K, I've never owned one this new.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I am running Amsoil 0w-30 changed to it at 9000mi.
According to Amsoil you can change anytime. first oil change on a new truck would be fine. Our crews use 5w-30 mulitviscosity oil as standard. If you look at the manual you will see that under all but the most sever driving comditions that weight oil will be fine. I went with 0w-30 to try to help with winter gas milage it will warm up just a little faster and is good to a higher temp than my engine will ever see.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am on an extended warranty plan and they look for any reason not to pay for a repair. different weight other than what GM recommends is excuse enough for them to leave you paying the bill.

I was only stating my opinion and even though you can safely go longer than 3K with a filter change at 3K using synthetics, I am going by the book on the intervals. One thing I love about the synthetics is how the oil pressure increased the moment I started using it.

I prefer Mobil1 oil and prefer K&N filters but, will use Delco, Mobil or a Wix before I would let a Fram get near my rig :shock:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Buckshot
Regular
Regular

Post by Buckshot »

Great tip about the warranty thing. Guess I'll wait about the full synthetic oil thing and the 6'' Superlift and the.......................... :lol:
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote: I prefer Mobil1 oil and prefer K&N filters but, will use Delco, Mobil or a Wix before I would let a Fram get near my rig :shock:
Fram is bad? Uh oh! :shock:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Rusty wrote:
f9k9 wrote: I prefer Mobil1 oil and prefer K&N filters but, will use Delco, Mobil or a Wix before I would let a Fram get near my rig :shock:
Fram is bad? Uh oh! :shock:
I used them for years and never had a problem but there has been many reports about them failing in the past. Things may have improved but, I just don't want to take any chances. :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What is the cost of the synthetic oil you guys are using?

What does a oil change cost, and how often? I'd like to see a projected annual maintence cost comparison with a good "dino-oil".

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:What is the cost of the synthetic oil you guys are using?

What does a oil change cost, and how often? I'd like to see a projected annual maintence cost comparison with a good "dino-oil".
Can't put up a good fight with you on the synthetics, Brule. :D

It's just something I am trying with this truck. A five qt jug of Mobil 1 at wallyworld is just under $20.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

HenryJ wrote:What is the cost of the synthetic oil you guys are using?

I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil @ about $5.75-6 a quart and mobil 1 oil filters @about $11.00-12 a filter and change my oil at around 7000 miles beings im 90% highway miles at 93000 miles in 21 months

oil change at around 40-45 $
changed about every 8 weeks @ nearly 1000 miles per week
oil changes so far 12
total cost about 540-600 bucks
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Amsoil series 2000 synthetic 0w-30 1gal bottle preferred customer price $26.95. Extended drain interval of 1yr or 35,000mi with Amsoil super duty oil filter $8.95 once every 6mo. They have just come out with a 1yr filter as well. If you go with their oil,oil filter and air filter with their bypass oil system (secondary one micron filter system) you can get oil analizer kits for about $20 and they will check oil and tell you if there is any wear and also when you need to change the oil. With this system it may be possible to go years without changing oil depending on driving conditions.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I would go longer between changes and I will, once my "after market" warranty expires.

Jeff, why do you buy the quarts? It's that expensive here if, I buy it by the quart.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I dont but thats the Quart price I can only find it in a 6pack forget what the 6pk price is
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I use royal purple 10W30 oil and a regular ac delco filter. Its about 7 bucks a quart. I change it every 5k miles.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

from an old mechanic here: i have seen many a fram oil filter fail!!!!!!! can tell several storys!!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Yep You Guys Convinced Me About The Phram Filters In This Thread

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2321

I Only Use K&N Filters Mobil 1 Oil And Do My Oil Changes Every 5,000 Miles
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
Buckshot
Regular
Regular

Post by Buckshot »

While I have not experienced a Fram filter failure, I will not be using them again in the future. I used the AC Delco PF52 this time but next I would like to try the K&N as I did not realize they made oil filters. On a side note, when I pulled the drain plug I noticed some metal shavings the magnet picked up!!!! :shock: !!!!!! I've never seen this before from my Blazer or my other S-10. Leftovers from the factory???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

An interesting post:
Lost Canadian wrote:I use German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30 year round. Used oil analysis tests from users have consistently shown that engine wear indicators (metals found in used oil) are lower when using this oil then when using Mobil 1, Amsoil, and many others. Castrol Syntec 0w-30 which is commonly referred to as "German Castrol" is one of the very few true synthetics out there unlike Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and the other US made Castrol Syntec weights. What does true synthetic mean, well it means its base stock is made from PAO/Esters, not Group III (which starts off as dino oil).

Other examples of true synthetic oils are Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple. Mobil 1 use to be a true synthetic but they have recently changed their formula to the cheaper group III base stock, which is made from dino bones. How come they can call them synthetic oils then you ask. Well Penzoil a few years back won a court case which has allowed themselves as well as other companies to call what is referred to as 'hydro cracked' dino oil a "synthetic" in the US.

Don't be fooled however by the label they are not true synthetics and they do not protect like a true synthetic as used oil analysis tests have shown over and over again.

Also something to be aware of, in the case of Mobil 1 they never reduced the price of their oil after they cheapened their formula. So if you are going to go with a synthetic and have the choice between Mobil 1, or Amsoil, German Castrol Syntec or Redline go with the later three.

Don't get me wrong, all of the so called synthetics like M1, penzoil etc. are good oils but if you are willing and are going to pay the hefty premium to get into a synthetic then you might as well get your moneys worth and get the best.

As far as putting a 0w-30 weight oil in your truck like the German Castrol you may be thinking well isn't it thin and watery? The answer to that myth is no! At cold temps, the 0w weight correlates to cold cranking viscosity. That means an oil like German Castrol 0w-30 will begin to flow and will protect quicker at cold start up temps. (Which is a good thing!) but as the engine reaches normal operating temps, the oil will not thin out any more then a standard 30 weight oil and in the case of the German Castrol 0w-30 it is actually close to a 40 weight. German castrol has tested to be one of the thickest 30 weight oils out there.

As for oil filters the two best are Mobil 1 and K&N both are made by Champion labs. WIX, Purolator, and Toyota brand are also pretty good are 1/3rd the cost, and do a decent job of filtering.
Lost Canadian wrote:It's total bull though that Mobil is still selling its M1 at a equal price point to Amsoil and some of the other PAO oils. They should at least drop the price a little. Amsoil and M1 use to be on level playing fields as they both used the more expensive PAO as the base but since M1 changed to a cheaper group III mineral you would think they would have adjusted their price accordingly. What's ironic about all this is that it was Mobil who sued Penzoil a few years back because Penzoil was the first to use a group III mineral as a base and call it synthetic. Mobil fought tooth and nail proclaiming that Penzoil was misleading it's consumers and was using dishonest marketing practices. In the end Penzoil won the case and was allowed to use the term 'synthetic' for it's group III oils, now only a few years later Mobil has gone and done a 180 and is using group III oils as the base stock in their synthetic, I just shake my head. I guess the reason they have not changed the price of their oil is because they plan to ride the wave of their past reputation and hope the average consumer doesn't get smart to what they have done to their formula. Shame shame if you ask me, that just reeks of corporate greed, but what can ya say, it's what many of us have come to expect of the oil companies.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

SONOMA915 wrote:I use royal purple 10W30 oil and a regular ac delco filter. Its about 7 bucks a quart. I change it every 5k miles.
10/30 RP & Wix here :)
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.[/size]