The Little Engine That Could, and why things arent the same

Everything else! new member introductions, pics, announcements, news..

Moderator: F9K9

purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

The Little Engine That Could, and why things arent the same

Post by purduecrew »

Ok so I wrote my post the other day asking what was wrong with people my age, and got some good feedback; fastforward to today...

So me and the girl from my grille guard post :D are driving down 1-65 this evening north of Lebanon, and traffic is crawling due to a wreck on down the road. Some background info: its been raining all day every day for three days. the ground is SOAKED. So anyway, traffics movin bout 20 mph and off in the median i see a truck and trailer, stuck and this white truck spinnin tires ( didnt notice anything detailed at the time). All the sudden without thinkin, I whipped it off into the median and stopped, thinkin traffic blows, ill help this guy right?? I mean afterall, pay it forward :idea:

ok so i back up, and get turned around only to see a white....
mhmm thats a King Ranch Powerstroke

yah, so i figured well i cant just leave now, might as well make an effort at this 3 ton hunk of metal... :popcorn: .................

6 minutes later( i poop you not), he was sittin on the pavement!!! 8)

the ole crew cab s10 , with him spinnin in 4wd, managed to drag him about 125 feet down the median and up out of the ditch. :cheers: i was floored. I wasnt expecting that at all. First thing he said when we got out," that woulda made for a good Chevy commercial!" I just laughed and said "no big deal, im just on my way home, noticed nobody was helpin, figured why not?". And wouldnt you believe he reached in his wallet and handed me a fat $100 bill. Now to some this may not be much, but to a college kid, this is like the lottery!
Moral of the story: older people, such as this guy, are fading out of popularity, and thats no good. And I cant say that the new generation is taking up the slack. I mean i figured he was goin for a 10 or a 20, but 100?!??! At least there are still some good people out there that make being helpful all worth it...
He said he had been there for a half hour and no one, police, motorist, bigger trucks he said just drove right on by. I hope that when I get older some young man comes along and I can pay it forward as I was lucky to have happen today.
Time to go spend 20 of it at the carwash :lol:
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Way to go PurdueImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

I don't have access to the super large smileys lik used above, but you deserve another one. It's a shame more people our age don't have that attitude.

I just turned 26 myself, and have been witness to many of my friends "fall off the face of the earth" because our normal activities "No longer progress them in a worthwhile manner".....What ever happened to sitting around with friends wasting an afternoon telling stories (usually BS), and what not.......Sadly along with this attitude they are developing, they are caring less, and less about thier fellow man.

Good job on keeping up the "good guys" rep for us 20-somethings...
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

purduecrew wrote:... I hope that when I get older some young man comes along and I can pay it forward as I was lucky to have happen today.
Keep that attitude and it will come back to greet you. I think it is great that you were not only prepared to help, but that he was prepared to compensate you.
I am sure that calling a wrecker would have cost more, although insurance may have paid for it.
I have gone out of my way to help others countless times. The feeling afterward is payment enough. When I have been of assistance, I tell them to stop and help someone the next chance they get. It is a small world and the next person may be me or my family :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

This is the kind of stuff I like to hear! :thumb: It's nice to see that there are still people who care about others who need help. I have pulled out several stuck vehicles with my CC without ever asking for anything in return. You deserve a big pat on the back Purdue. :wink: I once pulled a 94 Suburban out of a ditch in a snow storm with the CC and the owner of that truck was shocked that my little truck got him out. 8) I hope all the Crew Cab members gets a chance to read this topic and learn something from it. :idea:

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Like I said before, Your parents did a good job. :thumb:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

haha thanks for the compliments guys, i still dont know how it worked. P.S. the trailer was still sitting there on I-65 at noon today when I drove back by on my way to school... :lol:

and as far as my posts go, im not looking to fly my kite, im just merely posting my brainwaves on a forum, looking for feedback, positive and negative. So I hope it at least causes us to think, and maybe make all of us better people...yah I got a chance to talk to mom and dad again, and I think they are more happy that I have figured out what all that was about as a kid, than anything I have accomplished yet!
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

You da man! :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Purdue,

As a guy that has recently graduated from a 20-something to a 30 + 1 age grade - I'm glad that I I know guys like you are still around. I was gonna post this on your other thread, but it will fit here just as well.

It's not just the cocky/lazy attitude I see in the kids that are a generation behind me - i swear there are genuinely a lot more kids that
a) are stupider than kids were when I was in highschool/college
or
b) Have the brainpower, but are choosing not to use/express it cause of some weird social taboo around being seen as relatively intelligent these days.

It sounds like I was raised a lot like you - got a whippin when I deserved it, and was taught by a generation of teachers that still kept a paddle in their desks, and were allowed to use em. Hell - my mom would tell the teacher at the beginning of the year to wear my butt out if I got out of line. And they did. (Part of that was that my grandmother was a well respected tenured teacher and ex-principal, and school board member - oh and my grade school principal was one of her best friends - I couldn't ever get away with anything.) I hate to quote a Hillary Clinton phrase but the "It takes a village" mentality has stood true in my mind - too many adults are unwilling to help a parent raise a child, but it's society that will have to put up with someone who is useless down the line. We're hurting ourselves in the long run.

My recommendation - make sure somehow you get involved in the younger generation's lives somehow down the line - be it a church group, boys/girls club, sponsor a cub scout den, something. I'm still trying to figure out how I can do my part. Once I figure something out - I'll let you guys know.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]