Buzzing Noise Behind Guage Cluster

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Buzzing Noise Behind Guage Cluster

Post by killian96ss »

Has anyone else developed a buzzing/whirling type noise behind their dash? It sounds alot like an old speedometer cable when it starts going bad. We don't have a speedometer cable right? I thought the VSS sends a signal to the speedometer to actuate the needle. How about the tach? Doesn't it also use a signal to move the needle? The dealer said it was an exhaust leak that I was hearing, and one of their techs told me the factory exhaust doh-nuts are too small and the replacement ones are twice as thick. Well they did replace the gaskets, but the noise is still there. :x I am now being told that the noise could be the small electric motors behind the guages. :?

Steve
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

just depends -- my Truck has had a sound behind the dash for as long as I have owned the truck - took it to the dealer twice - both times they told me it is normal.

to me it sounds like one of those heat-lamp timers you find in the bathrooms at hotels - the dial type timer.

It comes and goes with the accellerator pedal-I've always though it was a vacuum leak back there somewhere, or maybe just on the other side of the firewall. But one of the worst things about cars is that metal surfaces are resonant, and sometimes sounds like that can travel from other areas where they are originating.

I've just gotten used to it.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

haven't heard any noises from the dash on mine yet!!! i may have to turn down the radio to hear them though!! :lol:
it may be a line vibrating against the firewall!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine had a similar noise quite some time ago. - Noise from intake?

Check to see if the PCV solenoid is making contact with the throttle cable or anything that might transfer the noise to the firewall.

My noise sounded kind of like a little kid on a bicycle with cards in the spokes. I could only hear it with the windows up sitting at a stop light.

Here is another thread on the subject - ticking and driving me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Ah hah! I thought maybe I was going crazy! Mine just developed after I did the TB crank last night! Coincidence??? Mine seems to only do it as I step on the gas.
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

adrenalnjunky wrote:It comes and goes with the accellerator pedal.
I knew I forgot some descriptive info. :lol: This is exactly what mine does. The noise is loudest when accelerating or under a load and quieter when at a steady speed. The noise definitely varies with speed. I can't seem to find anything on the engine side that could be vibrating or making any contact with the firewall. It really sound like it's coming from right behind the gauge area. :? Do we have any cables on the speedometer or tach, or are both electric actuated? I noticed at the end of this topic ticking and driving me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! that Maximous had said his odometer cable had broken. :? Now I'm confused again! :lol:

Steve
teresav
Regular
Regular

Post by teresav »

fyi-That's the sound mine made when the fuel line was vibrating against the transmission housing..........a speedometer cable. Got louder when you accelerated. It was sort of a recall on certain year vehicles.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

well then mine is backwards - my noise goes away when you give it a little throttle, so it does sound like we are dealing with 2 different issues.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

teresav wrote:fyi-That's the sound mine made when the fuel line was vibrating against the transmission housing..........a speedometer cable. Got louder when you accelerated. It was sort of a recall on certain year vehicles.
Thanks, I will check that too. I still don't know if our trucks have cables? :? I want to get under there to look, but it seems like it's always raining here. :roll:

Steve
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I'm pretty sure I have had my cluster out and dont remember a cable - thought it was all electric.

that being said - it is possible that there is a cable running somewhere to a sensor that then interperets that data to the BCM? Dunno.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

My wifes 2000 Blazer did that a long time ago. Technician said he insulated the PVC vale with a piecs of rubber hose where it was making contact with the firewall, or something like that. Sounds just like you described. Took them 3 visits to find it.

There are no Speedo cables any longer. All electronic.....that is what I thought it was too!
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I seem to have the same problem when I accelerate but my problem didn't start happening until right after the body lift. I also aquired a sound that is similar to a loose heat shield. This also occurred right after the body lift and is only present when in gear. If I put it in park, it goes away.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]