$900 to drop on parts, but what to buy?

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

$900 to drop on parts, but what to buy?

Post by NO CLUE »

My truck (03 crew ZR5) is all stock for the most part. just a drop in k-n filter with moded box. being in iraq has an up side, more money. with only one bill as of now (my truck) i have some extra money to spend. To make that easy, I just want my truck to look like BobbleSmitty's truck. just going for looks as of right now. Guess im asking for a list of parts and prices you would buy if you had an extra 900 and a stock truck.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Shocks first, then body lift and tires. That will not leave you enough for a soda, so start saving for shackles, or springs and an alignment after the t-bar adjustment.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

What shocks you would recommend?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bilstein HD

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

Would the Boise Spring Works Spring kit be worth buying? how much is it?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think so. Check the thread.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:Shocks first, then body lift and tires. That will not leave you enough for a soda, so start saving for shackles, or springs and an alignment after the t-bar adjustment.

Thank you for your service!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

well i just bought a K&N FPIK intake from pruduecrew, a 2" PA lift , if maximous would sell me his flares i would have got those today as well. i have about 450 left to blow, time to shop around.
Last edited by NO CLUE on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

im going to be broke by the morning, i just got new shocks (Bilstein HD). another 230 down the hole. still more shopping to do.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

NO CLUE wrote:i just got new shocks (Bilstein HD). another 230 down the hole.
Those Are Not Cheap, But That's Money Well Spent :D
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

dont know if i should buy the BSW kit or wait for maximous to sell me his flares :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hold out for the flares. If funds run short you can always get a set of shackles.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

sounds like i will know monday if i get the flares. no more spending tonight. i hate buying all these parts and not putting them on my self. my dad has my truck while im here and told me he will do everything but the flares. guess i could start saving for a SL, or maybe a Supercharger. i still have a lot of time here so funds are not going to be a problem.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Add a supercharger and a 6" Superlift and you are on the short list for selling it. It seems that everyone who goes that far ends up selling their truck. Maybe think about a trailer and a toy to pull behind it. Or some new skis? Maybe something more valuable like dirt.
Buy dirt. Rumor has it that they aren't making it anymore. Land is a good investment.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

well the the mystery lift is for me then. tires, BSW kit and a programmer is next then. anything else you would recommend after those?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bodylift.
Then servos and pin kit for the transmission.
How about a good cover for the rear differential? Aluminum support covers are good.

Don't forget the interior. Be sure to add a sub for the sound system. Maybe a ScangaugeII?

There are plenty of places to go next.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

NO CLUE wrote:well i just bought a K&N FPIK intake from pruduecrew, a 2" PA lift

got the lift. my SGT just told me i should get an exhaust.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Good advice! $200 or less. Good flowing 3" in/out muffler and custom bent 3" pipe from the cat back. There are no real gains forward of the cat.
Be sure to add a nice tip too.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

you are going to be my guide to buy stuff for this next 6 months. hope you are up to it.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do lots of looking. There are more ways than mine to make the whole package work!

You just keep your eyes open and head on your shoulders. In harms way is no place to be thinking about your truck. Come home safe and enjoy what all your hard work over there paid for back home.
I'll be more than happy to help you both pass the time and spend the money as wisely as this community can possibly advise.

Another thought is to do some electric fans and a throttle blade.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

NO CLUE wrote:.........got the lift. my SGT just told me i should get an exhaust.
It sounds like you have a pretty sharp NCO for your SGT. Everything is based on what direction you are headed. Trails, strictly street (mall crawler) or whatever. The exhaust will compliment the intake and improve overall performance but, don't count on them helping a whole lot in the mileage department. Won't hurt you but, no real gains to speak of.

You can spend major bucks for exhaust and get pretty duals for a single cat system and not gain anything other than sound quality. That quality is only in the eyes (or ears in this case)of the beholder. I followed HenryJ's path and went with a 3" cat back that consisted a Flowmaster Delta 40 with a local shop installing it using 3" aluminized pipe. I get plenty of compliments and only spent $180 3 yrs ago. I spent a few months researching and searching for deals but, Brule has had a long history of racing and building for others. If, he or Steve recommends a "setup" save yourself some time and just do it.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

well NC has some good mud holes and beaches to drive on :D . sound is not a big thing with me, i would prefer more performance than sound. think i will worry about exhaust when i get back. no worries over here, we are trained and ready for whatever comes at us.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

NO CLUE wrote:.........................think i will worry about exhaust when i get back. no worries over here, we are trained and ready for whatever comes at us.
That is an excellent priority to have! Thank you for serving!

Reed
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

As other members have already stated, we can help you better with parts recommendations if we know how you plan to use your truck when you get back. :wink:

This is how I would do things, not necessarily in this order, but close to it:

Shocks (Bilstein HD)
2" body lift (Performance accessories) with shackles (Daystar) or a spring pack (Boise)
31" tires (your choice) and some 1" to 1.25" wheel spacers for the rear (front spacer can be done as well if you want a wider stance)
Transmission cooler (your choice)
Urethane sway bar bushings and end links (Energy Suspension)
1" throttle body spacer to help line things back up after the body lift and to make another 2-5 hp (JET or Powerdyne, don't use the air swirling spacers like Poweraid or similar)
Cold air intake kit (K&N, Volant, AEM, etc) or modified stock air box with a drop in K&N filter
Exhaust (single makes a little more power, duals sound better, muffler choice is up to you, Flowmaster seems to be the most popular)
High flow throttle blade (CFM Tech) or remove your throttle blade restrictor for free (same hp gain either way)
180 degree thermostat (Jet)
Programmer (Hypertech or Jet) custom PCM tuning (PCM4Less.com)
Corvette 2nd gear servo and upgraded billet 4th gear servo
Spark plug wires (MSD or Taylor)
Ignition coil (Accel)
Aluminum rear end support cover (Trick Flow, Summit, LPW, etc)
Transfer case switch upgrade (stock is prone to failure and it would be a good idea to do this upgrade sooner than later)
Skid plates/under body shields (GM)

This is a good start, buy obviously there is a lot more that can be done like fender flares, stereo system upgrades, window vent visors, cowl hood, electric cooling fans, extra capacity radiator, high amp alternator upgrades, tow hitch, hood visor, slotted brake rotors, extra gauges, Scan Gauge II, tonneau cover, camper shell, roof rack, urethane suspension bushings, leather seat covers, pre-runner light bars, brush/grill gaurds, etc, etc, etc. :lol:

As you can see there are plenty of ways to spend money on you CC. :wink:

Steve
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

this is the list i ordered this last weekend
- k&n fpik intake
- 2" pa lift
- Bilstein HD shocks
- SKIDZ fender flares - kind of got them

i will buy the next round of mods at the start of the year. think i will buy four at a time. thats my plan any way. thanks for all the help/suggestions guys.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i vote for a magnaflow muffler, and have a muffler shop do the pipes. couple choices after that:

piped or just turned-down after the muffler
single or dual
duals: out the rear, out the corners
tip or no tip
stainless pipes or aluminized
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Blackmobile
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackmobile »

Where did you get your Bilstein's? That's my next purchase.
[size=75]stock 03 CC
"Blackmobile"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Blackmobile wrote:Where did you get your Bilstein's? That's my next purchase.
Go to the Bilstien site and get your part numbers. Then go to Google/products, plug in the part numbers and they will search for you. $240 or less is a deal.
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

PerformanceProducts4Trucks.com

Order Summary Quantity Price
Bilstein Shocks
Part # 137179
10% off your order! 2 $107.91

Bilstein Shocks
Part # 137174
10% off your order! 2 $107.91

Subtotal: $215.82
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $19.21
Grand Total: $235.03
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Excellent! Did you try the google search or other method?
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

i just looked around for a couple minutes. i thought it was a good price. 10% off :woohoo:
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

Does anyone know if the BSW guy has an email? I would like to order the kit today.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

NO CLUE wrote:Does anyone know if the BSW guy has an email? I would like to order the kit today.
Boise Spring Works
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

thank you. ordered :rock: !!! All the parts that i ordered are showing up at my house tomorrow. My Fiancé is going to throw a S*** fit when there is nothing for her in the packages. maybe i should buy her something tonight.
rickscrewcab
Crew
Crew

Post by rickscrewcab »

All the S-10 membership experts have started you on the right path, and will help guide you along the way. I just wanted to say, "Thanks" to you and your buddies, for being over there. :clap:

ps...Go Navy...lol.
[size=75]2003 crewcab-flowmaster muffler w/dual exhaust and 12" stainless steel tips, cold air intake, color matched bug deflector, LED taillights, Lund tri-fold tonneau, projector foglights, clear corner lights, neft bars, billet grill, Huskey floor mats, molded mud flaps and a Hunter Grill guard. Mods for next years budget...2" body lift, fender flairs, bigger wheels and tires, CB radio.[/size]
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

ok im having some trouble finding 33X9.5 tires, i can find 10.50 but not 9.5. If i have to get the 10.50 tires should i go with 2" spacers in the rear and 1' in the front? I cant find a good place to buy the spacers either...........im lost
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Performance plus
I found three places still listing them. Check around and you may still find them.
If you give up , I guess you could go wider.

Ebay is full of wheel spacers.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

:x err.....prices........well looks like im going to hold of on those till the first. Sorry im playing 21 questions here but where can i look to get spacers? Dont even know what to get to be honest :?: . edit- i cant get on ebay over here, its restricted
Last edited by NO CLUE on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is what to look for: Ordering wheel spacers / adapters ( comparison and review )
Then search ebay for the thickness you want. Or contact Jigg for a price and availability.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

jigg? ok i'll look around. thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

NO CLUE wrote:jigg? ok i'll look around. thanks
Synergy Offroad. He is a member here.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

super swamper has a 32x9.50x15 tsl for $135.99
NO CLUE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by NO CLUE »

i knew it was to good to be true, i was well on my way to having all the parts for the mystery lift. i knew some thing would come up. My girls car (2001 VW jetta VR6) is in the shop again. forth time this year. everytime it goes in it cost me well over a grand. Never again will we buy a VW. till she gets a new car/truck she is going to drive my crewcab. Last Truck she drove was my Burben and she all most hit a BMW When she was on
I-5. Needless to say im not happy about the situation.