AC Delco Batteries. BAD?

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

AC Delco Batteries. BAD?

Post by daevans315 »

Have very many people replaced their stock battery?. Mine just left me stranded with little warning yesterday. 3 years and 50,000 miles is not to bad but I would hope to get more out of a battery. This is the 3rd AC Delco I've not gotten good life out of. My 97 s-10 battery went bad at 2 years and 25,000 miles, replaced under warranty and went bad about 2 years later. Is anyone else having the same experience?
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

My truck was two yrs old when I bought it but, I replaced the stock one after 6 months with an Optima.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Swoosh

Post by Swoosh »

I bought my truck new in August 2004 and the battery died two weeks ago. I took it to the dealer and was told that the battery wouldn't hold a charge, so they replaced it free of charge. The funny thing is that it died the day after I got it back from the dealer for numerous electrical repairs, including a bad transfer case shift control module. :x Once my warranty expires, I'll buy an optima battery too. :idea:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Mine made it almost a year...which isn't too bad seeing as I was still in AZ then. Most batteries don't last more than 1-2 years out there.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Battery troubles anyone.....
My stock AC Delco battery is still going strong in my wifes Cavalier. Four years now.

The AC Delco batteries are what I run in the fleet. They hold up better than the rest of the inexpensive batteries.
Nothing lasts forever and the Delco batteries seem to go 4-5 years around here.

The Optima's have been working really well, and I upgraded when the wife's battery died. I put my year old Delco in her car and put a Red Top in mine.
My old S-10 still has the Optima that I installed in it ten years ago.
These batteries are the only ones that I have had actually start the HenryJ after sitting all winter.

The Optima is still a lead acid battery, It uses a mat to separate the spiral wrapped plate. This wicks the acid and keeps the plates covered , which reduces sulphation and the formation of gasses. Hence the ability to be a sealed battery, and enhancing the lifespan. This design is also very good where vibration, or jarring is present.
Many of the flat plate batteries fail when the plastic screens that separate the plates break down , allowing the plates to touch and short circuit.
This is the reason that you never mount a dragracers battery length ways, The plates slam together during launch and eventually break down.

When shopping don't get too excited about cranking amps. Look for the reserve capacity and number of charge/discharge cycles. Cranking power is nice, but not if you only get one shot at it ;) Big reserve is what you want. The charge/discharge cycles will give you some idea of the longevity you can expect. Most batteries don't list this. Some of the more expensive ones will.

Well that is all WAY more than you wanted to know, probably :oops:
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

gee...thanks henryj!!!! mine is an 04 crewcab,,,,,and before winter sets in i will put an optima in it. the winters here can "kill" a delco!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is some more to read:
Optima Red top

The dual posts of the Optimas do come in handy for attaching cables and accessories too. I ran cables to the front and rear with quick connects. I can attach the winch, generator, booster cables, or the air compressor. It really is handy.

I have no experience with these , but they are worth looking into: Odyssey dry cell You could mount two of these in the area one lead acid battery takes up.

There are many options. Panther batteries look good as do many others.

The very hot climates really kill a battery. I have heard before that even the best rarely last much more than two years in these conditions. A less expensive battery may be a better option, if that is the case.

Keep in mind what and how you will be charging the battery with and stick to a battery designed to be charged hard and fast to limit the alternator abuse. A good battery will prolong the life of your charging and starting system. Take your time and make a wise decision when upgrading.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

My stock battery is still good but the terminal post pulled completely out of the battery, one week after warranty ran out. Guy at dealer told me that they had problems with them in 2002. If I had taken it in when it corroded last year I probably could have gotten a new one. By the way the battery in my 99 Silhouette still going strong and bought new in Oct 98.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 model, V-6 vortec engine,Battery?

Post by Qamar »

Hi Guys
Today my subject truck battery died. I had replaced a new battery (AC Delco) a month back. So now i have tried to jump start the truck with my another car. Well the truck takes a start, but when i remove the battery cables and put the truck in D Drive, the engine dies again. Well after that i had removed the new Delco Battery and got it fully charged by the battery expert shop. Now the position is that i can see the dial lights in the dash but can't hear any voice of the self meaning the cranking of engine.
What could be the problem. My question is that when i had jumped started the engine of my truck with my another car why it suppetered the moment i remove the jump start cables. There is no problem with the fuel also. I can hear the fuel pump wining noise also.
Pl help as i am in great problem. Do i need to replace the battery or how do i check that the battery is fully charged by the electricaian. I have the OHM meter also...
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Sounds to me like you have a bad alternator...has anyone (at the shop or anything) checked this? When you jumped from the other car it got any voltage it needed from the other vehicle but when you remove the cables your battery must supply the load. A battery will drain very quickly if the alternator is dead...and won't be getting charged so the truck will die. I would recommend getting your alternator looked at...I bet it's your problem.
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

I think you are 100% right. When i jump start my truck from my other car, the voltage meter in the dash shows the needle near 13 volts, whereas the moment i take off the jumper cables the truck dies there and then. It sounds that the alternator is going bad.

Thanks for the feedback and i will keep you updated.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

No problem!! :wink:
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

The Delco battery died suddenly this morning with out warning. The indicator is still green....it is possible that it may be a duller shade of green than what a new battery would show. I'm :x
If the battery was creeping death, the indicator should have changed to yellow or red, not a few degrees away from its original color.

3.5 years old, 70k miles.

Now I have an excuse to buy a Red Top. :D
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I had 3 stock Delco failures before I got an Optima. :roll: Two of the stock Delcos failed because of an internal short, and the other failed because the positive terminal fell off and spilled acid into the battery tray. :x I've had my Red Top for the past 50k miles with absolutely no problems. :D

Steve