specific towing question

Anything related to the factory RPO Crew Cab.

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

specific towing question

Post by kf6kmx »

I know the towing has been a topic recently, but have a specific question (that I entered once and the stupid computer here crashed the connection and I lost it, so typing again, possibly abbreviated description :)

Anyway, I'm selling my 29ft 5th wheel (obviously the CC cant tow that)..
And a friend who owns an RV lot called me about one that might be coming in on trade, we'll know tuesday..

The trailer details are:
'04 Wanderer Hybrid
About 22 to 24 ft overall from hitch to bumper
Comes with the easy-lift hitch
Dry weight 3800lbs, max guessed at about 4800, but who tows a fully max trailer?!

Here is a close picture of it from a web site, but a year newer Trailer

I know my truck is rated at about 5200lbs max tow.. The question is, any ideas how this would pull behind it?
I have seen a couple CC's locally pulling this big or even slightly bigger, one even has a toy hauler behind his but he is WAY low in back with it (I took pictures of how bad he drags with it.. Have them someplace).

I havent gotten the exact specs on the model that may be coming in on trade, hoping to maybe get some details on exact weights tonight, but a guess has been (from a similar model from Tahoe) at 450-500lbs hitch weight.. The Tahoe is 550lbs hitch, and 4100lbs dry, so we just took a guess at dropping the hitch by about the same ratio as the known drop in the dry weight (we know the trailer is 3600-3800dry).. They have a tounge scale at the shop, so if needed we can get an exact hitch weight if it comes in tomorrow on trade. It is currently being towed by a lowered, otherwise completely stock (no known airbags, overloads, etc), 2wd Tahoe..

If it would tow ok, and the price is right, I'm not opposed to airbags in the back to help level the load, although I'm guessing the eaz-lift would probably get it close to level..
I dont see where this trailer would have even the 400 hitch weight, I've seen the exact trailer from the outside and it looks like a 'lite' model.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or better yet, anyone have a trialer like this that can give an opinion on the trailer also?
I have had a pop-up, but didnt like having to pop it up to do anything, even load things in/out.. And have had 2 5th wheels a and one previous (very small) older trailer.. But have never had a Hybrid..
I didnt want to have to pop the beds out every time if I'm camping alone, and Don told me this specific model doesnt have to, the beds are separated by a closing divider inside and unlike the Rockwood Roo, you dont have a bed hanging into the interior when its closed.. The interior is just a regular trailer when the beds are closed, with the u-shaped lounge/dining table tuning into a large double (maybe queen) if you dont fold out the front bed. The side beds are also close doff making a hallway/room unless they are folded into double beds.

Thanks for any input :)
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

kf6kmx,

I Have Also Been looking To By A Small Travel Trailer To Do Some Camping With My Family...Going To www.rv.net And Doing A Lot Of Reading I Have Learned The Following.....

The 123" Wheel Base Allows A Trailer Length Of About 23' Max Before You Start Encountering A Lot Of Sway.

The 5200 lbs Tow Rating From GM = The Empty Truck + Driver (No Passengers)...For Every Pound You Put In The Truck You Subtract A Pound From The Trailer Rating.

An Easier Way Is Take The S-10's Gross Combined Vehicle Rating (max load for truck and trailer) Is 9500 LBS Minus The Gross Allowable Weight Of Crewcab (which is 5150) And That Leaves You With Being Able To Pull A loaded Trailer Weighing 4300 LBS Max.

This Is What Most People On The Rv.net Seem To Go By And obviously That Builds In A Safety Factor.

And Always Use A Weight Distribution Hitch It's Adjustable To Keep Truck & Trailer Lever And Spreads The Tongue Weight Between Axles Of Truck And Trailer. (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/).

Hope This Helps More Than Confuses You

Jeff
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Ps,

Here's A 19' Fifth Wheel You Can Pull With The Crewcab.

http://www.scamptrailers.com/index.cfm?PageID=27

Jeff
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

gocntry wrote:kf6kmx,

I Have Also Been looking To By A Small Travel Trailer To Do Some Camping With My Family...Going To www.rv.net And Doing A Lot Of Reading I Have Learned The Following.....

The 123" Wheel Base Allows A Trailer Length Of About 23' Max Before You Start Encountering A Lot Of Sway.
I used to pull very large trailers (99% 5th wheel/gooseneck) with my old 1-ton.. One thing you have to take into consideration is that is a 'rule of thumb'. The trailer axle position and balance makes a HUGE difference.
I have pulled very short trailers that were badly designed that were terrible behind the 1-ton (it was a ex-cab longbed), and have pulled 40ft trailers with it that you didnt even feel back there.
Same with the smaller trucks.. a friend has a race trailer (Featherlight open trailer with 'Nosecone') that he pulls with a 2wd v6 S10.. it pulls just fine, even though its a little over 25ft total, becuase the company that designed it knew what they were doing :wink: The axles/weight distribution is nearly perfect when it is carrying the load it was designed/bought to carry.. even though it is a good 12-24" beyond the rule of thumb measurement for where unacceptable sway should begin to be felt.
gocntry wrote: The 5200 lbs Tow Rating From GM = The Empty Truck + Driver (No Passengers)...For Every Pound You Put In The Truck You Subtract A Pound From The Trailer Rating.

An Easier Way Is Take The S-10's Gross Combined Vehicle Rating (max load for truck and trailer) Is 9500 LBS Minus The Gross Allowable Weight Of Crewcab (which is 5150) And That Leaves You With Being Able To Pull A loaded Trailer Weighing 4300 LBS Max.
Again though that is rating for a truck that is 100% loaded to the limit.. with a typical load, and 100% stock suspension/towing package.. A typical load with the trailer, most of the weight would be in the trailer, but maybe a generator, fishing gear, etc in the truck.. so you can transfer a large amount of the capacity back to the trailer. I dont know, but GM may also be going by their factory installed reciever hitch, which is not as strong as the Drawtite hitch is (by about 500lbs or more when used with a weight distro hitch.. I dont know what brand GM is using on the newer trucks, but its opposite of what it used to be.. when I had the 1-ton, the factory available hitch was 1000lbs STRONGER than aftermarket, not weaker.. but it probably goes along with making cookie cutter weaker trucks.. The new Taco is using a compsite (read: PLASTIC) bed. :shock:
gocntry wrote:And Always Use A Weight Distribution Hitch It's Adjustable To Keep Truck & Trailer Lever And Spreads The Tongue Weight Between Axles Of Truck And Trailer. (http://www.equalizerhitch.com/).

Hope This Helps More Than Confuses You

Jeff
I never had to worry about the distro hitch before, pulling 5th wheels.. Unfortuently I dont like the layout of the Scamp '5th wheel', plus I have a camper shell that would be a bit of a problem :wink:

Thanks for the info.. I'll go check around on the rv.com site.. never been on it.
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

gocntry wrote:kf6kmx,

The 5200 lbs Tow Rating From GM = The Empty Truck + Driver (No Passengers)...For Every Pound You Put In The Truck You Subtract A Pound From The Trailer Rating.

Jeff
My owners manual states that the 5200 lbs includes the driver and one passenger. We have a frontier by KZ. It is a 2205QS-F http://www.kz-rv.com/frontier/frontier_2205qsf.php I have a weight distrubiting hitch with sway control. It tows fine. I do tow it with the water tanks empty and I am very careful how I load it. But it has givin me no problems. And no I can't do 70 MPH up a 13% grade, but I don't expect to. All in all the truck handels it very well. And we love the trailer. Hope this helps.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

I will keep my pop up for now.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd