Rear Brakes

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Rear Brakes

Post by jeff024 »

My rear brakes seem to slip (I think) after I wash my truck everythings fine and within a day or so it sounds like the rear brakes dont engage all the way, pretty much the same sound that it would make if you were sitting on a hill and let your foot off the brake slightly.Anyone have a clue what this could be or how I can fix it?And yes my pads are fine.Is there an adjustment?
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Rear Brakes

Post by killian96ss »

jeff024 wrote:it sounds like the rear brakes dont engage all the way
Why do you think that they are not engaging? Does your CC take longer to stop? Are there any other symptoms that make you think something is wrong?
jeff024 wrote:Is there an adjustment?
Disc brakes are self adjusting. Do you know anyone with a temperature gun? If you do, try making a couple of hard stops and then check all 4 rotor temps and you will see if any of them aren't getting hot :)

Steve
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

killian96ss wrote:
jeff024 wrote:it sounds like the rear brakes dont engage all the way
Why do you think that they are not engaging? Does your CC take longer to stop?
Maybe truck rolls with parking brake engaged?

I'm pretty sure someone (HJ most likely) posted a pic of the parking brake cable adjuster not too long ago when someone else asked about p-brake not releasing properly. I'll look around for the pic.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Hmm... I found the thread but there is no such pic there. I must've been thinking of something else.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Ok, now I'm confused. :lol: Are we talking about the e-brake, or just the rear brakes not helping to slow the truck? :?

Steve
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

killian96ss wrote:Disc brakes are self adjusting. Do you know anyone with a temperature gun? If you do, try making a couple of hard stops and then check all 4 rotor temps and you will see if any of them aren't getting hot :)

Steve
Havent taken my brakes off to look, but the other vehicle I have with 4wheel disc (Lincoln LSC) has an auto-adjusting disc rear brake.. Whenever you set the parking brake, the system that pulls the brake on has a ratcheting adjuster that as the pads wear it keeps the pads the same distance off the disc.. I have no idea if the S10 system uses anything simialr or not?
On the Lincoln the way to tell is when you pull the rear brakes, you have to TURN the center piston back into the caliper and not just push it in, to make room for new brakes. It will push in the distance of the brake system travel, then the rest of the way in it turns to screw the ratched section back into the caliper.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No ratcheting adjusters on our brakes. The rear calipers act much like the front calipers.

The difference is the emergency brake mechanism.

The rotor "hat" is the drum for the emergency brake. There is a brake shoe inside. It must be adjusted manually , and requires removal of the rotor/drum.

Be sure to cleanout the drum from time to time. Especially after the winter salt, or a mudding run. Also the rear calipers are great for gathering rocks and mud. Pull the wheels and clean them thoroughly. This could be the sound you are hearing.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

good ideas I will mess with it this weekend if we dont get snow again its bitterly cold here
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]