my truck smells

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

my truck smells

Post by gairbear »

OK...after I drive a bit...when I park...my truck stinks...smells like burnt rubber. I can't, for the life of me, figure out what it is. Any input would help alot.

Thanks
Gair
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

check your belts and make sure they are tight and in good condition.

Oh, and stop doing burnouts, that might help to
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

that smell comes with the sonomas its not like that in the CHEVYS

:)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

LOL
Jim

Re: my truck smells

Post by Jim »

gairbear wrote:OK...after I drive a bit...when I park...my truck stinks...smells like burnt rubber. I can't, for the life of me, figure out what it is. Any input would help alot.

Thanks
Gair
Mine stinks too. It's the frame coating, down by the exhaust manifolds when it's hot you can wipe it off it's so soft.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

That sucks....can anything be done about that??
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

trade for the chevy :)
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

gairbear wrote:That sucks....can anything be done about that??
don't run the motor for more than a few minutes at a time
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

LOL...nah...I think I'll stick w/ the stink.
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

jeff024 wrote:trade for the chevy :)
Sorry, Jeff! Mine's a Chevy & I have the same problem he's having! :(
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This is nothing more than what I had heard.

I had a friend here with a 2001 Highrider. His truck stunk like a "wet dog" when he left the windows up in the warm weather. It also seemed more pronounced when running the heater for some reason.

His source was narrowed down to the center console arm rest. It was replaced under warranty, and rumor has it that it was a substandard product of mexico.
I really don't know if this did completely solve the problem, but I didn't hear complaints after the replacement.
He later took a job that required relocation.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Mine smells also, usually after a good mexican dinner.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Are you driving with your shoes off when this happens? :?: If your ever around my way I have a ozone plasma generator that will remove any order you have in your truck in a matter of min. But you need to find the source first and repair it. It sounds like you have a few ideas already.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

Great now my SES light came on...WTF?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

gairbear wrote:Great now my SES light came on...WTF?
Put your shoes back on! ;)

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

LOL
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I was just reading through this thread on my lunch hour today and totally cracked up.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

jeff024 wrote:that smell comes with the sonomas its not like that in the CHEVYS

:)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now thats funny.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I get a "wet dog" smell too in my blazer , usually when i start it up when parked facing downhill . and after a rain fall aswell . the windsheild glass steams up for a minute then it goes away . Dunno what it is .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Small leak in the heater core maybe? Try running a pressure test on the system and see if it holds.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:I get a "wet dog" smell too in my blazer , usually when i start it up when parked facing downhill . and after a rain fall aswell . the windsheild glass steams up for a minute then it goes away . Dunno what it is .
The right or left plenum drain may be plugged or the drain has excess sealer that acts as a dam. Water may enter through the air box if the air box is loose. The air box may have excess sealer causing interference and not allowing the air box to seat properly. Remove the obstruction or trim away excess sealer leaving no higher than 1/4 in to the bottom edge of the drain.

If the air box is loose, tighten the lower right fastener first, then the other fasteners in a clockwise order (lower right, lower left, upper left, upper right) to 89 lb in. If the air box cannot be seated properly against the front of dash due to an interference from the sealer, cut away excess sealer in order to allow a proper seal. Max A/C opens the recirculation/air box door (upward) in the air box. Water can pool on the door and gain entry to the front passenger compartment. Excess water can enter through the cowl grill fasteners and drop onto an open air box door, or splash onto the door from the plenum. It is sometimes possible to minimize the amount of water gaining access to the door by applying thumb grade sealer to the right most cowl grille fastener and the upper fender bolt holes before securing.

Check to see of your carpet is wet as well. This can be a void in the cowl sealer leaking to the interior.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ZR5OnIt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

De-Funkifying Your Vehicle

Post by ZR5OnIt »

My truck had a musty smell through the vents when I got it. I guessed it was because of mold or something in the vent system. I bought it in Texas where the humidity is much higher than here in CO, that may have something to do with it.
You could replace the A/C filter, but that wouldn't do anything for the funk that resides in the vents.
Anyway, I turned the A/C on, turned the fan on high, got a pint of bleach and slowly poured it into the vents below the windshield. Voila! The smell is gone & is still gone after 3 mo. Did this to my other car too & it worked like a charm.
Tips:
-Make sure the A/C is on outside air, not Recirc, so it draws air in from the windshield vents
- Open the windows or you will damn near kill yourself with the chlorine in the air
-You could do this with the heat on High as well, this will kill any funky stuff on your heater core
-You could try a scented bleach for a better smell (Dude Alert: No floral scents :wink: )
[size=75]2003 ZR5, 6" Superlift, cut out flares, step rails, 1.5" rear spacers, 15x8 Pro Comp 1079 wheels w/ 3.75" BS, 33/12.50-15 BFG AT-KO tires[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Blaze One wrote:I get a "wet dog" smell too in my blazer , usually when i start it up when parked facing downhill . and after a rain fall aswell . the windsheild glass steams up for a minute then it goes away . Dunno what it is .
The seal is apparently broken around the top of my windshield. If I park facing downhill and it rains, rain water is chaneled along top of doors and into gap at top of windshield. The headliner is usually wet right above the mirror.

I fixed this by parking facing uphill when it rains. :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

barch97 wrote:
The seal is apparently broken around the top of my windshield. If I park facing downhill and it rains, rain water is chaneled along top of doors and into gap at top of windshield. The headliner is usually wet right above the mirror.

I fixed this by parking facing uphill when it rains. :wink:
just pull the rubber back from the top of the winshield and put a winshield sealant in the gap (problem solved) sold at your local Pepboys, I had to do it on my last toyota truck
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I gotta get the glass replaced before inspection next month anyhow.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Make sure the shop uses good quality glass. We had trouble with one of the Fords and a windshield that would not seal at the top. It repeatedly leaked.
Turns out the low quality glass had a different curvature and would be tight at the corners while gapped at the center.

- ThunderII KE7CSK