Bearings bearings bearings oh my!

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Bearings bearings bearings oh my!

Post by Walt »

Looks like it's time. I've got bearings going out in the front. I think it's on the drivers side. I will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow.

In the last two weeks, I've noticed increased road noise, and a small bit of vibration, which has intensified in the last few days. I checked each tire last week, wondering if one was out of round or balance. The weight on the front driver's side tire was missing, so I stopped by wally world and they re-balanced the tire. Some of the vibration was gone, but the noise was still loud as ever. This isn't just tire hum, it's more pulsating, and varies with speed. Also noticed that wheen I turned left, the noise and vibration diminished some, and when I turned right, the exact opposite happened.

Thank goodness my warranty covers it :D
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

if the noise is worse turning right......probably the right front bearings!!! be sure they check the left side bearings as well!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

im starting to get a slight vibration but only between 75-80 mph at 74 nothing and at 81 nothing .
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

I had my bearings replaced about a month ago. I had the truck in the dealership for my "thump/clunk" noise (that I've ranted about in other posts) and they found the bearings to be bad. (Among other things.) At the rate I'm going, I'm gonna have new parts in the front front end of my rig!!! Good thing I bought that extended warranty! It dun paid for itself already!
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Pauleo wrote:Good thing I bought that extended warranty! It dun paid for itself already!
I hear ya on that one. :thumb: I have had about $3000 worth of work done on my CC since the factory warranty ran out @ 36k miles. My 100k mile extended warranty only cost me $1600, so you could say I got my $'s worth so far. :D

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Would love to have Barch's input at this point. I never had an extended warranty before my crew but it has already paid off :D

My last new vehicle was what must be equal to his luck with his current "rig" :lol:

I am at 15K and the $973 has already paid for it self :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

f9k9 wrote:Would love to have Barch's input at this point.
I just passed 82000 miles and have not required a repair that costs half what you guys have paid for extended warranties. Just lucky I guess.

...or maybe you guys just don't know how to drive a high performance vehicle properly :P
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

barch97 wrote:...have not required a repair that costs half what you guys have paid for extended warranties. Just lucky I guess.
Right there with ya :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Although, if I was under warrenty, I'd probably bring it in for things that I now just ignore. The airbag light for example. :roll:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

barch97 wrote:Although, if I was under warrenty, I'd probably bring it in for things that I now just ignore. The airbag light for example. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

barch97 wrote:Although, if I was under warrenty, I'd probably bring it in for things that I now just ignore. The airbag light for example. :roll:
Hey Barch! Does that light ever come on when anyone ELSE drives your rig or just when YOU do???

...Oh....wait a minute....... you said AIRbag, not WINDbag!!!! My bad!

:poke:

:lol: :roflmao: :wink:

Just kiddin' ya, buddy!

:hide:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

:rant:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

HenryJ wrote:
barch97 wrote:...have not required a repair that costs half what you guys have paid for extended warranties. Just lucky I guess.
Right there with ya :mg:
Knock on wood I just hit 89000 miles and only repair as of now was a leaking back window
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

You guys are soooooo lucky. :roll: Ever since I bought my CC in 2002 I have had it in for service 10 times and have had at least 25 components either fixed or replaced under warranty. :( I currently have 66k miles. If it weren't for all the fun I've had in this truck I'm sure I would have upgraded to something different by now. :D

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I've been fairly fortune, though my warranty has paid for itself.

1. Fuel pump
2. AC
3. Rear veshaft
4. Soon to be front bearings.

:)
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Not so fortunate. :(

AC Compressor 2x
CV Shaft (Damaged Boot) 1x
Encoder Motor 3x
Delco Battery 2x
Driver Side Window Switch 1x
Front Upper Control Arm Bushings 2x
Exhaust Gaskets 2x
3rd Brake Light Housing 1x
4x4 Switch (Dash) 1x
Torsion Bar Mount Bushings 2x
Fuel Level Sensor 1x
Fuel Sensor PCM Update 2x
Central Port Injection to Multi Port Injection Upgrade 1x
Throttle Position Sensor 1x
Idler Arm 1x
Power Steering Pump 1x
Power Steering Gear Box 2x

I'm sure there is more, but I think this should explain most of my Crew's history. :!:

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Oh, forgot about getting my battery replaced too. Right after I got the CC.

The reason my fuel pump was replaced is because my warranty wouldn't cover just the level indicator, so one of the techs I know took care of it since the warranty would cover the entire pump assembly :D
--Walt
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Truck is in for bearing replacement. I dropped it off last night. They said it would be ready tomorrow afternoon. They're replacing bearings on both sides in the front, replacing a CV boot, and replacing the pads/shoes on the emergency brake(and something else on it, but I can't remember what it is). Everything is going to cost me $160 total. The bearings are covered by my extended warranty, the CV boot is covered by them, and I'll have to pay for the emergency brake fix.

Hopefully I'll get the truck back tomorrow afternoon....It's raining here, and I absolutely HATE driving anything but my CC in bad weather :cry:
--Walt