Blazer 1996 Model, Votec engine, automatic, raditor

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

Qamar
Crew
Crew

Blazer 1996 Model, Votec engine, automatic, raditor

Post by Qamar »

Hi Guys

I need to flush out the coolant from the system. For that shall be grateful if someone can tell me as how to drain the coolant from the raditor from its plug which is on the bottom passenger side. I am sure that thats the small nob which ought to be opened. I dont want to break it as i have tried to open it, but was not successful.
Shall be greatful if somone can tell me as how to open it. If possible kindly show a picture of the same.

Thanking in advance
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I used a pair of pliers to open it, and a wide flat-blade screwdriver to close it. I found it easier to get to it through my inner fenderwell, but that may have been due to the bodylift making extra space.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

You mean to say that while using the pliyer you had moved it to the anti clock position, or first you have to push the nob inside and then move it anti clock wise?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

For some reason during my cutting and pasting some parental feature has replaced drain C O C K with drain C###

Draining and Filling Cooling System
Draining Procedure

Caution
Do not remove the radiator cap while the cooling system is hot. Serious personal injury may result. Only remove the radiator cap from a cool engine.

Engine Coolant Recycling
The use of a waterless, GM approved coolant recycling system on the vehicle eliminates the need for evacuation. This system is available through the GM Dealer Equipment program (or the equivalent). This method removes the used coolant and replaces it with approved new or with recycled coolant. When this equipment is not available use the following procedure.

Make sure the system has cooled, then remove the radiator filler cap.
Place a drain pan under the radiator drain c###.
Install a tube on the drain c###.

Place the end of the tube in the drain pan.
Open the drain c### completely.
Allow the cooling system to drain until the flow stops. If only the radiator is drained, up to 40% of the old coolant will remain in the system.
Place a drain pan under the engine.

Remove the drain plugs from each side of the engine block, 4.3L shown.
There may be more drainage from the radiator at this time.
Allow the engine block to drain until the flow stops.

Apply a sealer to the threads and then tighten the engine block drain plug(s). Tighten
Tighten the engine block drain plugs to 32 N·m (25 lb ft).

Important
Dispose of the used engine coolant properly. Store it in a used coolant Holding Tank awaiting proper disposal or recycling. Never pour used coolant down the drain. Ethylene glycol antifreeze is a very toxic chemical. Disposal into the sewer system or into the ground water is both environmentally irresponsible and illegal.

If the drained coolant is discolored, flush the cooling system. Refer to Flushing
If the drained coolant appears normal, continue with the filling procedure.

Make sure the radiator drain c### is closed.
Check the strength of the old coolant, before attempting to reuse it. Refer to Coolant .
When you need additional antifreeze solution:
Pre-mix ethylene glycol at a ratio of 50/50 with clean, distilled water.
Distilled water reduces the accumulation of scale in the cooling system.
Place a large mouth funnel in the radiator fill opening.
Slowly add the coolant mixture.
Fill to ½ inch below the radiator fill opening.
Start the engine.
As the cooling system warms up and the thermostat opens, the coolant level will drop.
Add coolant until the level is up to the radiator fill opening.
Do not spill the coolant onto the exhaust system or other hot engine parts.
Under some circumstances the ethylene glycol in the coolant is combustible.
Replace the radiator filler cap.

Check the level in the coolant recovery reservoir, add coolant if needed.
Test the cooling system for leaks
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

I wanted to thank you for the information you have provided. have changed the coolant as per your instructions. The truck is running fine.

The only problem which i could feel today that my charging gauge was showing a readining in between its first mark and 14. It always use to be in the range of 13 to 14. I had thoughrly flushed the system. Do you think there could be any problem like that after flushing the engine.

At the moment the starting is good. The AC and the head lights are also going well. The only difference is that there was a slight dim light in the dash board needles. may i have not given a long run to the truck for the last so many days, and whenever i go out it is always running with the AC on and that too with very short distances.

Do you think that the alternator is dying now? And what are the symtoms when the alternator dies?
Regards
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The symtoms of an alternator going bad may well be as you described. I had little warning when mine died in the '97 ZR2. I wish I could help you more on this but, am unable. I am still working on what we discussed :)

There should not be any connection between your problem and changing coolant. Remember your truck is 9 years old and things will keep failing but, the cost of repair should be a better investment than making the payments on a new truck.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Qamar
Crew
Crew

Post by Qamar »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Will see and observe how this alternator behaves.

Well I am anxiously waiting for the thing we had discussed. For an old truck you need to have lot of information

Thanking you once again for your feedback